• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Bizarre seller reply from Reverb (tubes)

• Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kutt

Reaction score
This has got to be the #1 most bizarre seller's reply I've ever received. They have what appears to be New-ish Old-ish Stock Groove Tubes for sale. Before you try to school me on GT, I know their rating system is unreliable and I know what I'd be getting into. But my question to the seller had merit at least out of general curiosity and to know what I'd be receiving.

No context. Just this (redacted for obvious reasons):

1693566965916.png

Kutt

Reaction score
These are not the droids you're looking for.

How dare you question the seller?!? He's probably off his meds or looking to scam someone way less educated in the ways of Groove Tubes than you.

Russ
I don't know what to make of it. I've seen the seller's name for at least a few years now and it looks like they've been around for a long time. They look to be an authorized parts dealer for Fender too.

Only thing I can think of is maybe they assume I know nothing about tubes and that I'm relying only on the GT rating system for my knowledge, and they just don't want to deal with me. Either way it was a very simple question to answer.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can solve the mystery

The seller should have been a little more polite about it, but the reason he told you they're not for you is because they are posted for a specific buyer. They've made their deal offline, then the seller posts them so the buyer can pay for them

I bought a foot switch this way once. I bought a reel to reel tape deck on Reverb, and after the purchase I decided I also wanted a remote foot switch for it. I contacted the seller, he posted a foot switch on reverb just for me and I bought it. I remember asking him how he was going to keep other people from buying it, and he said he wouldn't let that happen and for me to just hurry and do the transaction asap.

Kutt

Reaction score
I can solve the mystery

The seller should have been a little more polite about it, but the reason he told you they're not for you is because they are posted for a specific buyer. They've made their deal offline, then the seller posts them so the buyer can pay for them

I bought a foot switch this way once. I bought a reel to reel tape deck on Reverb, and after the purchase I decided I also wanted a remote foot switch for it. I contacted the seller, he posted a foot switch on reverb just for me and I bought it. I remember asking him how he was going to keep other people from buying it, and he said he wouldn't let that happen and for me to just hurry and do the transaction asap.

Interesting theory, but I'm not so sure it's the case here. The tubes were, and still are, on my Watch List for weeks. They are still up for grabs as I type this. Beyond that, there are multiple quantifies available. Oh, and they are listed on the seller's web site too outside of Reverb.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
I can solve the mystery

This is interesting,and plausible.
Interesting theory, but I'm not so sure it's the case here. The tubes were, and still are, on my Watch List for weeks. They are still up for grabs as I type this. Beyond that, there are multiple quantifies available. Oh, and they are listed on the seller's web site too outside of Reverb.
Maybe they are flawed,
and he's just looking for a buyer/sucker,
without the recourse?

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well damn. I thought I Sherlock Holmes'd that one.

Send me the asshole's link, I'll ask him the same question just to give him indigestion!

:fever:

*Edit :

I did it. Now everybody do it....

"Howdy! What Groove Tubes rating are these KT66 tubes?"

:woot:

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well damn. I thought I Sherlock Holmes'd that one.

Send me the asshole's link, I'll ask him the same question just to give him indigestion!

:fever:
Only GT KT66's I can see...
That seller lists lots of junk - nuts & bolts stuff mainly.
I'd bet they are clueless about the inquiry, and are afraid that @Kutt will return the tubes because they are junk.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
like this other vendor...

1693766399384.png

although, I bought a sextet, a couple years ago for $125. They were Fender & GT branded & from a reputable dealer - PentaLabs

but, if sellers commonly list GT tubes w/ the rating, that was just a bad sales conduct...

Im247frogs

Reaction score
The last thing I sold on Reverb involved about 30 messages from the guy. I'll have the money next week. Can you hold it. Can I give you 100 bucks to hold it. No, I don't want to use reverb credit, it'll mess up my credit rating. And on and on and on. The he finally gets the guitar (tried to get me to ship it to a different address, no less), and 3 weeks later, messages me and he says "Dude, I plugged it in and it started shreiking!!!" I'm like, have you tried turning the tone knob back a little?
The platform is full of total dipshits. 1000x worse than craigslist.

Kutt

Reaction score
The last thing I sold on Reverb involved about 30 messages from the guy. I'll have the money next week. Can you hold it. Can I give you 100 bucks to hold it. No, I don't want to use reverb credit, it'll mess up my credit rating. And on and on and on. The he finally gets the guitar (tried to get me to ship it to a different address, no less), and 3 weeks later, messages me and he says "Dude, I plugged it in and it started shreiking!!!" I'm like, have you tried turning the tone knob back a little?
The platform is full of total dipshits. 1000x worse than craigslist.
Amen brother! Most of the time you can tell on the first or second message if something is heading towards shitsville. Sounds like you had a handful with that guy. Oy!

Latest posts