Celestion Alnico Blue or Gold any good with Marshalls?

• Thread starter Matthews Guitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I'm looking to add another cabinet with a "different" speaker choice in it, for the sake of variety.

How do the new production Celestion alnico Golds and Blues work with the classic JMP Superlead/Plexi type amps?

I've got a 1x12, slightly oversized, that I want to put to good use.

Max Gahne

Reaction score
I have a 12" Celestion Gold I use with a DSL 20. I love it. Mine's in a good sized 1X12 with a closed back. I don't know what subjective terms to give to describe the sound. I don't like V30s and I like Greenbacks. That's my tastes. I love the Gold.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I have a gold in my SV combo. It's so much better. Have alnico in my DSL - also much better. Suddenly your amp goes all boutique....

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Don't worry about the attenuation issue. I'll handle that. I just want inputs on the tonal character, if it's good with a classic Marshall or not.

My 2203 has a master volume control, of course. When playing it I probably use under 10 watts most of the time.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Go Gold and don't look back.
However it is just a slightly darker sound than the Blue at lower volume playing, but makes no difference when you ramp it up a bit.
Other than those two there's also the Ruby, the Cream and the new 100 30 watt.............what an array of tonal goodness.

aberry9475

Reaction score
The alnico is definitely a different flavor than the ceramic. Whether or not you enjoy it is up to your ears. I had a 2x12 with golds. It was just okay. I swapped 1 out for a g12h heritage and have since enjoyed that quite a lot. I'm not a every-speaker-in-the-cab-must-be-the-same kind of guys though, I like to experiment and mix things up..

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to add another cabinet with a "different" speaker choice in it, for the sake of variety.

How do the new production Celestion alnico Golds and Blues work with the classic JMP Superlead/Plexi type amps?

I've got a 1x12, slightly oversized, that I want to put to good use.
I run my SC into a 212 of one gold and the other blue. Sounds fucking great.

A Marshall sitting on a Fender Bassbreaker 212 cab with Alnicos. Works for me.

Don’t for get about the Cream 90’s. I’ve got one in my 5150 Iconic combo. Really good too.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I've already got Creambacks (65) and I'm familiar with the creamback 75s as well. Don't know about a creamback 90, though.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've already got Creambacks (65) and I'm familiar with the creamback 75s as well. Don't know about a creamback 90, though.
Its different. I don't like the Creamback 65 sits back too much and the 75's a bit raspy.

The 90 is not referred to as a Creamback. Just Cream.lol

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I've been enjoying the 75w Creambacks with my superlead lately. Punchy without being dark. I'd like to try a 4x12 loaded with Golds too tho... 🤔

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I run my SC into a 212 of one gold and the other blue. Sounds fucking great.

A Marshall sitting on a Fender Bassbreaker 212 cab with Alnicos. Works for me.

Don’t for get about the Cream 90’s. I’ve got one in my 5150 Iconic combo. Really good too.
Those Creams are pricey aren't they? I do like the IRs I have of them

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool this thread came up. I have a 212 cab with a WGS Veteran 30 and a 70th Anniversary H30 paired. In thinking about changing out the Vet 30 for something else I was looking at the Celestion website and saw where some recommend an Alnico Blue or Gold to pair with with the Anni. So I'm thinking about it, a couple of posts here make me feel better about trying one. These speakers have never been on my radar before.

C-Grin

Reaction score
Cool this thread came up. I have a 212 cab with a WGS Veteran 30 and a 70th Anniversary H30 paired. In thinking about changing out the Vet 30 for something else I was looking at the Celestion website and saw where some recommend an Alnico Blue or Gold to pair with with the Anni. So I'm thinking about it, a couple of posts here make me feel better about trying one. These speakers have never been on my radar before.
I’ve got a Blue and a 70th Ann in a 2x12 and it sounds spectacular, but it really wants to be loud. :dude:

Latest posts