Bias filter caps question

• Thread starter krokit
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

krokit

Reaction score
The bias filter caps in my 78 2203 are 10uf 100v but in the schematics Ive looked at they are 10uf 160v?? :confused:

Gonna be buying some replacements so should I go for the 100v or 160v?

Cheers

Lane Sparber

VIP Member
Reaction score
The bias filter caps in my 78 2203 are 10uf 100v but in the schematics Ive looked at they are 10uf 160v?? :confused:

Gonna be buying some replacements so should I go for the 100v or 160v?

Cheers

100v is fine. 160v will also work. You can always go UP in voltage from spec, but never down.

I'd personally go for the 160v for extra stability, but it's your choice.

Good luck!

-Lane

Joey Voltage

Reaction score
your not even stuck at 10uf, you can always go higher than that as well. Wont help performance (certainly wont hurt it), but if it is easier for example for you to find a 47uf 250V cap locally, than do it.

I usually just go for a 250V 105deg. Radial. Fits well, looks just as good, and are typically spec'd a little better than Axials on paper. I'm Afraid, that Sans that of what will become an expensive Boutique Niche Market, or reduced to maybe one or two values by a major manufacturer for retrofitting convenience, Axials For the most Part are on their way out, the vast amount of newer consumer electronics simply doesn't call for them TBH. You can already even see evidence of this by some manufacturers who are deeming their Axial lines as obsolete, and pulling their manufacture of them.

krokit

Reaction score
100v is fine. 160v will also work. You can always go UP in voltage from spec, but never down.

I'd personally go for the 160v for extra stability, but it's your choice.

Good luck!

-Lane

Cheers Lane thats good to know, I'll go for the 160v's ;)

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
I use Nichicon 47uF / 160 V axial lead electrolytic caps on everything. They are getting a bit hard to find, but I started using when I started working on the majors then I just started putting them in everything gives you a nice clean bias feed, don't know if that really helps a lot but it might. But in a Marshall Major it's mandatory you have a nice clean and stable bias feed

krokit

Reaction score
Cheers Joey and Major for the info. I can get them ordered now. ;)

Latest posts