• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Celestion Modern Lead 70....

• Thread starter Salsg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Salsg

Reaction score
What are these like? I am not familiar with them, and search results bring up very little (but a lot on Classic leads)

How do they compare to G12T-75? I picked up a 1960A cab with the 75s, and I am not a fan of those, though these are pretty old (early 90's) and sound better than the newer ones I've heard

Locally someone has a pair selling for $80

Bieling3

Reaction score
G12M-70s? Everyone hates em. I actually think they're decent, in a closed back cab at least. Guess it depends on the rig.

Salsg

Reaction score
Is that what they are? the G12M-70s? I had a cab with those a while back and they weren't that bad, I preferred them to the 75s.

The Modern Lead 70 speakers I am looking at have a label with only Modern Lead 70.

2 12" Celestion speakers for sale!

Bieling3

Reaction score
A little googleing reveals that the Classic Lead 70 is a heavy (H designation) magnet of 50 oz. vs the G12M-70 with a medium (M designation) magnet at 35 oz resulting in more clarity with the heavy magnet. I'd snatch em.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the majority of opinions is that they are treble spikey and harsh. I have some of the old G12M-70'sas well asa few sets of the Modern Leads as well. I always figured they were the same speaker.

I ran a pair of the Modern Leads in my older early 80's 1936 2X12. This is the version of the cab that has the top handle and is a bit thinner than the later standard 1936 cab. I was very impressed with the Modern Leads in that old cab. For some reason, that cab tames a bit of the top end. I had a V30/G12H30 Anniversary mix in that cab before that and was not digging those speakers in there. Can't explain why the Modern Leads were better tonally in that swap. BUT, the V30/G12H30 Annv. were new speakers at that time and not broken in. To be fair, I have the V30/G12H30 Annv mix in another cab as well, an Avatar 2X12 partial open back, and that is one sweet cab. Go figure that one out.

:hmm:

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I liked the Modern Lead G12M70's when I mixed them with the G12T75's. I can't speak to using them alone. A very nuetral speaker to me that would be very good for modeling amps or even bass. I think these get a bad rep on the net, but I have definitely heard worse!

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
What are these like? I am not familiar with them, and search results bring up very little (but a lot on Classic leads)

How do they compare to G12T-75? I picked up a 1960A cab with the 75s, and I am not a fan of those, though these are pretty old (early 90's) and sound better than the newer ones I've heard

Locally someone has a pair selling for $80

Had to revive this old thread.

:D

Did you buy those Modern Lead 70's?

I just noticed that Bieling3 might have made a bit of a mistake on his info he posted in this thread. But I am hoping that he is correct actually. He said he googled these and they supposedly have the big 50 oz magnet. And he called them "Classic Lead 70" which he is probably confusing for the CL80 Classic Lead 80 and is the bigger 50 oz magnet.

Anyway, I was comparing one of these Modern Lead 70's earlier this evening and did find that I liked it somewhat with an amp that has somewhat of a darker tone. It brought out some nice snarl in the upper mids in this amp and I usually run the Mid setting on 7 to 8. But these speakers are bright for sure, no doubt about it.

Salsg

Reaction score
No I didn't get them after all. Since then I've moved to Celestion Golds in my 4x12.

I have a 2x12 now, with one G12k-85 I just got in trade, and a Jensen JCH 12/70. I like the Jensen for clean tones, but not as much for dirt,

How would a ML70 (G12M-70) mix with the K85?

Guitar-Sam

Reaction score
I had a Laney 4x12 w/ G12m-70s I remember hating it compared to the 1960AX I had at time.Made my old SLX head sound clunky and bright.sold that cab

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
Ah I love when people come to discover they actually love/like/favor the Modern Leads. When I heard people talking all this nonsense about it I was like it why is it so hated ? So I got a set for my JCM900 and I was super surprised, I really love em. In my opinion they really smooth out a lot of the low end with high gain and the treble is really tamed and its got some nice mids to it. I did what any Modern Lead lover would do, I paired em with its bigger brother the Classic Lead in a 412 cab and I had thunderous lows, smooth mids and excellent treble detail. I couldn't be much happy with the Modern Leads. If you see some giblethead selling em for dirt cheap, BUY EM !

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
No I didn't get them after all. Since then I've moved to Celestion Golds in my 4x12.

I have a 2x12 now, with one G12k-85 I just got in trade, and a Jensen JCH 12/70. I like the Jensen for clean tones, but not as much for dirt,

How would a ML70 (G12M-70) mix with the K85?

The 85s are very punchy with some wicked lows while the 70s clean up well so you'd get a pretty nice balance. I'd say the Classic Lead or the V12-80 are excellent matches for the Modern Lead. Or if you can find an Eminence Lady Luck those pair up VERY well together. Turned my muddy Carvin Legacy into a nice tone machine.