Best UK/USA made 2203 2204 clones (non boutique)

• Thread starter psychic_fuzz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deftone

Reaction score
Maybe. Thing is, the 2205 & 2210 was a 2-channel amp, and most players didn't like the clean channel. It was dull, no sparkle, some had channel bleed. It was also ragged on because they have diode clipping. For me they were the best amps I ever had, tone-wise. Those things can have a vowel in the midrange that just sings. If they did reissue a mini version, I'd be the first one in line to try it.
I understand this "vowel" in the mids of which you speak. I played my 2205 recently and was actually blown away by how good it sounded. It's a killer amp, although it is true that some years were plagued with channel bleed. I'm not a fan of the Reverb, either. Mine is unplugged. Diode clipping never bother me at all. I've always used Distortion pedals anyway.

But I'm not convinced it was supposed to actually be a clean channel. It's says "NORMAL" and "BOOST" I think Normal is supposed to have some grit. I like it.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand this "vowel" in the mids of which you speak. I played my 2205 recently and was actually blown away by how good it sounded. It's a killer amp, although it is true that some years were plagued with channel bleed. I'm not a fan of the Reverb, either. Mine is unplugged. Diode clipping never bother me at all. I've always used Distortion pedals anyway.

But I'm not convinced it was supposed to actually be a clean channel. It's says "NORMAL" and "BOOST" I think Normal is supposed to have some grit. I like it.
Yeah - when you hear that mid sound... IDK, to me it can be almost haunting. It's a special character that's difficult to describe, which I find priceless. It seems to be unique to the 2205 / 2210.

dtier

Reaction score
Any experience with the 30w 6 knob?

Got one on the way this week. Excited to try it out.
No. The only schematic I see is for the 30 watt 8 knob/two channel. It's a 30 watt version of the 8 knob AOR50/100 but with 6v6s so I would assume the six knob is likewise a 30 watt version of the 50 watt Pro Tube that I have. It sounds interesting!

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Hey yall,

I’ve been going down the JCM 800 rabbit hole looking for more affordable mass produced alternatives to a 2203 2204.

Would love to hear everyone’s experiences. What are some favorites and which are closest to the original circuit.

Preferably US/UK made

Thanks!
Synergy route is worth considering, a syn-1 and 800 module would set you back £800/$800 ( new and warranted) . You have the option to send it back if you don’t like it , but I’m sure you would .

psychic_fuzz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Synergy route is worth considering, a syn-1 and 800 module would set you back £800/$800 ( new and warranted) . You have the option to send it back if you don’t like it , but I’m sure you would .
Interesting but im still partial to old ugly, noisy smelly tube amps ;)

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score

120 is a bit overkill for me at the moment but I’ve never heard of these. Thanks for sharing!
they also sold a 60 watt version...

rxa1nk4umo0c77xteiso.jpg

that's just the 1st random listing I found...

V-Type

Reaction score
what about the Peavey Ultra? they made a matching rack pre-amp (Rock Master)...

View attachment 153753
These have a shit ton of gain. I had the later Silver faced Ultra + 60 combo and it was very much 5150'sh and a Good Clean. I think the combo weighed 75 - 80 lbs..

Attachments

• 5ef4.jpg
    5ef4.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 4

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Oh nice! It’s just ugly enough to be kinda cool :D
actually, interesting enough, a buddy of mine has 3- ½ stacks lined up next to each other, on the matching A cab's, & they look pretty clean & stylish...

These have a shit ton of gain. I had the later Silver faced Ultra + 60 combo and it was very much 5150'sh and a Good Clean. I think the combo weighed 75 - 80 lbs..
I think they were the evolutionary precursor to the 5150 amp line...

they did make a pre-amp, as mentioned earlier:

peavey-rock-master-tube-preamp-2451967.jpg

it's the exact same pre-amp used in the amp.

My same buddy has one of those, he uses for recording, along, w/ a cab sim...

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Y

Yeah , I’m gonna build me a deep fried marshbar at some point this year
My favourite too although they're developing a Dumble. As if the world needed yet another Dumble clone but the fact that their prices are reasonable and I wouldn't have to pay shipping from across the world somewhere keeps me waiting. 🤞

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
M

Maybe. Thing is, the 2205 & 2210 was a 2-channel amp, and most players didn't like the clean channel. It was dull, no sparkle, some had channel bleed. It was also ragged on because they have diode clipping. For me they were the best amps I ever had, tone-wise. Those things can have a vowel in the midrange that just sings. If they did reissue a mini version, I'd be the first one in line to try it.
I thought you were first in line for cake Vin.