Cab lining, When did marshall stop this?

• Thread starter purpledc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

purpledc

Reaction score
Hello guys, well after a long hiatus from anything marshall Ive found that no cab sounds as good as they do. I used to have a 1960a and b but when I was young and stupid I thought you HAD to have the matching cab for whatever head you were playing. Well nothing sounds like a marshall cab. So i picked up a very slightly blemished 1960A and it sounds amazing. However I noticed that marshall is no longer lining the insides of the cabs. The last marshall cabs I bought were in '99. When I got those cabs the insides were lined with a yellow matte that was not isolation foam. It was more like scotchbrite pad material that lined the entire inside of the cab. Is there a reason marshall stopped using it? Im also wondering if my cab could benefit from caulking the seams inside for an airtight fit? Im right now thinking "its not broke so dont". I love the way it sounds but To be honest I remember these cabs having a little better attention to detail a decade ago. Also with the back removed its not nearly as stable. Any suggestions or thoughts? One thing Is for sure, Ive missed my marshall cabs.

Clammy

Reaction score
The only factory lined cabs I've seen pictures of are from the early 60s. Did you buy those cabs used?

Cheers!
:dude::dude::dude:

chuckharmonjr

In Memorandum
Reaction score
About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
For one...dont remove the back. Its there for a reason. I dont know if Ive ever seen a marshall cab that had any kind of lining, and Ive owned 11 in my lifetime. For another, once you put the back on, dont caulk it. Its one of those quirky things that make a 1960 wail like it should. just that little bit of air lets the cab breathe whenits 'sealed' with the back on.

george76

Reaction score
it was around 1966 or 1967 they stopped using foam lining. If your cab was later than that it would have been fitted by a previous owner.

purpledc

Reaction score
Thats really strange. These werent used cabs. I worked at Sam ash music in buffalo grove illinois for about 2 years. I got the cabs from them still in the boxes. One was a 1960A and another was a 1960B. I believe both were just the standard marshalls at the time. They had the black cloth front just like the cab I just bought. They would have been made in 1999 or the early 2000's. But I guarantee you these were brand new cabs and both of them had a yellow lining in the cab that reminded me of a mix between fiberglass insulation and a scotchbrite pad. It was relatively thin with a second layer to it that was white. It was on all four sides plus the baffle and the back. It was stapled on in only a few spots to hold it there. It also reminds me of the same material they make filters for fish tank filter units. This is just odd though. My only guess is since they havent done it for so long maybe for that year they decided to do it again but it didnt last or maybe they had some limited runs. I dont remember the cabs being any type of limited edition or specially designated line. Really weird. I now wish I would have saved all my pictures of it.

Oh yeah also to nail down the year I picked them up right after the whole dagnal and drake transformer switch in the DSL100 head and the introduction of the TSL head. If that narrows it down.

purpledc

Reaction score
The only factory lined cabs I've seen pictures of are from the early 60s. Did you buy those cabs used?

Cheers!
:dude::dude::dude:

Whats up clammy!! how are them new boots treating you? No man I bought them new from a sam ash store here in illinois. I remember it well since at those times I was very picky and everything I bought had to be new and in the box. I wouldnt purchase anything off the floor. Now I look for everything with a scratch on it so I can save some loot. Thats how I got this marshall cab. It had a tiny tear in the grille cloth and they glued it. But its still a new cab and I got $300 off of their sale price for a tiny blem. They ended up giving it to me for cost according to the salesman. BUt Im sure they made a little money.