• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

BK Butler Tube Driver

• Thread starter Biff Maloy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I remember these on and off over the years. Looking for some opinions from any owners although I did a search here and saw it mentioned but the threads were generic pedal discussions. Several big named guitarists are users.

Reason this has my interest is I'm using the modeled version in my Helix pushing a 1959 model. I'm stacking it with Helix's SD1 which is a lead boost but the Tube Driver is my base grit. Even though the 1959's treble input volume is like on 9 i have it conservatively eq'd so it's fairly clean sounding when you take the pedals out. I'm getting a pretty good Gilmour thing going here with my 59 Stratocaster with this patch. Makes me wonder what the real version would do into my SV20H.

jmp45

Reaction score
I'm using a 5 knob tube driver into random four holers, typically a super lead. I have it set to more of an EJ solo tone a hair brighter. It's the most musical drive I've experienced. It's number one on the boards.

pedalboards_05.jpg

Last edited:

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I'm using a 4 knob tube driver into random four holers, typically a super lead. I have it set to more of an EJ solo tone a hair brighter. It's the most musical drive I've experienced. It's number one on the boards.

pedalboards_05.jpg

Yours was one of the recommendations i saw in searching. I am the last person to compare modeling to anything analog but the Helix model has been a consistent one I've used. It seems to work with very little tweaking and just makes the amp sound better. Definitely has peaked my interest in the real thing.

Nice rig btw

jmp45

Reaction score
I've got the 5 knob version. But it's so big, I'm not currently using it. I will bring it back out at some point.

And yes, @jmp45 super nice setup!!!

Thanks Tx, I made an edit, made a mistake I have the 5 knob also. I run the bias about 90%.

It does take some real estate but for the tone it's worth it for me.

wakjob

Reaction score
Like you, in the Line 6 HX/Helix line...the "Tube Driver" pedal is the only one that sounds decent to me.
All the other ones sound fake or cheap in comparison.

I put that pedal in front of any amp model set clean/slightly pushed, and it just works.

I'd say grab a real one and give it a go!

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Like you, in the Line 6 HX/Helix line...the "Tube Driver" pedal is the only one that sounds decent to me.
All the other ones sound fake or cheap in comparison.

I put that pedal in front of any amp model set clean/slightly pushed, and it just works.

I'd say grab a real one and give it a go!

I agree. Hardly any of the drives end up staying. I don't use a lot of pedals anyway no matter what. I've got the SD1 (Stupor Overdrive) set like my real one. Signal boost. It sounds pretty close. The modeled Super Lead is set up like i had the SV recently where i had the eq really backed off yet had the amp basically wide open and was surprised at how clean it was. Fun to play on with that sustain and punchy sounding. Some post amp Echo, IR greenback 4x12 and R121. My Trio Plus is in this this patch also with some compression and reverb on it. Sounds really good to me.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I've got the 5 knob version. But it's so big, I'm not currently using it. I will bring it back out at some point.

And yes, @jmp45 super nice setup!!!

Thanks Tx, I made an edit, made a mistake I have the 5 knob also. I run the bias about 90%.

It does take some real estate but for the tone it's worth it for me.

Funny JMP45. I almost asked were you sure about the knob count because you'd said 5 before.

The 5 knob makes sense for extra tweaking. The size isn't a big deal for me because i dont use much anyway. My SV setup has 7 pedals. 2 are midi controllers for my delay thats in a rack drawer out of sight and one's a tuner.

Definitely has me gasing a bit because like i mentioned in my above post to wakjob my Helix patch other than the T D mirrors my real rig and I'm getting a pretty good virtual miked version of that. Everything has translated over well i think.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I've always been a fan of EJ's tone. I didn't know if BK did anything special to EJ's builds but I asked if he did please do the same specs on this one. He did and signed it. Not sure if anything out of norm but it sounds great to me.

bktube_driver_zpsmzq3oxy0.jpg

That's a nice touch. I've visited the site and that level of attention is advertised.

Certainly understand being a fan EJ tones. I think the first i heard of a TD was in Gilmour's rig. He's an inspiration in his overdriven Strat tones. What I'm getting from this modeled version with my 59 is its tubey compression seems to balance out all 5 positions where the bridge actually sounds fat for a change. It's an overdriven sound that has caught my ear before. Kind of unique and i know it when i hear it. I've kind of chased that myself so maybe this is that missing ingredient.

Last edited:

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Ive had mine since the 80s . I put a lower gain tube in 'em
I never got what I had hoped for out of any tube drives . I actually use it now more like a fuzz on my home board

I could say a bit of fuzz as a description on my end. Not a Hendrix kind of thing but a slight fuzz flavor.

Yeah. My memory of them seems to go that far back. I've probably had my hands on one. They always caught my eye but I never plugged into one.

jmp45

Reaction score
Ive had mine since the 80s . I put a lower gain tube in 'em
I never got what I had hoped for out of any tube drives . I actually use it now more like a fuzz on my home board

I believe the bias pot is suppose to allow for lower gain without swapping tubes. I maybe wrong. Mine is more like a fat drive way more than a fuzz.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of EJ's tone. I didn't know if BK did anything special to EJ's builds but I asked if he did please do the same specs on this one. He did and signed it. Not sure if anything out of norm but it sounds great to me.

bktube_driver_zpsmzq3oxy0.jpg

Cool! Mine is signed, but not like that!

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the bias pot is suppose to allow for lower gain without swapping tubes. I maybe wrong. Mine is more like a fat drive way more than a fuzz.

Mine has no bias pot .Tube swap's pretty easy tho'
My actual desired purpose for these was to gimme some "tube amp OD" when/where I couldn't have my normal amps. I found the Tube Driver more buzzy than what I was lookin for out of it

I don't know what tube I have in it now . I dug it out this mornin to mess around with it thru a blackface amp. I can get some OK tones with it , but I have the gain down to maybe the 9 o'clock position
I think I actually like the Tube Works Blue Tube better .I think the circuit in general was designed with less preamp gain in mind .I think i have a 12ay7 in that one . I also have the rack version of the blue tube which I use for a bass preamp, but it makes some great guitar tones as well

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I've been looking around and it seems hit or miss with these. Either loved or not liked. I'm keeping on digging info but I'm close to just putting one on order. I've got/had some behind the counter stuff but I'm definitely burned out on the everyday variety.

jmp45

Reaction score
Mine has no bias pot .Tube swap's pretty easy tho'
My actual desired purpose for these was to gimme some "tube amp OD" when/where I couldn't have my normal amps. I found the Tube Driver more buzzy than what I was lookin for out of it

I don't know what tube I have in it now . I dug it out this mornin to mess around with it thru a blackface amp. I can get some OK tones with it , but I have the gain down to maybe the 9 o'clock position
I think I actually like the Tube Works Blue Tube better .I think the circuit in general was designed with less preamp gain in mind .I think i have a 12ay7 in that one . I also have the rack version of the blue tube which I use for a bass preamp, but it makes some great guitar tones as well

That's interesting Alvin, I still have the stock 12ax7a treble rolled off to about 10 or 11 o'clock, bass 1 to 2 o'clock gain around mid way or so. It's not EJ settings, but it gets close with a nice edge to where my SLP is dialed in. Best I can describe is it's fat and warm with hair but definitely not in a buzzy range. Maybe BK has changed it over the years, I have no idea.