• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Best Tube Amps Under 1,000$ (non Marshalls Too)

1989Joolz

Reaction score
Hi, I play metal, blues, and psychedlic music and am looking for a new amp. I'm looking for a great clean tone and something that can handle a heavy distorted sound as well. I keep running into the DSL 40c Marshall and wondering what you guys think of it. Thanks

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
As far as plug and play Marshalls go the JVM comes to mind immediately and so does the DSL, these are two simple amps that have everything you need built into them to achieve your music goals. Also many of the Orange offerings will fit this need like the RV, TH, DT come to mind.

Len

Reaction score
Do you have any more requirements (specific time, features, number of channels, etc)? About 1,000 amps meet your requirements right now.

If you don't want Mardhall then check out Jet City Amps.

Ghostman

Reaction score
Crate Blue Voodoo 120 or 60 and 412 cab. A few minor tweaks and it is a Metal killing machine. :D

You'll thank me later and you'll have enough cash left over for another guitar. Win/Win.

Jaguarguy

Reaction score
Hi, I play metal, blues, and psychedlic music and am looking for a new amp. I'm looking for a great clean tone and something that can handle a heavy distorted sound as well. I keep running into the DSL 40c Marshall and wondering what you guys think of it. Thanks

Marshall 6100 or EVH 5150 III

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Cost will answer this question for you. What is your budget?

His budget is mentioned in the title, what we don't know is the size of the venues he plans to play. Does he need a 1 watt or 100 watt JVM??

Woods

Reaction score
What do I think of the 40c? After a couple mods, it IS the closest thing to an out of body experience I've felt.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Lots of options out there. You can go with the new DSL, you can get used JCM2000, JCM900.. Some JVM could come within your price range. Someone else mentioned Jet City, they're really good too. I just got the Peavey 6505mh and I like it a lot. The amp will go from clean to friggin death metal and do a lot in between. I've got to toss in a mention for that one for sure. Also, you could look for used Splawn amps, they're awesome too and some should fall within your budget.

slide222

Reaction score
best value tube amps out there bugera - as long as bias is right , they behave , hum free

I have the bugera v55 head and 2 off 2x12 - a great stack and all for a low price - you can't go wrong and mine has never blinked
i'm not into metal my self , so I don't know if the 2nd channel will get dirty enough for ya , but it seems pretty heavy, more than I could ever want , so i'd say yea

Winnie

Reaction score
Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue. Takes to pedals VERY well. It's clean is remarkable!

Coronado

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with the DSL40c. I'm sure there are a ton of other great amps out there, but this amp just seems to do a lot, and does it well.

Reactions: Len