Bright cap in DSL40CR's OD2 ultra gain channel

• Thread starter JonG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JonG

Reaction score
Hi, I have a DSL40CR amp and I think it would be nice to be able to use the classic crunch channel with the gain set fairly high and then switch to the OD2 ultra gain channel with the gain fairly low - and actually have a bit LESS treble in OD2.

I like my solos to have less treble than my rhythm tone does.

So, has anyone here tried clipping the bright cap in in the OD2 ultra gain channel or know if could be a good idea? Or to change the cap value? I also don't want to neuter the OD2 sound.

Cheers.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
The general opinion is that the 40CR doesn't need the bright cap mod, so you may not get much help.

An alternative option depends on if you use the FX Loop or not.
If you put just an EQ pedal in the loop and set only the OD2 memory for FX Loop ON, that could be a mod-free way to achieve the same thing (and be tuneable too).

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a DSL40CR amp and I think it would be nice to be able to use the classic crunch channel with the gain set fairly high and then switch to the OD2 ultra gain channel with the gain fairly low - and actually have a bit LESS treble in OD2.

I like my solos to have less treble than my rhythm tone does.

So, has anyone here tried clipping the bright cap in in the OD2 ultra gain channel or know if could be a good idea? Or to change the cap value? I also don't want to neuter the OD2 sound.

Cheers.
C74 is an unpopulated location on the R circuit board ..

Last edited:

JonG

Reaction score
The general opinion is that the 40CR doesn't need the bright cap mod, so you may not get much help.

An alternative option depends on if you use the FX Loop or not.
If you put just an EQ pedal in the loop and set only the OD2 memory for FX Loop ON, that could be a mod-free way to achieve the same thing (and be tuneable too).
Wow! This is one of the most helpful replies I've ever gotten. I tried this and it works perfectly. Problem solved completely. Thanks a million, buddy.