Celestion Super 65s in an MG Combo Demo

recordatron

Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm new here but I've recently done a video on how the Celestion Super 65 speaker sounds in an MG102CFX 2x12 combo. I was looking all over for info on these recently when I was thinking about buying them and there's not much out there so I thought I'd do a video myself and include some decent sound samples. They're dirt cheap at the moment, at least here in the UK and some US outlets so I thought I'd put something together for anyone who might be in the same boat as me.

Anyway I thought it might help a few folks on here.

Hope you all enjoy and get something out of it.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm new here but I've recently done a video on how the Celestion Super 65 speaker sounds in an MG102CFX 2x12 combo. I was looking all over for info on these recently when I was thinking about buying them and there's not much out there so I thought I'd do a video myself and include some decent sound samples. They're dirt cheap at the moment, at least here in the UK and some US outlets so I thought I'd put something together for anyone who might be in the same boat as me.

Anyway I thought it might help a few folks on here.

Hope you all enjoy and get something out of it.

Good tones! I always found the MG to be a bit scooped so when I had mine I'd dial in the clean channel as my dirty channel and dial in my dirty channel as my clean channel, sounded much more open and tube sounding to my ears. :yesway:

recordatron

Reaction score
Good tones! I always found the MG to be a bit scooped so when I had mine I'd dial in the clean channel as my dirty channel and dial in my dirty channel as my clean channel, sounded much more open and tube sounding to my ears. :yesway:

Thanks very much! Yeah I feel like the clean channel is absolutely where it's at for the best tones from these amps. It seems to have a similar low end response that makes tube amps feel good. I'm planning to do more videos featuring the MG because I feel like it's a bit of a sleeper hit under the right circumstances. Kinda the same for a lot of solid state amps in my experience.

That Kraken pedal is a bit of a secret sauce miracle worker though when it comes to tone. It's not cheap but it pretty much turns any amp with a decent clean channel into a JVM.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks very much! Yeah I feel like the clean channel is absolutely where it's at for the best tones from these amps. It seems to have a similar low end response that makes tube amps feel good. I'm planning to do more videos featuring the MG because I feel like it's a bit of a sleeper hit under the right circumstances. Kinda the same for a lot of solid state amps in my experience.

That Kraken pedal is a bit of a secret sauce miracle worker though when it comes to tone. It's not cheap but it pretty much turns any amp with a decent clean channel into a JVM.
Push in that crunch button on the clean channel and dial in some dirt, then on OD1 dial all the gain out to an edge of breakup, try this and tell me what you think! Hey and welcome to the forum! :yesway:

Adieu

Reaction score
They're dirt cheap because they are a budget model.

See those tiny magnets?

recordatron

Reaction score
They're dirt cheap because they are a budget model.

See those tiny magnets?

I addressed the magnet thing a bit at the end. They're not lacking for bass or anything. They are clearly a budget speaker but they sound decent for a budget project and I like the way they sound over the stock speakers.

Adieu

Reaction score
IMHO unless you're a manufacturer and need to sell products new, there's no point.

Just use whichever big boy Celestion (or Eminence, Weber, etc.) 12's you can find used locally instead

recordatron

Reaction score
IMHO unless you're a manufacturer and need to sell products new, there's no point.

Just use whichever big boy Celestion (or Eminence, Weber, etc.) 12's you can find used locally instead

I feel like if you're not for marketing bs then just buy a speaker based on how it sounds to you rather than how far up the product stack it is. Hopefully this video can help a few people decide whether it's the right speaker for them.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Not sure if I would go as low as the Super 65 on the Celestion scale myself, but I am a fan of the budget 'Hot' 100.
35oz magnet vs 20oz.
I have my VS65R driving two of them in parallel for an 8 ohm load.

The Super 65 isn't to be found on the Celestion website BTW.
Is it discontinued?

There is some love for the Super 65 on the MF:
https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/celestion-super-65.112870/

And welcome to the Marshall Forum @recordatron :welcome:

recordatron

Reaction score
Not sure if I would go as low as the Super 65 on the Celestion scale myself, but I am a fan of the budget 'Hot' 100.
35oz magnet vs 20oz.
I have my VS65R driving two of them in parallel for an 8 ohm load.

The Super 65 isn't to be found on the Celestion website BTW.
Is it discontinued?

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/celestion-super-65.112870/

Yeah I mean the main reason I went with this type of speaker was because I didn't want to be throwing a whole load of money at an MG combo and having recently watched an in depth video with one of the guys from Jensen it was pretty apparent that the magnet size is not the only piece in the puzzle that makes a decent speaker.

Honestly I'm not trying to shill for Celestion or anything here, I just know that it was a pain for me trying to look into this speaker when I was thinking about buying it and not being able to find any really solid videos on it so I thought I'd just try and help out anyone else who might be in the same spot.

I was also pleasantly surprised by them so thought it was worth a video and they are legitimately not half bad for this use case in my opinion as the tones in the video will show if you're into them. I've played through plenty of higher end speakers like V30s and I don't think they sound worse per say, just different. It's definitely given me pause when it comes to worrying about magnet size too much as well.

Yeah I think it's probably discontinued but they are going cheap brand new at the moment while they're available.