Class 5 through a 4x12 cab or go bigger?

• Thread starter stepcg6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stepcg6

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm facing a bit of a dilemma right now.

I recently purchased a Marshall Class 5 combo and it sounds absolutely beautiful. All of the talk about the tone from that amp was right on the money. The only problem is this: It's not cutting it in the live setting.

I thought if I mic'd the amp and cranked it I would be able to do just fine. As it turns out, our drummer is LOUD. The kid breaks multiple sticks a practice. I just can't keep up with the class 5. Even if it's mic'd I can't hear the sound back and I just can't cut through. I am the lead singer and guitarist and we play classic rock like AC/DC sound, but I'm also the only guitarist holding up that entire part of the sound. We've got nothing if you can't hear the guitar well.

My question is this: Should I invest in a 4x12 cabinet and run the class 5 that way to try to get a louder live sound or sacrifice the little guy for something bigger? Has anyone done this successfully?

I've also been reading awesome things about a JCM2000 DSL50 with a 4x12 cab that I'm thinking may fit the bill a bit better. I may sell the class 5 and invest in that as a gigging rig.

Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

brp

Reaction score
If your drummer is so loud that the C5 combo isn't cutting it, a cab isn't going to solve that. It may help minimally somewhat but not likely to permanently resolve the issue.
You need a bigger/higher wattage amp.

chuckelator

Reaction score
Shit you must be playing way differently than I...I'm worried my 20 watt amp isn't gonna cut it in my band (normally a 50w for me) ! You need more power dude.

woodddj

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to go with a jmd:1 50watt head and 4x12. This is the setup that I'm using, and I love it! There are multiple voicings that would suit your needs just perfect.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you're going to need something a little more powerful for gigging, step ... what kind of a budget are you working with?

TubeStack

Reaction score
You need WAY more wattage. I'd never even consider gigging with a C5 with my drummer (and bassist, for that matter), 4x12 or not. I need 50W or more. I've even tried 30-40W, nope, didn't cut it.

I'm also not a fan of the C5 through a 4x12; speakers feel limp and hollow with so little power.

I love cranking my C5 combo at home, though.

JayCM800

Reaction score
For live gigs nothing beats a Marshall stack! :dude:

I do love my Class 5 combo, i play it daily at home, can't wait to record something with it!

loveboat

Reaction score
A half stack is the way to go for gigging. Looks awesome, feels awesome, sounds awesome.

You can get some really nice deals on used gear. If you want a huge range of tones the JMD (as mentioned is great). But I'm guessing you really don't need a lot of bells and whistles since you have the class 5 today.

There are quite a lot of heads to choose from, just need to find what sound you are after.

JimiRules

Reaction score
I gigged my C5 this past Friday. Ran it through a 1960a, and had no trouble hearing myself. It was mic'd of course and our drummer isn't John Bonham reincarnated. I've been using the same rig in our practices over the past few months and haven't had any problems hearing myself. I had a back up head with me just in case there was an issue, but I liked the results.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm facing a bit of a dilemma right now.

I recently purchased a Marshall Class 5 combo and it sounds absolutely beautiful. All of the talk about the tone from that amp was right on the money. The only problem is this: It's not cutting it in the live setting.

I thought if I mic'd the amp and cranked it I would be able to do just fine. As it turns out, our drummer is LOUD. The kid breaks multiple sticks a practice. I just can't keep up with the class 5. Even if it's mic'd I can't hear the sound back and I just can't cut through. I am the lead singer and guitarist and we play classic rock like AC/DC sound, but I'm also the only guitarist holding up that entire part of the sound. We've got nothing if you can't hear the guitar well.

My question is this: Should I invest in a 4x12 cabinet and run the class 5 that way to try to get a louder live sound or sacrifice the little guy for something bigger? Has anyone done this successfully?

I've also been reading awesome things about a JCM2000 DSL50 with a 4x12 cab that I'm thinking may fit the bill a bit better. I may sell the class 5 and invest in that as a gigging rig.

Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

What size is your rehearsal studio? If it is an extremely small space the drums will overwhelm everything. Even if you get a half stack and you guys don't address the acoustics issues of the room the overall sound of the band will be muddy and overly saturated... at least in my experience.

If you can't isolate the room acoustically, and the room is very small, try bringing the speakers up to at least waist level. You will need at least a 2x12 though.

Small spaces with loud drummers can be challenging. A drums screen can be really helpful too.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Get at least 50 watts and then they will be telling you to turn down, but you'll have the headroom you need.

GuitarBuilder

Reaction score
If you like the Class 5 sound and want to keep it, you may want to invest in a load box with direct out. You can send the amp signal to the PA and use a powered stage monitor to hear yourself better.

A simpler solution would be to sell the Class 5 and get a 50-100W amp.

divebombercorona

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a while but decided to sign up since i got a class5 that i am blown away by. I've had different marshalls over the years, jcm800, 900 but never had a plexi. If this class5 is similar to a plexi i want one lol (im sure the plexi is better lol). My question would be if i love the sound of the class5 which marshall would be similar in a higher wattage (20-50 watts?) The 90's JTM's? Looking for lower cost also.....

Thanks

Latest posts