Blackmore's Majors

• Thread starter stargazer76
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Papus

Reaction score
I can't believe you were at the California Jam..... I kill you!!!!!!!!

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
:fingersx::fingersx::fingersx::fingersx::fingersx:

:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

Jam_I_ad.jpg

Papus

Reaction score
Brother that is truly awe inspiring!
You actually witnessed Blackmore blowing his shit up?

stargazer76

Reaction score
Hey guys, here is a great example of Ritchies "1972" tonehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETeumVKeyqQ&feature=related

DBi5

Reaction score
Hey guys, here is a great example of Ritchie's "1972" tone.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETeumVKeyqQ]YouTube - Deep Purple - No No No take2 HD 1971 Rehearsal Session[/ame]

DBi5

Reaction score
Great video guys thanks a lot.

stargazer76 has found a little gem MN.

Here's Take 1.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMJHyZG2UUE]YouTube - Deep Purple - No No No Take1 HD 1971 (Rehearsal Session)[/ame]

...and here is the ON AIR.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSNmJfsZbEY]YouTube - Deep Purple - No No No HD ( 1971 TVshow , Beatclub )[/ame]

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
No. The proper one... hehe :lol:

I take it that was with a major, hey major?
Nice sound mate.

You bugger, you! LOL That was actually one of the baby Majors (half power 100 watts) through a 2x12" cab. It's the exact same design as a standard Major except with only two power tubes and this one is cascaded.

Cheers

Papus

Reaction score
You bugger, you! LOL That was actually one of the baby Majors (half power 100 watts) through a 2x12" cab. It's the exact same design as a standard Major except with only two power tubes and this one is cascaded.

Cheers

Do you think it would be technically possible and tonally accurate to build a mini-Major with an exact Major clone preamp going into a single-ended KT-88 linear power section, or would it have to be Class AB KT88 linear, resulting in about 50w output?

I would love to get the Major tone at lower wattage and lower voume :)

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Do you think it would be technically possible and tonally accurate to build a mini-Major with an exact Major clone preamp going into a single-ended KT-88 linear power section, or would it have to be Class AB KT88 linear, resulting in about 50w output?

I would love to get the Major tone at lower wattage and lower voume :)

Hi Papus,

Theoretically speaking it is absolutely possible to build a SE ultra linear Marshall Maj. but tonally it would not sound the same because you will be missing the push - pull aspect and the Cathodyne phase inverter, which are integral parts of the major’s sound. Now if you did want to do this you just need to eliminate the phase inverter circuit and find yourself a 5000 ohm SE ultra linear (43% tap) output transformer and output wise he would only yield maybe 10 or 12 W. You will have the essence of the Marshall Maj. but you will not have the true tone.

vintagevoltage351

Reaction score
I was gonna mention a quarter Major!
I'd still be happy with a 1/2 power though...
What vol were you at in the clip?

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
I was gonna mention a quarter Major!
I'd still be happy with a 1/2 power though...
What vol were you at in the clip?

Yes the half power major is still plenty loud, but it won't be bowing the back of your speaker cabinets like 200 watter. Let's see the recording of that clip ( and you have to remember that is cascaded in the preamp section) so volume 2 (preamp) was almost dimed and volume 1 (master so to speak) was right in the middle of 0 and 2. The baby majors are still fairly aggressive, "you can hear when I start playing the verse part of the song you can hear the amp screeching and wanting to feedback." them there things are sure fun to play!:thumb::slap::cheers:

DBi5

Reaction score
Yes the half power major is still plenty loud, but it won't be bowing the back of your speaker cabinets like 200 watter.

It still sounds like a caged tiger pacing up and down waiting to be let out...

*Gulp*

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
It still sounds like a caged tiger pacing up and down waiting to be let out...

*Gulp*

I really enjoy these amps, that's all i can say. they are not your standard Marshall, but still loads of roar. the other thing is I have a custom-built ones which are fairly new with some modifications to make them run without blowing up. So I wish some of the guys here that are kind of interested in these amps had the resources, the time and the know-how to build one of these guys.