Checking out a couple inexpensive 1x12 cabinets, Mojotone & Seismic

• Thread starter guitar1580
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitar1580

Reaction score
So I have a Marshall MX112R cabinet which is basic MDF. I've been experimenting with some different Celestions for some small amps for at home use. I'm looking to get another cab which is made of plywood or solid wood for further experimentation.

I've ran onto the Seismic, and the Mojotone which are basic 1/2" plywood, and in the $150 to $200 range. I don't expect them to hold up as good as a $500 cab, but I'm not going to be hauling it in and out, so I'm wanting to stay inexpensive.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used these 2 brands and knows any pros / cons of either or both. I was looking at the Seismic cube shaped cab, which is a little larger than the Marshall, and partially open backed, so it seems like a good contrast to the Marshall, to see what kind of results I can get out of these different Celestions.

However, reading some reviews, I see a few mentions of the Seismic having issues with the threaded inserts, and folks having to install their own mounting hardware. The website is a little unclear, and talks about mounting from the front. I'm looking to mount from the back, with the built in seal up against the baffle. I guess it's not the end of the world if I have to get some threaded inserts or T bolts, but I think I shouldn't really have to do that for a new cabinet. Everything mounted right up in the Marshall with no issues.

So here I am, asking the experts in the field. Please let me know if you have any experience with the Seismic and / or Mojotone, or even a suggestion for another brand of 1 x 12 cabinet in the same price range. Thanks.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Mojotone cabs are damn near bombproof and I would definitely buy another one if I had any really reason to. Never heard or read any smack about any of their products and they seem like good dudes, and I'd rather give my money to people who are likeable and seem to give a shit about what they're doing. Don't know anything about Seismic but I have read good things about them on other forums.

Reaction score
I had ordered the Seismic and sent it back the hardware you a spoke of was horrible and yes it does mount from the front. My suggestion, build your own cabinet. I got the wood, the hardware, the input jack, the grill cloth and the carpet for 45 bucks and I can build it to match the dimensions of my Code 50 amp. Just an idea, good luck with your project.

guitar1580

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Yes, the more I check them out, the more I like the Mojotone. They have a "PM" series that they sell on ebay for a little less than the ones on the website, but it is currently out of stock for a few weeks. It looks to have a more basic handle, and minus the piping around the baffle. I'm going to call and see if there are any other differences. If it's just visual differences, and not built out of thinner wood or constructed cheaply, I may look into that one.

South Park

Reaction score
The Soldano 100 one of the best amps around had matching cap . Look up the specs and clone it

ampeq

Reaction score
So I have a Marshall MX112R cabinet which is basic MDF. I've been experimenting with some different Celestions for some small amps for at home use. I'm looking to get another cab which is made of plywood or solid wood for further experimentation.

I've ran onto the Seismic, and the Mojotone which are basic 1/2" plywood, and in the $150 to $200 range. I don't expect them to hold up as good as a $500 cab, but I'm not going to be hauling it in and out, so I'm wanting to stay inexpensive.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used these 2 brands and knows any pros / cons of either or both. I was looking at the Seismic cube shaped cab, which is a little larger than the Marshall, and partially open backed, so it seems like a good contrast to the Marshall, to see what kind of results I can get out of these different Celestions.

However, reading some reviews, I see a few mentions of the Seismic having issues with the threaded inserts, and folks having to install their own mounting hardware. The website is a little unclear, and talks about mounting from the front. I'm looking to mount from the back, with the built in seal up against the baffle. I guess it's not the end of the world if I have to get some threaded inserts or T bolts, but I think I shouldn't really have to do that for a new cabinet. Everything mounted right up in the Marshall with no issues.

So here I am, asking the experts in the field. Please let me know if you have any experience with the Seismic and / or Mojotone, or even a suggestion for another brand of 1 x 12 cabinet in the same price range. Thanks.
This is a great 1-12" cab and is only $150. The plug in sockets suck, plastic threads, so I put a single Switchcraft socket in. This can be run open or closed and is big enough to sound great. I also have their 2-12" cab just like it, same thing with the sockets and I put in side handles in mine. $200 They are all black so they match everything.
https://www.eminence.com/guitar-bass/ext-cab/
The Mesa is sitting on the 1-12" cab, the other heads are on the 2-12" cab.

EDIT: These are made from 5/8" baltic birch plywood and should last a long time.

Attachments

• SAM_1341.JPG
    SAM_1341.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 7
  • SAM_1342.JPG
    SAM_1342.JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 7
  • SAM_1343.JPG
    SAM_1343.JPG
    418.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

guitar1580

Reaction score
I just ran onto a guy a couple of hours from here who wants to sell me a Hughes & Kettner 2x12 cab, like new, for $350. Do any of you guys have any experience with it? I'm sure it sounds good, but I'm really tight on space and was really wanting to get an empty 1x12 cab for a couple hundred ... I'm considering it though.

https://tinyurl.com/ybzl44zh