Blackmore's Majors

• Thread starter stargazer76
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Papus

Reaction score
I own one of Ritchie's former Majors. Andy Brauer restored it for me to vintage spec; it was a mess. I purchased it from John "Dawk" Stillwell, Ritchie's tech during the golden years. You simply MUST visit his website and join his forums! Being a Blackmore fan (I'm a damn fanatic) you'll be in heaven; all the tonal secrets revealed! His Majors were really modded; they had extra gain stages and 6550s instead of KT88s. His guitars as well had wonderful secret boosts, etc. that are actually purchasable from Dawk! I'm on the forum - hope to see you there! Here's the link to Dawk...

Dawk Sound Limited

Some Blackmore magic!
YouTube - Deep Purple - Lazy (1993)t

You own a Blackmore/Dawk Major? - photos, please :)
Two questions:
1) Why did you undo the Dawk mods if you're a total Blackmore nut (as am I)?
2) I agree, Made In Japan tone is awesome, but most of DP MkIII tone was harsh and brittle except for California Jam, early Rainbow was thin, but I love the tone on On Stage: have you ever been able to replicate California Jam or On Stage?

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Nice. I didn't know he was using Twin Reverbs.
He used the Boogie modded Princeton Reverb on the album.
Maybe he changed to Twins live?

Mesa Boogie Amps and Santana

Well don't believe everything you read Mate! LOL Abraxas was recorded in April of 1970, 8 months after Woodstock what amp did Carlos use at Woodstock? The next album was Santana III in which Neal Schon played on. Neal used a 100 watt Marshall on the album, do you think a modded Princeton Reverb would have competed with a 100 watt Marshall? And remember they recorded as a complete band back in those days, not track by track-part by part! And Carlos wasn't using the Boogie exclusively till the late 70's. I personally never heard about Princeton Reverb till you mentioned it, I had hear about Smith moving higher powered Fender chassis into a Deluxe combo cabinet again I don't know much about it. Plus Mr. Smith has got very rich riding on Santana's coat tails so let the legend live.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Hey Jan,
You know I think you're right, I went digging through some old pictures of mine and I found the picture that might have the amp you are talking about. I can't tell for sure but on the l left side of the amp and it actually says boogie. I think this photo was taken between 1969 and 1970.

scan17.jpg

cjrebel

Reaction score
You own a Blackmore/Dawk Major? - photos, please :)
Two questions:
1) Why did you undo the Dawk mods if you're a total Blackmore nut (as am I)?
2) I agree, Made In Japan tone is awesome, but most of DP MkIII tone was harsh and brittle except for California Jam, early Rainbow was thin, but I love the tone on On Stage: have you ever been able to replicate California Jam or On Stage?

Man, so sorry for taking so long to get back to you! Answers to your questions...

1. It was one of his back up amps - Dawk told me it didn't have all the mods. I bought it in a bad state - it looked like it had been in a fire. Transformer had to be rewound, but in no way was I going to pass it up! I had it cosmetically redone (except for the faceplate - I would love a new aluminum faceplate - I cannot find anyone anywhere who makes them!). The guts, again looked burnt. I got to thinking if this could've been one of the amps he set on fire and pushed off the stage. Hmmmmmm. There's also a dent in the formidable chassis on the inside indicative of an impact. I haven't talked to Dawk for a few years, but have known him for a long time. I really need to ask him if this is a possibility - if so can you imagine? So, I decided to have it restored to original spec by Andy. I could always send it to Dawk to have the mods done, but it's special as is I think. The history is still awesome.

SIDE NOTE - email Dawk and ask what amps he has FOR SALE. Last time I checked, he had a MESS of Marshall heads he modified for Ritchie but he ended up not wanting them; he was using something else at the time. I don't think it was the Engls yet. Dawk sells everything. His website is really out of date as to what he has for sale - just ask if he has any Marshall heads.

2. The amp is a goddamn MONSTER the sound is absolutely huge. As it is it will give you a heart attack - it just hits you so hard in the chest/body. I'm not sure if it could be represented properly in a recording. Also I haven't used it full out - none of my cabs can handle it. Money is a bit tight (as with everyone for the most part) so I haven't been able to get something with the proper wattage to run it through. I'm scared to death to use it with any kind of attenuation device and will not.

My favorite tone of Ritchie's, perhaps surprisingly, is the "Perfect Strangers" era. The live vids you can find are so awesome. I think the solo in "Knocking At Your Back Door" is goddamn incredible. The end seems all improvised and is untouchable!

I can post a torrent for a VHS of "Perfect Strangers" live - an entire show filmed professionally in France. It's not available anywhere.

I promise to take pictures in the coming days and post!

Thank you for the questions. I hope I provided some useful answers!

Papus

Reaction score
Man, so sorry for taking so long to get back to you! Answers to your questions...

1. It was one of his back up amps - Dawk told me it didn't have all the mods. I bought it in a bad state - it looked like it had been in a fire. Transformer had to be rewound, but in no way was I going to pass it up! I had it cosmetically redone (except for the faceplate - I would love a new aluminum faceplate - I cannot find anyone anywhere who makes them!). The guts, again looked burnt. I got to thinking if this could've been one of the amps he set on fire and pushed off the stage. Hmmmmmm. There's also a dent in the formidable chassis on the inside indicative of an impact. I haven't talked to Dawk for a few years, but have known him for a long time. I really need to ask him if this is a possibility - if so can you imagine? So, I decided to have it restored to original spec by Andy. I could always send it to Dawk to have the mods done, but it's special as is I think. The history is still awesome.

SIDE NOTE - email Dawk and ask what amps he has FOR SALE. Last time I checked, he had a MESS of Marshall heads he modified for Ritchie but he ended up not wanting them; he was using something else at the time. I don't think it was the Engls yet. Dawk sells everything. His website is really out of date as to what he has for sale - just ask if he has any Marshall heads.

2. The amp is a goddamn MONSTER the sound is absolutely huge. As it is it will give you a heart attack - it just hits you so hard in the chest/body. I'm not sure if it could be represented properly in a recording. Also I haven't used it full out - none of my cabs can handle it. Money is a bit tight (as with everyone for the most part) so I haven't been able to get something with the proper wattage to run it through. I'm scared to death to use it with any kind of attenuation device and will not.

My favorite tone of Ritchie's, perhaps surprisingly, is the "Perfect Strangers" era. The live vids you can find are so awesome. I think the solo in "Knocking At Your Back Door" is goddamn incredible. The end seems all improvised and is untouchable!

I can post a torrent for a VHS of "Perfect Strangers" live - an entire show filmed professionally in France. It's not available anywhere.

I promise to take pictures in the coming days and post!

Thank you for the questions. I hope I provided some useful answers!

Wow, MAJOR WOW!
I envy you my friend....
Imagine if yours is THE California Jam head which Blackmore threw off the stage!
It was probably always a spare, as Blackmore only used the left-hand stack and the other two were spares or just for visual impact.

My favourite Blackmore tones in order of preference are:

1) Come Hell Or High Water
2) California Jam
3) On Stage
4) Made In Japan
5) Live In London

Is the French "Perfect Strangers" video the same one from which "Gypsy's Kiss" was used on the "New Live & Rare" DVD?

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Wow, MAJOR WOW!
I envy you my friend....
Imagine if yours is THE California Jam head which Blackmore threw off the stage!
It was probably always a spare, as Blackmore only used the left-hand stack and the other two were spares or just for visual impact.

DVD?

Well I have never owned a Blackmore Major ever personally. But the first picture of the white Major I posted is a Cal-Jam amp and the one that was thrown off the front of the stage. I never like the Stillwell modded amps as I am a fan of the Made in Japan tone. The Stillwell modded amps are very thin sounding and brittle, not like the factory cascaded modded Majors of the MIJ period.

Viking62

Reaction score
I have to say, and I love all things Blackmore, especially during the Dio era, that the Rainbow in Munich DVD is a wonderful example of their live show. Actually the only example with Ronnie except snippets on YouTube. But Ritchies playing and tone are not the best, lets say. There are a few moments were he shines, but mostly he just spazzes out and noodles. In all fairness he has admitted to being stuck between putting on a show, dancing about and banging away on his strat...and playing creatively while standing still. I think his real fans appreciate both.

Lead break at 2.38, masterfull pick work and amazing tone and to think it was done on a 335!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO_4GsxumZ0]YouTube - Deep Purple The Mule[/ame]

stargazer76

Reaction score
I just watched the Purple DVD of the Copenhagen 1972 concert. During the first part of "Lazy", Ritchie tips and rocks his left hand stack to get a reverb crash ala Lord's B3. Now I know that Majors didn't have reverb tanks....Ritchie up to his tricks again? Is this a Major with a reverb installed, or a Marshall cab with his Vox inside?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZBc-RLN1vE&feature=related]YouTube - Deep Purple Lazy HD 1972 Copenhagen[/ame]

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
I just watched the Purple DVD of the Copenhagen 1972 concert. During the first part of "Lazy", Ritchie tips and rocks his left hand stack to get a reverb crash ala Lord's B3. Now I know that Majors didn't have reverb tanks....Ritchie up to his tricks again? Is this a Major with a reverb installed, or a Marshall cab with his Vox inside?

okay it's more Richie Blackmore antics, what's happening is he's shaking the stack but what you don't see is Fergie back there banging on the Marshall fuzz reverb unit and trying to keep the amp from falling over. Now in order to prove this to you have to show you another video, and what I want to watch for is after all the madness is done Ritchie runs over and hits the Marshall fuzz reverb unit and there you have it instant boom! Okaylook at the video at 4:39 and you'll see Richie WAP the reverb unit with his hand. But most of the time Fergie did all the noise. By the way you hear me talking about the made in Japan tone all the time this video is a great example of it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efJOk8ufWyg]YouTube - Deep Purple - Mandrake Root HD 1970 ( Live in London ) part2[/ame]

Papus

Reaction score
Are you saying Blackmore had his Majors cascaded as early as 1970?
I thought he was only using fuzz boxes and treble boosters in 1970.

Clammy

Reaction score
YouTube - Deep Purple Lazy HD 1972 Copenhagen

Sooooooo much drool-inducing vintage Marshall goodness in that vid!!!! :rock:

Cheers!
:dude::dude::dude:

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Are you saying Blackmore had his Majors cascaded as early as 1970?
I thought he was only using fuzz boxes and treble boosters in 1970.

Yes Ritchie had the major cascaded. Jim Marshall in an interview mentioned, "Ritchie used to drive us nuts at the factory,{more distortion here, more treble here, I wanted louder!} he was all is blowing the windows out of the place!"but listen to his live tone late in 70 and all the way into 1972, it's that real vicious driving tone and when he rolls the guitar off it cleans up absolutely clean. Now if Ritchie was using a fuzz box on the Marshall Majors back then he wouldn't have been able to roll off that clean. Not saying he didn't use a fuzz box in the studio or anything out it's always a crapshoot with Ritchie Blackmore information. I don't believe Ritchie was using the treble booster with the majors much.

Viking62

Reaction score
Mmmm interesting, I always thought he didnt use a strat until Machine Head. But then again maybe it was In Rock that was the last 335 album..

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Mmmm interesting, I always thought he didnt use a strat until Machine Head. But then again maybe it was In Rock that was the last 335 album..

the Machine Head aficionados say Ritchie used both the 335 & the black Strat with the maple neck on it, he still has that strat still! I truly don't know myself for sure. you have to remember during mt era Deep Purple was a band to go see live, not listen to on the record player.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Well guys I'm going to have to eat my own words! I had said that, "I didn't think Ritchie was using the Treble Booster with the Majors." I was wrong, a friend of mine from Germany showed me vids of the TB being used on a TV show. You can see it sitting on the Blue Chair next to the Major!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yGVCYmkaCY&feature=related]YouTube - Deep Purple - Into the Fire HD ( 1971 TVshow ,Berlin )[/ame]

Purplexi

Reaction score
I've seen every DP tour with RB since 1970 and the only volume issues I ever had was from those era-bleeding, Tychobrae PA cabs they used from 71 thru 75 for U.S. dates. As for Lords C3 Hammond, the frequencies produced from those keys into Marshall's, as with Keith Emerson of ELP, could really fill the ear from almost any seat location. Blackmore's sound, even from the second row, was surprisingly linear and of a generally tolerable volume level, cheers Ritchie!!

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
I've seen every DP tour with RB since 1970 and the only volume issues I ever had was from those era-bleeding, Tychobrae PA cabs they used from 71 thru 75 for U.S. dates. As for Lords C3 Hammond, the frequencies produced from those keys into Marshall's, as with Keith Emerson of ELP, could really fill the ear from almost any seat location. Blackmore's sound, even from the second row, was surprisingly linear and of a generally tolerable volume level, cheers Ritchie!!

So they used a US PA for the early 70's tours in the States? Because in Europe they used the Marshall PA (in the early 70's Marshall was trying to get into the PA business then) and the had an exclusive deal with Marshall to use their
PA equipment. And even the Japan tour in 1972 they used the Marshall PA. That's interesting, because in 1974 at Cal-Jam the house PA was a Tychobrahe that was the only time I saw them with Tychobraehe.

Latest posts