Cannot find info I’m looking for so I’ll ask here

• Thread starter Chrome
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those who know me, knows I almost exclusively play firebirds. I just love them. I tried loving the Les Paul, but my arms are cramped when I play them and they are comfortable for me. After stretching for years with the Firebird, I just can’t enjoy it. I am thinking about getting a Flying V, they appear to stretch out a bit more that the Les Paul. Those of you who play or have, how do sit in the pocket comparatively to other guitars.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Those who know me, knows I almost exclusively play firebirds. I just love them. I tried loving the Les Paul, but my arms are cramped when I play them and they are comfortable for me. After stretching for years with the Firebird, I just can’t enjoy it. I am thinking about getting a Flying V, they appear to stretch out a bit more that the Les Paul. Those of you who play or have, how do sit in the pocket comparatively to other guitars.
A V is gonna feel like an LP but with hot pickups. How about try a Strat or Tele?

RLW59

Reaction score
For me, nothing feels remotely like a Firebird. Hangs so far to the left that open chords are an uncomfortable reach.

Firebird hangs way to the left of a Les Paul. SG, Explorer, Flying V all hang a little to the left of a Les Paul. Pretty similar to each other depending on where the strap buttons are located. Tele hangs a little right of a LP, Strats hang even further right.

SG, V, Explorer are my sweet spot. LP's, Tele's, and particularly Strats feel a little cramped to me, but not uncomfortably so.

Since Firebirds feel "right" to you, you might get along with a V, SG, or Explorer. But there's a pretty big jump even to those.

I've never played a non-reverse Firebird. But I suspect they hang between the SG and LP.

Gibson has done Firebirds with P90's and full size humbuckers. Jackson and others make Firebird-style guitars.

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, nothing feels remotely like a Firebird. Hangs so far to the left that open chords are an uncomfortable reach.

Firebird hangs way to the left of a Les Paul. SG, Explorer, Flying V all hang a little to the left of a Les Paul. Pretty similar to each other depending on where the strap buttons are located. Tele hangs a little right of a LP, Strats hang even further right.

SG, V, Explorer are my sweet spot. LP's, Tele's, and particularly Strats feel a little cramped to me, but not uncomfortably so.

Since Firebirds feel "right" to you, you might get along with a V, SG, or Explorer. But there's a pretty big jump even to those.

I've never played a non-reverse Firebird. But I suspect they hang between the SG and LP.

Gibson has done Firebirds with P90's and full size humbuckers. Jackson and others make Firebird-style guitars.
This, is the answer I was looking for. The firebird is completely comfy to me. From a lefty stand point. It hangs further right which is what I like. Hence the reason I feel a little cramped with a Les Paul. You confirm that the V will hang further left ( right for me) than the LP. So I feel I may like it. Guess I'm buying a V lol. Thanks for everyone's opinion.

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
Might be worth trying a jazzmaster, it is an offset guitar after all!

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
give one a shot if you can, I used to just play Les Paul’s(still have about 10 kicking about) and my personal experience is that a jazzmaster was the nearest experience to playing a gibson on a fender, I know the spacing, scale etc are different but in terms of playing and feel it felt closer than say a strat or tele, I also never managed to get on with V’s, as always YMMV I wouldn’t bother with the newer Chinese or Mexican jazzmaster, I’ve never liked their necks!

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
SG is an LP lite but was rejected by Les Paul because he kept warping the neck with his grip. However, it is the alternative to an LP, and many go this way because it is so much lighter. It has its faults but if it is good enough for Toni Iommi it is good enough for me. Mine has P90s but you can and should use the same combinations as an LP has with humbuckers or whatever. Also Angus Young.

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem for me is related to the natural position it lays off the shoulder. You see I play left hand upside down, so bottom of the neck on high strings are more of a stretch inward with an LP,SG, and most fenders and it makes me feel cramped in tight quarters. Hence the reason I am drawn to the two firebirds and an explorer that I play. Looking at side by side pictures of the LP and the Flying V I can only assume the natural position off the shoulder would push it in a more outward position the the LP, and the others which is why I believe I would like it better.

Rudy v

Reaction score
Have you try the moderne

Attachments

• 16782178698042908914310860387759.jpg
    16782178698042908914310860387759.jpg
    815 KB · Views: 2

Rudy v

Reaction score
Have you ever try a moderne

Attachments

• 16782180539186119569774072857159.jpg
    16782180539186119569774072857159.jpg
    804.7 KB · Views: 0

Vinsanitizer

aka "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
The V is the ticket
I love mine an want another..
And I have 4 LP’s, plus an SG, and a couple of Strats.
I'm with ya, Mitch. I've got an R8 and R9, and they're great guitars, but I'm in LOVE 😍 with my new Gibson V Natural. There's just something about them. They have a character, especially up on the higher notes; nice woody tones. I want more V's too now. Thinking about getting the white one Gibson has right now, but I'll have to hope one comes into my local shop, 'cause I don't order guitars online.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with ya, Mitch. I've got an R8 and R9, and they're great guitars, but I'm in LOVE 😍 with my new Gibson V Natural. There's just something about them. They have a character, especially up on the higher notes; nice woody tones. I want more V's too now. Thinking about getting the white one Gibson has right now, but I'll have to hope one comes into my local shop, 'cause I don't order guitars online.
Right now financially, I can’t, but it doesn’t stop the want..

Must be patient, because I am not going to get rid of anything else to secure this venture for the V
As I sit outside a SamAsh waiting for it to open..

I will be on my best behavior..

Cheers
Mitch