Boost/overdrive comparison (through Dual Recto)

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I thought I'd do a shootout/comparison of a bunch of overdrive or boost pedals as I'd done one before and that was a lot of fun. The results were also interesting! This time instead of using my JCM 800 Studio I wanted to use a completely different amp so I went with my Mesa Dual Rectifier. It's a very popular amp for rock and metal obviously but it's also known for being quite saggy or flubby sounding. That's not to say that the raw and pure tone of a Recto isn't cool, but I know that a lot of players out there do like to boost their Recto's.

So this is for a rhythm tone and the pedals that I compare this time are:

-The Maxon OD808
-BOSS SD-1 Super Overdrive
-EHX Soul Food
-Electric Eye Audio Mud Killer
-MXR 10-band EQ

All of these pedals have a different sound and features but how do they compare in this rock rhythm setting? I can definitely hear differences between them even though they were dialed in to sound kind of similar. Subtle differences perhaps but we don't mind that right? ;)

Would love to know your thoughts, check it out:

junk notes

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for making the comparison vid. Tight playing :)

-Can you redo and edit the last part of the vid, and instead of switching to the next pedal, that you should always reference the amp, then switch to the next pedal, back to the amp, on to the next.
Otherwise, you are defeating the purpose of comparison, in which you are trying to give the listener; in what you are comparing the (amp) reverence to.