celestion g10 speakers for class 5

• Thread starter Human Steve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Human Steve

Reaction score
Questions!
I'm trying to brighten up my class 5 a bit. I'm considering the alnico gold, g10 vintage, and g10 greenback. How are these in comparison to the stock class 5 speaker? Will the Gold even fit in the cab? haha! Don't wanna buy em without trying them all, but I don't really have a choice do I.
Thoughts? Which one's brightest and most kick ass

iron broadsword

Reaction score
I actually just threw a G10 vintage into my class 5 a few weeks ago. It essentially sounds a little different in the mids and has a more wide sound so more lows and highs in a 12" kinda way, with no speaker breakup (good or bad depends on taste..). I have a quad of V30's to compare it to and it seems pretty close but no icepick. I read somewhere that all the G10's including the stock G10F-15 use the same cone, so they will all sound fairly similar. Not sure how much truth there is to that though.

If you want more highs, I'd recommend skipping the speaker change and putting a bright cap in like the plexi's of olde. Check out Lyle Caldwell's thread over at the MLP forums for that one (You will also need to rotate the transformer if you do this, or it'll pick up noise). I put it in and it's nice for cleans but wasn't really something I'm crazy about, but it is pretty dang dramatic. At the end of the day, I found the stock class 5 to be perfect once the speaker broke in. And any G10 will take a long time to break in, just like the stock speaker did. The more I break in the G10 vintage the more I am loving it, but having heard the difference I probably wouldn't have bothered to spend the money on the speaker swap.

Also apparently the G10 Greenback does not fit into the cab without some modifications. The G10F-15 is modeled after a greenback anyways except with better bass, as per celestion.

Human Steve

Reaction score
If it makes any difference, I have the head and 1x10 cab, NOT the combo. Will this make much difference as to what speaker will fit in there? I like the bright cap idea, but I'd like to avoid it if at all possible. Plus, speakers are fun :)

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Oh, yeah I think you're fine with the cab. The amp chassis got in the way of the greenback in the combo. You could probably get any 10" in there.

Squidhunter

Reaction score
G10 Greenback does fit in the class 5, will not make the amp brighter though.
Sounds better than stock speaker but still dark. You need to check out the Lyle mods!

Squidhunter

Reaction score
Yeah I use to have 2 class 5 combos. The Lyle mods are great especially changing the input impedance resistor to 1M, means ur single coil guitars will sound a lot better. I did do all of the mods including installing a choke and both transformers as well as changing out the speaker to the G10 greenback (I didnt install any switches though) Yeah I would def recommend the mods, sounds more crisp, clear and articulate. I could never bond with the tone when dimed, the distortion was just always too messy and cheap sounding, way too thick and fuzzy. Still after so much stuffing around with the class 5 I realised it was a toy compared to a real plexi. After playing through my YJM100 and going back to the class 5 I just couldnt appreciate it. I got rid of them both!

Reaction score
Questions!
I'm trying to brighten up my class 5 a bit. I'm considering the alnico gold, g10 vintage, and g10 greenback. How are these in comparison to the stock class 5 speaker? Will the Gold even fit in the cab? haha! Don't wanna buy em without trying them all, but I don't really have a choice do I.
Thoughts? Which one's brightest and most kick ass

Track down a Celestion G10L-35 and give that a go. I think you'll dig it. Also, listen to some sound clips of the Eminence 10" offerings. You might be pleasantly surprised by something that will mate up well.

vasko

Reaction score
Hello guys and girls,
today i got my C5 from my tech who did modification based on Lyle`s mod but with plenty of improvements. Now, amp sings like bird with plenty of high notes, petty wider and less scooped. In one word, PERFECT. Just to mention that all of those improvements are made using OLD stock speaker. I am hardly wait to buy G10 Greenback to see what is a difference. But key thing is that modification is a MUST.

Latest posts