• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Cab for DSL 100

• Thread starter sovietchimp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sovietchimp

Reaction score
Decided to go for the DSL 100 head, although I have no clue what kind of cab to buy for it. Any ones which don't work, any that work particullarly well with it? Thanks.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with anything that's got Celestions. Vintage 30's and Greenbacks are favorites with the DSLs.

Yep! I'll add one more which is a cab with GK100's. I am trying to decide between the Greenbacks or the K100's. I may mix 2 K100's and 2 Hellatone 60L's(V30's). I got time to think about it.

Anyways you can't go wrong with a 412 of GB's with a DSL.:dude:

xxGuy

Reaction score
I'd recommend a mc412 cab, 1960a/av cab, or the mesa rectifier cab

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Decided to go for the DSL 100 head, although I have no clue what kind of cab to buy for it. Any ones which don't work, any that work particullarly well with it? Thanks.

The DSL 100 head can power a 4, 8 or 16 ohm cab so you can pretty much get whatever you want.

Speaker selection is key and is dependent on your playing style, tone and general feel you're going after.

Ken

Reaction score
A 1960 cabinet with the 75 watt speakers is a good start. If you don't know what you want now, start with that and after 6 months ask again.

Ken

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DSL 100 head can power a 4, 8 or 16 ohm cab so you can pretty much get whatever you want.

Speaker selection is key and is dependent on your playing style, tone and general feel you're going after.

That's a nice safe tutorial sort of response.:shock:

You make too much sense and that can be boring...:eek2:

JohnH

Reaction score
Theres a wide choice, depending on price. Id suggest making sure it is a full 750mm width cab, such as a 1960 4x12 or 1936 2x12, or MC or similar by other makes such as Avatar. Otherwise the head overhangs and looks daft. This would rule out valvstate and MG cabs which are smaller.

If $ is an issue, Id get a secondhand, beaten up 1960 cab. Old cabs still sound great, and can be fixed up. You can sell it for what you paid, or keep it forever.

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
Get a used Marshall 1960A/B you can find them for about $400 which is good considering they are the standard Marshall cabinet used by many artists.

Landshark

Reaction score
Whatever you do, do not get the MC series cabs... MG and MC series cabs are terrible. I got a buddy that plays a dsl with an orange 4x12 cab. those vintage 30's sound hot.

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
Yep! I'll add one more which is a cab with GK100's. I am trying to decide between the Greenbacks or the K100's. I may mix 2 K100's and 2 Hellatone 60L's(V30's). I got time to think about it.

Anyways you can't go wrong with a 412 of GB's with a DSL.:dude:

How do the GK100 sound? :hmm: :confused:

jcmjmp

Reaction score

GK100 sounds very "full", but evenly distributed in the frequency spectrum. I little harsh in the top end, depending on the amp you're using it with. With a dsl, it shoud be OK, but I think that there are better choices out there for a all out powerful speaker.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

GK100's have awesome lows, smooth mids and restrained highs. They are not scooped or related to the GT75 or its bigger brother the GT100. These pair up nice with V30's which have that upper mid spike that many call harsh.

They are getting a bigger following now cause of their frequency range and how loud they crank at 100 watts. The lows don't flub but hold together at high volumes. Many who play modern metal are using them. Go check out Harmony Central Amp Forum and you will see many who use them as well as have clips posted of them. I think they do well with blues, rock on up to the heavier tones.

That being said if your only hearing about them here and don't want to look into them in other places to see how others like them then go with the standard Greenbacks or V30's.