• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Best Reverb Pedal for Origin 50 EFX Loop?

• Thread starter cruisemates
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cruisemates

Reaction score
I just installed a true spring reverb I took out of another amp (it was in a 2204) and I set it up for use with my new Origin 50, but the effects send on the amp is sending the springs into distortion rather quickly.

If you are using a reverb pedal in your Origin EFX Loop what do you have and what do you recommend?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed a true spring reverb I took out of another amp (it was in a 2204) and I set it up for use with my new Origin 50, but the effects send on the amp is sending the springs into distortion rather quickly.

If you are using a reverb pedal in your Origin EFX Loop what do you have and what do you recommend?
I'm currently using a Boss RV-6 in my O20 loop, and a Digitec Digiverb in my O50 loop.
I've also used others without issue. (TC Skysurfer, JHS 3 Series, Donner Vintaverb, various Zoom G3 multi-gizmos)

I don't use a lot of reverb, so perhaps I have low expectations...
The Origin loops seem to be volume sensitive, in that I notice any TBE in the loop gets more pronounced with increased volume.

Never heard of running an actual spring tank off the loop send.
Do they run off the same signal?

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
The Origin loops work best with preamp gain high or cranked and master low. I prefer to run it this way anyways. I like slamming the front end hard with an OD or layering with dirt pedals for most all my dirt and keeping the power section relatively clean or slightly clipping for most of what I play (80's Metal). If you run the master high or cranked the loop gets really noisy and messy no matter what you run in it. I find that normal since the power section clipping is pretty much no different than running it up front before preamp distortion which can also be a mess IMHO.

For the past couple years I've been using a JHS 3 Series Reverb and it works great with my Origin 20H. Before the JHS I was using a Line 6 HX Stomp (in 4CM) for my reverb for a couple years and it worked great as well. I like the JHS much better so it will be staying on the board for good. Both reacted the same way with preamp lower and master cranked. My reverb needs are very basic so I don't need anything with many options. It is an always on effect for me though, so it is a very important effect and has to sound great, to my ears anyways.

I'm not trying to recreate anyone's tones exactly so the type of reverb I use only needs to be what I like for my own sound and not what any specific artist used live or in studio. I don't like telling anyone what piece of gear to get since it's all very subjective. So what I use and like my not be anywhere near what you would like. I know I have never been much of a fan of Spring reverb.

Dozer

Reaction score
I use a Line 6 Helix LT with my Origin and it's fantastic. For reverb pedals, I thought the MXR M300 I tried out at a GC was superb.

Dozer

Reaction score

Pretty accurate Demo of the M300

cruisemates

Reaction score
I'm currently using a Boss RV-6 in my O20 loop, and a Digitec Digiverb in my O50 loop.
I've also used others without issue. (TC Skysurfer, JHS 3 Series, Donner Vintaverb, various Zoom G3 multi-gizmos)

I don't use a lot of reverb, so perhaps I have low expectations...
The Origin loops seem to be volume sensitive, in that I notice any TBE in the loop gets more pronounced with increased volume.

Never heard of running an actual spring tank off the loop send.
Do they run off the same signal?

I took an Accutronics spring tank and built a send/recovery circuit (solid-state) for it in a small box I can power with 9v. I then installed a Metropolis efx loop inside the 2204 and ran that to the electronics I built for the tank. Everything ran smooth as silk in the 2204. But putting everything into the Origin 50 (except the Metropolis Loop) I seem to have too much signal going into the circuit/tank and it is causing a really bad crackling sproing distortion.

I didn't get a footswitch with the amp (used from GC) so I am not sure if that is part of the problem. I have tried the TRS trick and that does get the reverb working, but I am not so sure the boost is working, I don't hear much difference when I pull out the pot.

I just don't know what to think right now - is this amp working correctly or not? I kind of think that if I use a reverb pedal I can at least see if the EFX loop in the amp is OK.

cruisemates

Reaction score
The Origin loops work best with preamp gain high or cranked and master low. I prefer to run it this way anyways. I like slamming the front end hard with an OD or layering with dirt pedals for most all my dirt and keeping the power section relatively clean or slightly clipping for most of what I play (80's Metal). If you run the master high or cranked the loop gets really noisy and messy no matter what you run in it. I find that normal since the power section clipping is pretty much no different than running it up front before preamp distortion which can also be a mess IMHO.

For the past couple years I've been using a JHS 3 Series Reverb and it works great with my Origin 20H. Before the JHS I was using a Line 6 HX Stomp (in 4CM) for my reverb for a couple years and it worked great as well. I like the JHS much better so it will be staying on the board for good. Both reacted the same way with preamp lower and master cranked. My reverb needs are very basic so I don't need anything with many options. It is an always on effect for me though, so it is a very important effect and has to sound great, to my ears anyways.

I'm not trying to recreate anyone's tones exactly so the type of reverb I use only needs to be what I like for my own sound and not what any specific artist used live or in studio. I don't like telling anyone what piece of gear to get since it's all very subjective. So what I use and like my not be anywhere near what you would like. I know I have never been much of a fan of Spring reverb.

Thanks - this is the best answer I have received from any site yet. I am the same, my reverb needs are always on and simple. I agree with you that the EFX tends to be over-excited on the O50. I definitely must keep the gain low (under noon) at all times or the amp just freaks out (crackling jumps in volume). So, with gain at about 9:00 and turning the master up to taste. I use pedals for overdrive (two stages) so I am not looking for amp overdrive.

But, it blows my mind that so many guys say they are cranking both gain and master to full. I could never do that on this amp, even with a totally clean sound. Very frustrating. I keep think I must have a lemon.

I just bought it used from GC Online and they forgot to give me a footswitch.

Chris Bailey

Reaction score

If you're looking for a true spring reverb, you could have a look at Anasounds they have a pedal that links to a true reverb tank.

dbf909

Reaction score
I generally like just a taste of reverb. For example, I rarely get a Fender reverb level above 3 on a Blackface or Silverface Deluxe or Twin. I love the sound of the deep surfy reverb but I just don't play that style of music.

I've got a number of really nice stomp and studio reverbs. I have a real '63 Fender outboard Reverb unit that is amazing - just not practical for use with the Origin. I like the MXR and the EH stomp boxes. I think I have an old Boss RV-3 but don't use it much. The Alesis, Yamaha, and Lexicon rack units I have are outstanding but again not practical for use with a small combo like the Origin. Probably my favorite stomp at the moment is the TC Hall of Fame - a lot of flexibility. Although I tend to use Spring and Hall modes 99% of the time.

I really wanted something I could put in the loop and just throw in the back of the amp and it would live there all the time. I initially picked up a TC Hall of Fame Mini to use with the Origin and it sounds great. But I moved it to a Mini board with a bunch of other mini effects. So lately, I've been using an ultra-cheap Mosky Spring (purple mini) in the loop and it really sounds natural at the level that I use it with the Origin 20. I think it was something like $30, maybe less. I think it is just built around the Belton reverb/delay brick that is used on many other pedals and amps. I power it with a 9v battery via a little adapter cable which lasts a good long time and it just lives in the bottom of the amp cabled up to the loop. I've had a number of other guitar players that have played it comment on the reverb and assume that it was a real spring.

So for me I would choose the TC HOF Mini or the Mosky Spring Mini.

ESPlovr

Reaction score

EHX Holy Grail Nano right after TC Flashback. Tried a TC HOF, but not as organic as the Holy Grail. I’ve used this combination in all of my Marshall rigs equipped with an FX loop such as JVM & DSL40CR. For Rush covers, I also add an EHX Electric Mistress. EM->TC FB->HG

Ironwolf

Grumpy Old Man
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the MXR digital Reverb. It works very well, and I had it on hand. I only use it when I'm playing without other effects. I have a small pedalboard to use with a single amp if I want to add drive or other effects.

RDR

Reaction score
I like my Boss Fender RVB pedal. Sounds just like the Fender combo reverb to me. Maybe better.

Caffeinated

Reaction score
Thanks - this is the best answer I have received from any site yet. I am the same, my reverb needs are always on and simple. I agree with you that the EFX tends to be over-excited on the O50. I definitely must keep the gain low (under noon) at all times or the amp just freaks out (crackling jumps in volume). So, with gain at about 9:00 and turning the master up to taste. I use pedals for overdrive (two stages) so I am not looking for amp overdrive.

But, it blows my mind that so many guys say they are cranking both gain and master to full. I could never do that on this amp, even with a totally clean sound. Very frustrating. I keep think I must have a lemon.

I just bought it used from GC Online and they forgot to give me a footswitch.
There's nothing particular another foot switch other than effect on resale. It's a pair of latches on a TRS. Any aftermarket two button foot switch should be fine.

TheChris

Reaction score

First - before asking for guesses - what's the impedence of that loop? Not knowing that is the first step...

jmerwin62

Reaction score
In my Origin20C, I'm using a Sonicake Ambience ($50 on Amazon), which is a combined reverb and delay.

Latest posts