• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Bias dropped on 410H

• Thread starter Kelster3000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kelster3000

Reaction score
Hi there quick question…

My JVM was sounding a bit ‘mah’ he other day so I randomly checked my tube bias on my 410H and both sides were still balanced but dropped by a good 10ma since I last set it about over 8-12 months ago. I did change a couple of microphones pre amp tubes about a month ago.. and wondered whether this caused the drop? I set both side back to 74ma’s I’ll of course keep an eye on it over the next week just wonder if the pre amp tube change impacted on the drop…

TheKman76

Reaction score
Negative. If the power valves are old or if there is a change in your local supply voltages you can expect this sort of thing.

Did it sound alright after re-biasing?

Kelster3000

Reaction score
It sounded fine after re-biasing.. the power tubes are about 5 years old.

Kelster3000

Reaction score
That's a long way from new, does it get some use?
It certainly does, rehearsal once a week at pretty high volume (we are a loud band) .. plus a few home sessions at low volume throughout the week… so certainly used… I’ll expect a power tube failure at some point then…

PelliX

Reaction score

Ken Underwood

VIP Member
Reaction score

StingRay85

Reaction score
Technically, an electron cannot boil. It doesn't have a melting point nor boiling point. We need to be on a molecular level to have these kind of physical effects ;-)

Resident 217

Reaction score
I had a ? I dont know what it actually is but there is a hiss sound I case only describe as lightly inhaling through ones nose.

PelliX

Reaction score
Yes you are correct, i would of hoped that George would have replied

Well, you replied in a different thread and didn't tag him, either - the only reason I noticed is because of the interesting concept of 'boiling off electrons'. Well, that and the fact I seem to spend too much time here with you guys. ;)

@StingRay85 is right though - so, for argument's sake we can say that the sound of boiling electrons would be... absolute silence!

I had a ? I dont know what it actually is but there is a hiss sound I case only describe as lightly inhaling through ones nose.

The hiss is caused by a lot of things; EMI, interference on the power lines feeding the amp, etc. Even cosmic microwave background radiation from millions of years ago hitting us...

EDIT: Here, have a listen to 'how it all started' :rofl:

In case you're wondering; that radiation is a large part of the 'snow' you used to see on your tele when between channels or without an aerial.

Last edited:

Kelster3000

Reaction score
Conclusion —-Thanks guys it was the output valves going… I have a spare match quad set of PM Valves that I know are good but used, plonked them in rebiased and it sounds a million times better and a much fuller sound, than the old JJ El34 2 valves… funny how am amps sound can deteriorate over time without you realising!

The 5 year valves had developed a harsh trebly sound and a definite lack of balls…

Marcomel79

Reaction score
Well, you replied in a different thread and didn't tag him, either - the only reason I noticed is because of the interesting concept of 'boiling off electrons'. Well, that and the fact I seem to spend too much time here with you guys. ;)

@StingRay85 is right though - so, for argument's sake we can say that the sound of boiling electrons would be... absolute silence!

The hiss is caused by a lot of things; EMI, interference on the power lines feeding the amp, etc. Even cosmic microwave background radiation from millions of years ago hitting us...

EDIT: Here, have a listen to 'how it all started' :rofl:

In case you're wondering; that radiation is a large part of the 'snow' you used to see on your tele when between channels or without an aerial.

Nonsense! Electrons CAN be boiled! I just made an electron soup! It was delicious