Best Low Watt, High Gain Amp

• Thread starter dfarrington
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Speeddemon

Reaction score
There can be only one!

Ironball_web.jpg

Engl Ironball. :hbang:

way better in TIGHT gain than the Mesa Mini Rectifier (I tested both, went home with the Ironball.)

Already screams with the Gain on 5, without the switchable Gain Boost on. But the cool thing is, it does all the in-between crunch tones just as well!

It's not too picky with which speakers you use, though it will shine better with certain combinations.
Just loaded my vertical 2x12 with a Vintage 30 (bottom) and a Celestion G12-65 Heritage (top). Pure Awesomeness! :shred:
Oh, and the master volume is great! 20W setting is most bold, but it can still sound that great on room-speaking volume.

Ed Hunter

Reaction score
Pink taco! it gets the gain of the BE 100 but is a lot less powerfull

robertkoa

Reaction score
There can be only one!

Ironball_web.jpg

Engl Ironball. :hbang:

way better in TIGHT gain than the Mesa Mini Rectifier (I tested both, went home with the Ironball.)

Already screams with the Gain on 5, without the switchable Gain Boost on. But the cool thing is, it does all the in-between crunch tones just as well!

It's not too picky with which speakers you use, though it will shine better with certain combinations.
Just loaded my vertical 2x12 with a Vintage 30 (bottom) and a Celestion G12-65 Heritage (top). Pure Awesomeness! :shred:
Oh, and the master volume is great! 20W setting is most bold, but it can still sound that great on room-speaking volume.

Curious about this Amp - on Demos it does not sound harsh like some ENGLs , this and the Retro Classic.

Can IRONBALL do pretty, warm cleans like a Fender and also warm clear overdrives

and old school Marshall type tones, ?

robertkoa

Reaction score
Baron Snott Watt a full feartured high gain head at about 6.5 Watts.

2 channels, vintage modern switches on each channel recording out etc.

robertkoa

Reaction score

robertkoa

Reaction score

robertkoa

Reaction score

66 galaxie

VIP Member
Reaction score

:hmm:

Speeddemon

Reaction score
Curious about this Amp - on Demos it does not sound harsh like some ENGLs , this and the Retro Classic.

Can IRONBALL do pretty, warm cleans like a Fender and also warm clear overdrives

and old school Marshall type tones, ?
It's definitely not harsh! I hate harsh tones, and with the Ironball I can run both Treble and Presence at 2 o' clock, so that may tell you something.

I don't think the cleans are completely Fender-like (as I do have an awesome '74 SF Princeton Reverb to compare), but they are a full-bodied, warm clean tone with more character than most 2 channel-amps feature.
Once you engage the Gain boost on the clean channel, you get a little bit more of that middy Vox/EL84 chime. But if you crank the gain knob on the clean channel, you're getting into AC/DC territory of drive. :yesway:

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a near mint 100% condition H&K Tubemeister18H for sale right now, just retubed with no more than 5 minutes on them (not even burned in yet). includes tote (gig bag it came with) and instruction manual. $350 plus shipping. will pack WELL. delivery on receipt of payment. ask around here if you're concerned about buying online. i'm not interested in giving anyone a hard time i just need the cash and don't need the amp as i already have another small amp i like better.

Latest posts