Classic Ac/dc Tone From A Dsl-50?

• Thread starter What?
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What?

Reaction score
Hey all. First post here.

Is it possible to get that classic AC/DC tone from a DSL-50? I'm talking about the sounds on the High Voltage album.

More specifically, Malcolm's sound on It's a Long Way to the Top. It sounds almost clean, but has dirt in the upper frequencies, is punchy, and cutting. And it has some sort of resonance to it that I can't describe. It's a beautiful sound.

67mike

Reaction score
Hell ya. Turn the knobs till you get it. Might even try clean on green with the gain up and a boost.

Jr Deluxe

Reaction score
No, sorry. That sound is really only found in those mid 70s MV JMPs. I had a 78 combo made into a head that sounded like that. No other Marshall I've ever had got that sound. Your amp will get close enough to play the song but to nail that tone, no.

Yamariv

Reaction score
If you're looking for something close go to the Green channel and bump up the gain. It won't be exact but close..

Rickrevs

Reaction score
you would probably need one of these aswell :)

Attachments

• Gretsch HS Filtertron Bridge Pickup.jpg
    Gretsch HS Filtertron Bridge Pickup.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 4

67mike

Reaction score
No, sorry. That sound is really only found in those mid 70s MV JMPs. I had a 78 combo made into a head that sounded like that. No other Marshall I've ever had got that sound. Your amp will get close enough to play the song but to nail that tone, no.

I think you can get close enough to pull it off with the modern Marshall. Not 100% exact maybe, but darn close.

Rick Lee

Reaction score
You can do it, but only on green. Old school AC/DC is pretty clean, actually. It started getting dirtier with BIB.

JCarno

Reaction score
Yes, like everyone(besides Dan) said, Green Crunch. Dial tone knobs till you here it.
Hint: 80s G1265s play a big part.
Good Luck!! :cheers:

What?

Reaction score
I'm taking in what everyone has said so far. Thanks for the input.

With the gain at 2 on the green channel it is still too much. This amp does mid to high gain sounds pretty well, but when transitioning toward low preamp gain, it gets weak and flat to my ears. I have also tried it with the crunch switch disengaged. This is all with the volume at up to 6 with various eq settings.

I will keep tweaking and see what I can come up with, but I'm thinking that sound isn't going to come out of this amp. It does a range of other sounds well enough though.

Buzzard

Reaction score
What speakers are you using? I'd look at that first. What guitar/pickups, your only giving us part of the equation. Don't make me go down the dreyn 77 lol !

blue

Reaction score
I've gone for this sort of sound on an old Marshall DSL 201, which wouldn't be that different to the newer ones. Clean channel with the master up high and just a bit of boost from a pedal to raunch it up. lowish powered pickups for the extra chime and clearer bottom end too. It's loud as hell, but that's the way it's done :)

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
DSL green sounds nothing like a JMP ... yall musta listened to different AD/DC albums than i did.

And before you tell me Gary Moore played DSL green his amps were modified by Marshall @ the Factory.

THIS IS WHAT WERE TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE ...

Last edited:

Exojam

Reaction score
I'm taking in what everyone has said so far. Thanks for the input.

With the gain at 2 on the green channel it is still too much. This amp does mid to high gain sounds pretty well, but when transitioning toward low preamp gain, it gets weak and flat to my ears. I have also tried it with the crunch switch disengaged. This is all with the volume at up to 6 with various eq settings.

I will keep tweaking and see what I can come up with, but I'm thinking that sound isn't going to come out of this amp. It does a range of other sounds well enough though.

Deleted as information I was referring to is in the post above. Cannot delete video, sorry.

Last edited:

blue

Reaction score
I used to go for this sort of sound on a DSL 201 I had. Clean channel with master up high, maybe a boost pedal to add a bit of raunch, and lowish output pickups for chime and a rounder bottom end. High output pickups don't sound right. It was loud as hell! But that's what you have to do for that kind of sound :)

67mike

Reaction score
Red channel gain & volume @ "6" with a dirt pedal.

Hmmm, not sure you are serious.....[insert groundhog picture here]

For me it would be GREEN CHANNEL....but wtf do I know??

Latest posts