BOSS Katana Fan Club

• Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kutt

Reaction score
How many BOSS Katana fans do we have here? I see a smattering of previous posts mostly with questions or stuff for sale, but not much more. I've had the MkII Head for over a year and it just boggles my mind how much is packed into them and how they closely they captured the feel of a tube amp under your fingers. It's not exact but I'd say it's 85% or more of the way there.

I prefer to be plugged straight into a tube amp all day long but for the price the features you get are incredible. I haven't done any recording or gigging with mine, just jamming at home using the GA-FC footswitch. Helps keep wear and tear down on your tube amps too if yer just noodling or practicing. I typically use the 0.5 watt setting into a closed back 1x12 cab with a Greenback.

My only gripes about the head are that it uses a top mounted control panel and there is only one speaker output jack. The Katana Artist line uses a front mount control panel and has multiple output jacks though. Not showstoppers but worth mentioning.

Ken Ops

Reaction score
They do seem good value for money. To my ears, they don’t really sound anything like a tube amp. Then again, haven’t actually played through one.

Anyway, probably a solid choice for a beginner, or for someone wanting a budget practice amp for home use.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many BOSS Katana fans do we have here? I see a smattering of previous posts mostly with questions or stuff for sale, but not much more. I've had the MkII Head for over a year and it just boggles my mind how much is packed into them and how they closely they captured the feel of a tube amp under your fingers. It's not exact but I'd say it's 85% or more of the way there.

I prefer to be plugged straight into a tube amp all day long but for the price the features you get are incredible. I haven't done any recording or gigging with mine, just jamming at home using the GA-FC footswitch. Helps keep wear and tear down on your tube amps too if yer just noodling or practicing. I typically use the 0.5 watt setting into a closed back 1x12 cab with a Greenback.

My only gripes about the head are that it uses a top mounted control panel and there is only one speaker output jack. The Katana Artist line uses a front mount control panel and has multiple output jacks though. Not showstoppers but worth mentioning.
I had one for a while - 100H MkII with the GA-FC & 212.
It's a very cool amp with a lot of options.
Hook it up to a PC with the Boss Tone Studio and the possibilities are mind boggling.
If you like Boss pedals, most of the popular ones are in there to put in the presets.

The top mounted controls were annoying, I set mine face down on the 212 cab to see the controls.
The one 8-ohm jack wasn't a problem with the stock 212, but why amp builders seem to ignore the fact that most buyers want speaker options is baffling.
I never use 4+ channels and usually tweak one setting on a modeling amp with a boost on/off, and just leave it there - so I wind up wondering why I need all these options...

Sold mine recently because I was just using other amps, and I have other modelers too.
Basically, got a JCA20HV for what I sold the Katana for.
Kept the cab for the Jet City, and swapped out the speakers.
Put the 12" Katana speakers in my Code25MS. :D

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I was so impressed by the Katana mini that I want to get the head when it's available again. I want a solid state head and that is the one I am looking at regardless of the competition because from a price point, it's unreal value.

I heard stories about it and sort of shook my head thinking it was going to be another Peavey Vypyr or some practice gear like that. It isn't. My mini sounded great. I couldn't dial in a bad tone except with all the knobs up.

I think anyone into amp collections should most definitely acquire one. I am really looking forward to getting the full-size head also because you don't need to jack it into a cab to practice. It has an internal speaker that is bigger than the speaker in my mini.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
The one 8-ohm jack wasn't a problem with the stock 212, but why amp builders seem to ignore the fact that most buyers want speaker options is baffling.
The Line6 Catalyst is a 4 Ohm speaker and an XLR line out. Trying to find a replacement speaker is constrained.

The Katana head has an 8 Ohm speaker out option while the combo has a line out and the speaker is 8 Ohm.

My guess is that Line6 doesn't want you to use another speaker other than the one they provide and Katana is pushing to get their 8 Ohm 2x12 external cab for the head.

Line6 constrain the user over options because I think they just want people to use only what they think sounds good. So you can't muck it up really badly without crazy dialings. I bet if you put a 4 Ohm speaker in there it would probably sound not so good. The Katana head has voicing options depending on which cabinet you decide to go with. So they probably offer more options there.

That is my thought on the matter but again just my opinion.

BTW, the Yamaha THR was doing all this 11 years ago. It seems to have been a bit of a sleeper head because the Katana dials are very similar looking. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the inspiration for it.

Last edited:

Frodebro

Reaction score
I had a MkII 2x12 for about a week, it was a great amp and I didn’t really have any complaints. I returned it because I was really jonesing for the Artist model, which wasn’t in stock. I figured I would go with what they had and be happy enough, but decided that I still really wanted the Artist. So back it went, and after a while I gave up on waiting for the Artist.

Now I’m thinking about it again.

Kutt

Reaction score
I was so impressed by the Katana mini that I want to get the head when it's available again.

You said it man! The bang for the buck is just incredible. The 5" speaker is icing on the cake. I got mine around the start of the pandemic brand new, factory sealed, for $300 (U.S.).

The factory presets aren't that good if you ask me. I "zeroed" them all to a base clean tone and started over from there. If you put the time in to configure things then it will reward you. There is a newer firmware update with a Klon Centaur emulator (and more). I ran it a couple days ago and have been having a blast strumming through it.

Crikey

Reaction score
Its an ok amp, havent dug into reprogramming the effects
Mines a 1x12 combo 50
It sounds good
Would i gig with it? If a very small venue and one set? Would prolly bring my Budda 18 twinmaster
But for light weight it cant be beat
But it font sound like big iron
Sorry boys

RCM 800

Reaction score
I picked up a mini as a stopgap while I had all my real amps in storage for my move. It is good but there is just something missing so that after a while I really started to miss my tube amps. I tried the 50 combo and I didnt connect with it at all which sucks because I really wanted to like it. I think they are good affordable amps. Kinda like the modern replacement for Crate. Currently using the mini as a phone and laptop speaker to jam along to.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a 100 watt head and a 100 watt combo.

I have the foot switch too. Mine sound like Marshallz. Funny how I tuned both to be Marshally. Vintage and hot rodded. I find running master volume high sounds The best. Don't think many know to do this. Makes a diff. Just control volume with amplifier volume or wattage select. My master is just short of maxed. Tone and feel comes alive.

The head thru my 412 cabs sounds tits man!:agreed:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I've tried really hard to love the Katana, but I just don't. There's something about it that just leaves me cold. I have nothing at all against modeling, and I do respect the way the Katana can cut through a mix, but there's something about it that just doesn't work for me.

Having said that, and considering the low price, if the head version had more than ONE speaker out, I might still be a prospect.

ITburst

Reaction score
My first amp when I got back into music two years ago was the Katana 100 Mark II. I was very happy with it, and I still think it’s a great amp. Of course I had to get a Marshall for my humble collection of Gibson Les Pauls.
So yesterday, when I found it was time to add a bass to my home studio and was in need of an amp to go with it, I picked up the Boss katana 110 Bass Amp. Very nice!

I recall 20 odd years ago when I first had a home studio, I had an inexpensive Squire P Bass. I recall I was never impressed with the bass, thinking it was because it was a Squire. Of course I ran it into a Peavy guitar amp and it sounded so thin.
But I bought a new Squire Precision Bass and let me say, plugged into this Katana Bass amp it really is something else! This is how a bass should sound. I really think these Katana amps are well worth the money. Nice bundle of on board effects, cheap-ish, perfect for a home studio setup. No regrets with these little gems.

Oh, but I do agree with the poor design issue of the control panel being on the top. I do wish the panel faced the front. Rather inconvenient.

Last edited:

M JUBE 64

Reaction score
I've had the Boss Artist MK II for over a year now. Solid SS amp, but I have found myself always trying to tweak that perfect tone and never completely getting there. There are way too many options trying to do the same thing.... I've done more tweaks than I've done playing, it seems. Since I recently bought the PRS HDRX 20, I am actually playing a lot more! set it and forget it! Perfect tube perfection to my ears. For the price point, the KATANA is a great deal but doesn't have that special tone and feel that tubes will give you.

ido1957

Reaction score
I have a MKI and a MKII combo, the latest as a backup "just in case". I gig it weekly in a house band and find it gets the job done. Its portable, lighter than my half stack and has every pedal known to man (well kinda). I prefer Marshall but couldn't deal with the DSL20C with all its noise when I bought one a few years back. The Katana is not a tube amp, which I prefer, but like I said it gets me by. And I'm retired and have zero disposable income so I'll stick with the Katana for the foreseeable future.

Kutt

Reaction score
I've had the Boss Artist MK II for over a year now. Solid SS amp, but I have found myself always trying to tweak that perfect tone and never completely getting there. There are way too many options trying to do the same thing.... I've done more tweaks than I've done playing, it seems. Since I recently bought the PRS HDRX 20, I am actually playing a lot more! set it and forget it! Perfect tube perfection to my ears. For the price point, the KATANA is a great deal but doesn't have that special tone and feel that tubes will give you.
I agree. So very easy to fall into "options paralysis". More often than not I leave it on Panel mode and treat it like a regular amp by just using the physical controls. Tube amps of course sound better but for noodling or practicing it saves a lot of wear and tear on our vacuum tubes.

Rokinroller

Reaction score

+ 1 on Everything you said . Bought my Kat V1 a few years ago . Little thing never dissappoints . I did a little speaker out jack mod to it . Yes it handles an 8 or 16 ohm load no problem . Thing sounds huge . Crazy good through my 16 ohm 2x12 V30-GB cab !! So much tone and volume from such a little box . Its internal speaker is excellent all on its own as well .

Of course , I as well can't stand stupid top mounted controls on an amp . Too bad they did the 100w head the same , or else I would most likely have got one . Why do that chit ? Its just dumb ! I have intense dislike for top mounted controls on any amp . Grrrrr

Sacalait

Reaction score
I own the Katana Artist MKII. I bought it during the pandemic. For the price I think it's probably one of the very best values out there right now. The Katana 50 is about $250 amd TOTALLY gigable! In fact, I'm in two bands with the same guitarist and he uses the Katana 50 exclusively! What I like most about it is the "Panel" setting. That is, I can use the knobs on the front to adjust everything just like a normal amp. NO menu diving. It's the menu diving that's kept me away from these kind of amps. It's also why I haven't bought a Helix or such. So I agree with the OP about the Katana amps. It's very hard to NOT find something good about them. With all that said, I also own a Marshall SV20, Marshall JVM205H, Mesa 525, Fender Twin, Orange Tiny Terror, Vox AC15, and a Gibson GA5 Reissue from about 15 years ago. All are tube amps. So I'm comparing the Katana to these amps. It absolutely hangs.

ITburst

Reaction score
I don’t do to much of the deep diving into the effects myself. At the beginning, sure, to find the right sounds. Stored my favourites and haven’t really looked back. There’s only so many sounds one needs.
But it’s nice to have the options.