Best tone 4 1959slp plexi reissue ???

• Thread starter JeanRock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JeanRock

Reaction score
Hi everybody i'm new to this but it seems i might get the ansers to my questions. I recentle bought a 1959slp reissue, with a 1960 lead cab.
Cab settings :14ohms mon
Presence: 6
Bass 5
Mid : 7
Treble: O
Loudness : 4

Now the question is can anybody help me get a bit more tone ??? I tried cutting the mids but it just doesnt seem to be what i'im looking for... Just bought a boss eq ge-7 ...Anybody gotn interesting presets???
Thanks for the tips.

rjtm

Reaction score
Even with the presence up, it will sound muddy, bassy, and flubby without any treble

JeanRock

Reaction score
Tried more treble but its really agressing ...Can it be that my cab isnt rich enough for my amp??? Sorry for the stupid questions it's just that I really want to exploit my amp proper to it's repution. Seems i can't get rid of that 1k frequece or somethin like that.

JeanRock

Reaction score
What cabs du you guys use and why??? was mine a bad choice...seemed to me like a good one...trying to get a appitite for destruction soud....i guess ...

maxime1122

Reaction score
Tried more treble but its really agressing ...Can it be that my cab isnt rich enough for my amp??? Sorry for the stupid questions it's just that I really want to exploit my amp proper to it's repution. Seems i can't get rid of that 1k frequece or somethin like that.

Hey!

First, maybe put the volume up, if possible, 'cause it will fatten the tone.
Also, there are common techniques that you can use to have a darker sound like bridging the channels.

BTW, +1 for bumping up the treble.

:h5:

JeanRock

Reaction score
Yeah! I kind of foud my sweet spot. still i find it souds great,a freind of mine (soud tech) tells me it might be in the 1 k range...he finds it a bit agrssive... I just tell him its marshall tone. Tried bumping the chanels...but i find it to saturated.
Hey! Got preset ideas on the second chanel??

Marshallmaniac

Reaction score
Try jumpering channels, then high treb volume 1/2 way to 1. Yes thats only half way between 0 and 1, not o'clock, just 1 on the volume control. Then normal volume at half way up (12 o'clock). Prescence 1/4 up, treb the same, bass half way up and also mids the same.

Plug a Boss SD-1 (or) DS-1 between your guitar and the amp and play. Appetite for destruction.

The reason for the high treb volume to be only half way to '1' on the dial is because the bright cap sounds great there, and it's still loud as hell. I find this blended with the normal/bass channel at half way sounds great. You may have to adjust it ever so slightly either way (up or down) depending on cabinet but you get the general idea. Try it, I think you'll really love it. I leave the amp set like that for ANY gig and never change, unless I feel like cranking the high treble channel to 10 and not using pedals, which is very rare.

And I use my overdrive pedals volume/level control to control my stage volume, and my guitars volume pot when playing clean if the amp is too loud for the venue/time of evening. But 99% of the time I'm using volumes at unity and I'm playing full volume by the 2nd set.

What cabs du you guys use and why??? was mine a bad choice...seemed to me like a good one...trying to get a appitite for destruction soud....i guess ...

wreckingball

Reaction score
I agree, everything on 10. :naughty:

And put your seatbelt on...

Yea, gonna be a helluva ride!

memorex.jpg

Last edited:

Trick

Reaction score

Put an Overdrive pedal in the mix and jump your channels together! That amps wants that combo! A Boss OD-1 if you can find it or a Tubescreamer, If you want the pedal that will make that amp sound like any baddass modded Marshall with out any mods get the Plexitube Tonebone by Radial.
Radial Engineering Tonebone Plexitube Distortion Pedal: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

JeanRock

Reaction score
I'll try all...give you some news on what suites me better! Thanks everybody for the tips!

Riffraff

Reaction score
Turn that Plexi up and let it breath. Hit the front end with a SD1, Bad Monkey or similar overdrive pedal with it's volume at 3 o'clock and it's drive on zero, tone at noon. Adjust gain with the volume control on your guitar. You will be right where you need to be, and shakin' the earth. I miss mine but I don't miss my ears ringing for a hour after playing.

JeanRock

Reaction score
Try jumpering channels, then high treb volume 1/2 way to 1. Yes thats only half way between 0 and 1, not o'clock, just 1 on the volume control. Then normal volume at half way up (12 o'clock). Prescence 1/4 up, treb the same, bass half way up and also mids the same.

Plug a Boss SD-1 (or) DS-1 between your guitar and the amp and play. Appetite for destruction.

The reason for the high treb volume to be only half way to '1' on the dial is because the bright cap sounds great there, and it's still loud as hell. I find this blended with the normal/bass channel at half way sounds great. You may have to adjust it ever so slightly either way (up or down) depending on cabinet but you get the general idea. Try it, I think you'll really love it. I leave the amp set like that for ANY gig and never change, unless I feel like cranking the high treble channel to 10 and not using pedals, which is very rare.

And I use my overdrive pedals volume/level control to control my stage volume, and my guitars volume pot when playing clean if the amp is too loud for the venue/time of evening. But 99% of the time I'm using volumes at unity and I'm playing full volume by the 2nd set.
Yeah!!!!! Yeah!!! Thats it!!! Excepte i put my high treble a 4 and lower my volume (modified with a volum nob) I finaly foud that rich tone i was looking for. Thanks a lot!!!! F!"/$%? AWSOME!

thinlizzy96

Reaction score
For me on this amp it has always been as simple as cranking it! All controls on 5, except for the volume, which is always above 7.

Gblev

Reaction score
It never hurts to check your guitars controls. That's usually the secret for getting the right sound.