Can we ID this Cab ?

• Thread starter BluezMe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BluezMe

Reaction score
Strap Handle A Cab

000_3993.JPG

Small white String Piping looks original... with a Unique Quilted Pattern Covering.
Baffle Piping is the large Gold incased in clear plastic... obviously aftermarket

000_3969.JPG

Looks like someone with a Black Spray Can over Basketweave... and extra Holes for a different Logo. Couldn't find any remnants of the original Grill Cloth in the Baffle Staples

000_3978.JPG
000_3996.JPG

That Baffle Blows my Mind. Notice the T Nuts to mount the Speakers have been removed... except for the one screw that just didn't want to come out. Can't decide if this is Hilarious or Pathetically Sad.

Shame the person didn't try Heat or a Rust eating Liquid. So now it's time to get out the Electric Hand Held Grinder

000_4006.JPG
Maybe this is the guy responsible for the Debauchery ... Andy Lee. There's also a name spray painted on the back panel... difficult to read... if I had to guess... looks like Total Faith

000_3974.JPG

Slotted Flat Head Screws in the Back Panel... but there's such a mismatch of screws everywhere... difficult to know what's original

Have never seen Wooden Skids this Large... maybe replaced... but appear to be very old and worn

000_3984.JPG

Attachments

• 000_3996.JPG
    000_3996.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
Yea I do have loads from 1966 for some reason, just one 1964, one 1965 and about 7 4x12s from 1966, they must have made a lot that year.

What’s great about this cab is that it’s structurally sound and no one’s hacked side handles in it!

These were just working cabs back in the day so we’re often refinished with more modern (for the time) cosmetics , either that or spray painted black.

yours looks like it was recovered in the early/mid seventies, funnily enough that cab has been decked out in Hiwatt stylings, marshall never used that style tolex!

That stuck T but will be able to be removed with a nail punch/hammer, do it out of the cab and supported so you don’t break the baffle

The piping isn’t original, likewise the skids or handles

If it were my cab I’d probably leave the tolex alone(I like old band stencils) and just add EC pinstripe, speakers, repro handles and the correct hardware

If you need any parts or any tips for refurbishing hit me up

I have most parts as I’m always mucking about with cabinets!

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
For the covering, I was gonna guess Sound City, but I think the Tolex may have been the same for both Sound City and Hi-Watt?
Nice Cabinet!
Gene

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
For the covering, I was gonna guess Sound City, but I think the Tolex may have been the same for both Sound City and Hi-Watt?
Nice Cabinet!
Gene
Loads of British amplifier makers used it in the sixties/seventies, Simms Watts, Matamp, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, soundcity, Laney etc!

A lot of companies that used other coverings switched to the basketweave tolex in the early seventies (Laney and Selmer being two examples with their klipp series and SV series ) so it just screams seventies to me!

The same company(rowson sparfield) made cabinets for soundcity, Hiwatt and simms watts(plus a few others) so those cabs are all very very similar structurally!

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Loads of British amplifier makers used it in the sixties/seventies, Simms Watts, Matamp, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, soundcity, Laney etc!

A lot of companies that used other coverings switched to the basketweave tolex in the early seventies (Laney and Selmer being two examples with their klipp series and SV series ) so it just screams seventies to me!

The same company(rowson sparfield) made cabinets for soundcity, Hiwatt and simms watts(plus a few others) so those cabs are all very very similar structurally!

Thanks for that clarification!
Again Thankin'
Gene

BluezMe

Reaction score

That's Partly the Reason I wasn't sure mine was Marshall.
Everything was leading me down another Rabbit Hole.. The Strap End Caps... the String... the Excellent Quality of the Re-cover.

By the way... thanks to all for their valued input.

Sanded down the face plate on the Baffle a little. Among all the drilled holes for two different Logos... was able to match up 6 peg holes for a Vintage 6" Marshall Script Logo.

Knowing anyone can mount a Logo... I wasn't going to make assumptions solely on those... but now... along with the member's help... seems like it's the Final Piece of the Puzzle.

The battered up T Nut came out easily... knocked down the Burrs with a hand grinder... then extracted it.

000_4021.JPG

Found this interesting. What I thought was something insignificant.... might be very Significant.
Was looking at real old Marshalls... and could this be a Strap Handle for a Early JTM 45 ? Any Thoughts on this ?

000_4023 (1).JPG

What am I going to do with this Cab ?... I know what I'm not going do... a Full Restoration (leave that up to the next owner)

Have some ideas about Grill Cloth... I know a good Seamstress... Have a couple Tall 4 12" Pinstripe PA Cabs (poached all the Valuables from them) Maybe she can Sew them together... don't think they have any Value otherwise... maybe it turns out well... maybe looks like Crap.

If it looks halfway decent... I'll use some Large white Piping

If it looks Goofy... maybe a few Beer Stains and Tears would help... or... might get the Dirt out of the Vacuum Bag and Blast it with the Leaf Blower

I might leave the Gold Baffle Piping on and attach this Piece of Faux Pinstripe from a TV Cab... it's just going to continue laying around gathering Dust if I don't do something with it.

000_4031.JPG

000_4034.JPG

000_4001.JPG

000_4040 (1).JPG

Attachments

• 000_4001.JPG
    000_4001.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: