Cap job pricing

• Thread starter Eternal Scar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Eternal Scar

Reaction score
Hey guys.Looking to see what is the going rate around some of you guys for a cap job.I just got a price on a retube and bias(I am supplying the tubes)along with replacing the filter caps and bias filters on my JCM800 2203 and the price he gave me was $400.Sounded high to me just looking for some opinions.

Eternal Scar

Reaction score
Thanks guys.This guy is not my tech just one of the shops in my area and someone who will never see any of my buisness with crazy prices like that!

Redstone

Reaction score
That does sound a bit high. I had my tech do a lot of work to my 2204 not long ago. It only cost me €140/$190. I had already paid for the tubes myself. Here is a list of what he did.
Replaced and biased the tubes
Replaced the filter caps with new F&T caps
Fixed the buzz coming from the Presence pot
Cleaned all the pots
Fixed a grounding issue
Cleaned the back side of the board
Replaced 2 caps and 1 resistor on the board
Changed one of the fuses to one with the proper value

All that and it didn't even come to $200. I'd say look for another tech. Theres got to be a good one somewhere nearby to you.

Eternal Scar

Reaction score
Found an old school vintage amp tech close to me that it is going to tomorrow.Cap job change out all tubes and bias and make sure everything else is up to par $125.00.Best part is he has over 40 years experience and his forte is vintage amps.

Lyv2Ryd

Reaction score
Andy Fuchs recently did my 2203. Filter caps, tone stack mod and 2 preamp tubes-$320

CaptainZero

Reaction score
You should have told him, 'I said cap job, not blow job'. :naughty:

(I wouldn't pay that much for that either, but...)

Glad to hear you found a good one.

Eternal Scar

Reaction score
Got my JCM800 back today.Cap job retube and bias.My tech did a great job it sounded great before but now it sounds Incredible!!!A big thanks to Marty for all his advice on what tubes to go with also!!!