Code 25 - Anyone As Disappointed As Me?

• Thread starter LeftyLuke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
2) The freeze-on-save will only be a problem if you intend to edit and save presets mid-way through a live song
3) Some people have found that a higher quality USB lead fixed their USB recording issues

that is nothing @ all like anything I have read.
1) the amp SHOULD released in early 2017 (This will mean that we should be able to deliver to stores early 2017.-Marshall amps)
https://marshallamps.com/live-for-music/news/code100-update/

& with shipping,preorders,etc. it looks like MAYBE the 3rd Quarter of 2017 before people actually get their hands on them.
2) the freeze is happening whenever programming patches from the panel whether "live" or @ home.
3) the quality of a USB cable has nothing to do with the mismatch of standard sample rates or bit depths.

Frank S

Reaction score
OK, hoping someone here can tell me yes or no.

Ive been looking at options for my sons first guitar amp for christmas. Currently he plays his electric unplugged, or on a rare occasion I let him plug into the JCM900.

I was looking at the Fender Mustang, but now I considering the Code 25. anyone played both, any differences in them, or should I just buy me, I mean him, a Blues Jr?

I agree with shooto:

I own a Mustang III v2 and a Mustang IV and I had the Code 50 for a few days and I preferred the Mustang.

I found both the amp models and an effects much better in the Mustang...the Mustang sounds also bigger.

But ideally you try them both out in the store yourself.

If you get a Mustang, I would get a least a Mustang III, because dialing in a good tone in Mustang I and Mustang II is not easy through the amp controls…for all the in-depth editing (like Tube Sag) you need to hook it up via USB to a computer. (I also think this is the reason why some people say that they could not dial in any good tones in the Mustang I and II.)

I also agree with chiliphil1 : A modelling amp gives your son a lot of options to find his sound (pedals, effects), and it is more robust.

If you have extra cash and want to get a real tube amp the Blues Jr beats booth amps, and if your son likes it more “marshally” a DSL5C could also be an option.

Reaction score
Bought a code 50(traded mustang 3v2). Played code for 1 hr, took it back. Cab vibration at stage volume, lack of fx loop, spkr out(hdph jack) sounded like ass thru headphones and direct to PA, turn off cab sim and you will hear just how crappy the speaker is, garbage.
Got refund, bought a Vox AV30...excellent tone on clean, crunch...high gain was awful. Took it back two days later, got the code 50 back.two weeks later, heres my observations...
1- you have got to tweak this thing a lot. Way to much bass. Dial back presence/res. I would never run my tube amp at 2 or 3 on bass knob but, code cab/spkr cant hang. Still occasionally buzzes on low E at 7th fret.
2- its made to use cab sim. Sad,I still want to try an eminence legend or gov. Why make a 1x12 sound like a 4x12?...its just varied eq tricks folks. But , it can sound useable, most people in the bar dont care lol.
3- Marshall should have put more hardware on this, fx lp, skr out...wtf, cant cost that much. At 329$ with a celestion, mustang was better value...HOWEVER, tone on the code can be stellar after tweaks. Its a great amp to get massive tone at bedroom volume. Fyi, no one should expect great recordings using the usb, mic it folks,mic it! And that said, mustang is a modeler with a proper speaker so, swapping should work better.
4- Agreed, its unbelieveably loud but, mustang 3 is too. Code does low volume better. Agreed, keep the volume lower and use the master. When I raised the volume is when the cab vibrates.
Overall, for 200$ , its a gain beast. The Jube and Plexi alone are worth price of admission. Better than many oh so many dist pedals I have tried. I also have great succes running my looper and a blackstar(lol) LT dual pedal in front. This code takes dist pedals like a champ! Even on OD amp models. This gives me 3 channels,clean, crunch, dist on one preset making it very useable and oddly, the blackstar lt sound epic thru this amp. So, I keep it for now. Just my 2¢¡

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Bought a code 50(traded mustang 3v2). Played code for 1 hr, took it back. Cab vibration at stage volume, lack of fx loop, spkr out(hdph jack) sounded like ass thru headphones and direct to PA, turn off cab sim and you will hear just how crappy the speaker is, garbage.
Got refund, bought a Vox AV30...excellent tone on clean, crunch...high gain was awful. Took it back two days later, got the code 50 back.two weeks later, heres my observations...
1- you have got to tweak this thing a lot. Way to much bass. Dial back presence/res. I would never run my tube amp at 2 or 3 on bass knob but, code cab/spkr cant hang. Still occasionally buzzes on low E at 7th fret.
2- its made to use cab sim. Sad,I still want to try an eminence legend or gov. Why make a 1x12 sound like a 4x12?...its just varied eq tricks folks. But , it can sound useable, most people in the bar dont care lol.
3- Marshall should have put more hardware on this, fx lp, skr out...wtf, cant cost that much. At 329$ with a celestion, mustang was better value...HOWEVER, tone on the code can be stellar after tweaks. Its a great amp to get massive tone at bedroom volume. Fyi, no one should expect great recordings using the usb, mic it folks,mic it! And that said, mustang is a modeler with a proper speaker so, swapping should work better.
4- Agreed, its unbelieveably loud but, mustang 3 is too. Code does low volume better. Agreed, keep the volume lower and use the master. When I raised the volume is when the cab vibrates.
Overall, for 200$ , its a gain beast. The Jube and Plexi alone are worth price of admission. Better than many oh so many dist pedals I have tried. I also have great succes running my looper and a blackstar(lol) LT dual pedal in front. This code takes dist pedals like a champ! Even on OD amp models. This gives me 3 channels,clean, crunch, dist on one preset making it very useable and oddly, the blackstar lt sound epic thru this amp. So, I keep it for now. Just my 2¢¡

I agree. So far it sounds like shit through headphones. Every single modeler I've ever played does.

But honestly, who would expect an FX loop in a $250 modeling amp? You're missing the point. All the effects are on board. Same with speaker out. A budget priced modeling combo amp is a poor choice if you want to use your pedal board and speaker cabs. The changes you propose and this sucker (Code 50) is no longer $250. Expecatations versus reality. Your concept seems to be buy a modeling amp, use you pedal board both in front and in a fx loop, and swap out the speaker. Why not just get a DSL15C or DSL 40C?

What does the amp have to do with string buzz on your guitar?

I've had my CODE 50 for less than 24 hours. I've not experienced any glitches yet. I have 2 hours on it. It's clearly, to me at least, a Practise tool more than anything else. I think it's a cool concept and I did dial in a really good Silver Jub style tone. Obviously, it does not have the audio quality or feel of a tube amp but for noodling, late night Practise at whisper volume......not bad at all.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I can't tell you between these but I will say this. From when I was a younger player and even when my sister wanted to learn. Get him a modeling amp, a new player won't appreciate the tube tone of the Fender amp. I wanted something that would give me any style of music I was looking for and I was not interested in a bunch of pedals. I know for a newbie the "one trick pony" thing of many tube amps can be a turn off for sure. I think he'd be happier with the code or mustang. Which one is up to you... Now, I'll also toss in line6, I know they get flamed a lot but there are some good sounds to be had in their amps as well. Best thing is to head over to the local store and jam on some, you may just find that a spider 4 is what you need.

Well, that sucks to hear. I've been looking really hard at the amplifi75 for a nice "desktop" amp. I thought with the multi speaker design it might just be the ticket. I was honestly a fan of the tones in the POD x3, so maybe I would get on with it. They have that fire hawk amp now with HD models but at $1,000 plus large size it sort of defeats itself as a practical home amp.

Honestly I really want to try the "dream rig" set up they brag about. My H&K with an HD500X and a variax. Might not be great but it seems like it would be cool as hell to be able to not only select different amp models and/or effects but to also be able to change the guitar character and tuning by footswitch.. That would be the coolest thing ever if it actually works well.

That's sad to hear. I remember how fired up everyone was about it and Marshall seems to have dropped the ball. Maybe the CODE V2.

The Marshall modeling on the CODE 50 blows away Amplifi 100. Line 6 billed Amplifi as a way to also play your ITUNES library via Bluetooth. It did that but sound was nothing special. I can say after just a couple of hours of noodling that CODE is better than Amplifi, POD X3. Amplifi also looks like a plastic POS and Code looks better.

I bought the 50 yesterday because I'm sick of complaints of turning down the volume and want to jam whenever I want ( via headphones). It's not happening for me through headphones but I did get some nice low volume tones going. I really have no complaints other than the headphones. I need more time with it to really form an opinion but it passes the first big hurdle. As you know, expectations need to match reality of a $250 amp.

Antmax

Reaction score

Ive been looking at options for my sons first guitar amp for christmas. Currently he plays his electric unplugged, or on a rare occasion I let him plug into the JCM900.

I was looking at the Fender Mustang, but now I considering the Code 25. anyone played both, any differences in them, or should I just buy me, I mean him, a Blues Jr?

Which Fender Mustang?. People seem to like the larger ones. But I only tried the Mustang 1 20w and it seemed boxier than the MG15CFX I have in the garage. I'd definately pick a CODE 25 over a Mustang 1 v2 and probably a Mustang II which are also closed back. Mustang III and up are open.

I also think that the kind of music you like play might also effect your impression of the code. I like hard rock through NWOBHM and more traditional stuff too. The CODE seems like a really nice practice amp for those genres.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I've only tried the 50watter. I thought it was outstanding for the price and it sounded great through the speaker.

I guess the 12 inch driver is the key difference there.

I picked one up yesterday. Put it through paces today. It's fun effective little Practise amp. I got the 50. I take reviews like the one by the OP with a grain of salt. For example, the tone through head phones is nothing special at all. I've tried three sets now all good brands and it's all the same. In contrast, the tones through the speaker are good. The audio quality is not valve but especially the bluesbreaker, 800 and silver Jub tones are very good. For the price of a pedal you get some really useable features.

Who knows what the OP thinks is a good tone and what his experience is. The best thing to do on this budget entry level amps to to work them out yourself. I found many usable baseline tones and features.

I was playing a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

I bought it for the headphones feature but I don't like the tones at all. Nothing like what comes out of the speaker.

I was thinking of taking it back to Guitar Center but decided to keep it. I've not experienced any glitches.

Gibson71

Reaction score
I have the code 50 and it sounds horribly boxy. I'm not sending it back but I am going to take the back of it off tomorrow and cut 30% of the back panel off with a saw to see if that helps it sound less boxy.. I think this amp has potential but can't stand most of the sounds when playing with a drummer.. I will let you all know how it sounds after tomorrow.. Any thoughts?

Gibson71

Reaction score

30watt

Reaction score
I like variation in my diet. Which is why I will sometimes use my old Line6 Flextone w/floorboard, but usually I use my Artist 30 with a 5 pedal board. Sometimes I run a 5275 with the external pedal board.

Sometimes I play a Mustang. Or a Tele copy, or a PeaveyT60, or a PRS, or another PRS, or a Strat, or another Strat, or....

Well, you get the idea. We're GUITAR PLAYERS. There is no "right" sound, or guitar, or amp, or effect. There is only the journey to find ones that are less wrong.

If a Code does that for ya, go for it. If a 1973 Coronet amp with a 6" speaker plugged into a Kalamazoo fibreboard bodied guitar via an old telephone cable does it for you, have at that, too.

I played a Code. Not a patch (IMHO) in terms of live accessability on the older L6. Too fiddly. But some excellent sounds.

(ps no pun intended with "patch").

Reaction score
I agree. So far it sounds like shit through headphones. Every single modeler I've ever played does.

But honestly, who would expect an FX loop in a $250 modeling amp? You're missing the point. All the effects are on board. Same with speaker out. A budget priced modeling combo amp is a poor choice if you want to use your pedal board and speaker cabs. The changes you propose and this sucker (Code 50) is no longer $250. Expecatations versus reality. Your concept seems to be buy a modeling amp, use you pedal board both in front and in a fx loop, and swap out the speaker. Why not just get a DSL15C or DSL 40C?

What does the amp have to do with string buzz on your guitar?

I've had my CODE 50 for less than 24 hours. I've not experienced any glitches yet. I have 2 hours on it. It's clearly, to me at least, a Practise tool more than anything else. I think it's a cool concept and I did dial in a really good Silver Jub style tone. Obviously, it does not have the audio quality or feel of a tube amp but for noodling, late night Practise at whisper volume......not bad at all.
[/QUOTE]
I would use the fx loop purely for my looper pedal allowing me to change presets( mustang had this) and a better DI out to go straight to PA. Yes,it would raise price a tad but puts it in line with the competition , mustang 3 , hd500x, both of which I have owned but, code sounds better than both.

Reaction score
I like variation in my diet. Which is why I will sometimes use my old Line6 Flextone w/floorboard, but usually I use my Artist 30 with a 5 pedal board. Sometimes I run a 5275 with the external pedal board.

Sometimes I play a Mustang. Or a Tele copy, or a PeaveyT60, or a PRS, or another PRS, or a Strat, or another Strat, or....

Well, you get the idea. We're GUITAR PLAYERS. There is no "right" sound, or guitar, or amp, or effect. There is only the journey to find ones that are less wrong.

If a Code does that for ya, go for it. If a 1973 Coronet amp with a 6" speaker plugged into a Kalamazoo fibreboard bodied guitar via an old telephone cable does it for you, have at that, too.

I played a Code. Not a patch (IMHO) in terms of live accessability on the older L6. Too fiddly. But some excellent sounds.

(ps no pun intended with "patch").
So true! Tone (sound) is so subjective and I dont think theres a real all in one solution unless you only play one style of music. Certainly why I have 5 very different guitars but, sadly, amps take up lots of space lol. I try to have two at all times but seem to always be swapping one out every so often. Dont know why, just like trying different flavors I guess. I think lots of people wanted this code to be a sort of revolution in modeling. Its good but, not a holy grail. It only models marshalls( well done though) and a weak "American" which, the mustang excelled at, and the British 50s model which I believe is Vox type, is pretty terrible. Overall, it is a lot of fun playing amps I could never afford and if your a beginner, gets you great value for money.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Marshall modeling on the CODE 50 blows away Amplifi 100. Line 6 billed Amplifi as a way to also play your ITUNES library via Bluetooth. It did that but sound was nothing special. I can say after just a couple of hours of noodling that CODE is better than Amplifi, POD X3. Amplifi also looks like a plastic POS and Code looks better.

I bought the 50 yesterday because I'm sick of complaints of turning down the volume and want to jam whenever I want ( via headphones). It's not happening for me through headphones but I did get some nice low volume tones going. I really have no complaints other than the headphones. I need more time with it to really form an opinion but it passes the first big hurdle. As you know, expectations need to match reality of a $250 amp.
Code 50 is very good at maintaining killer tone at whisper volumes. Mustang 3 struggled at that. Anything past 1 on volume cause a huge jump in sound level, very annoying. Code blisters paint at talking volume.

Reaction score
I picked one up yesterday. Put it through paces today. It's fun effective little Practise amp. I got the 50. I take reviews like the one by the OP with a grain of salt. For example, the tone through head phones is nothing special at all. I've tried three sets now all good brands and it's all the same. In contrast, the tones through the speaker are good. The audio quality is not valve but especially the bluesbreaker, 800 and silver Jub tones are very good. For the price of a pedal you get some really useable features.

Who knows what the OP thinks is a good tone and what his experience is. The best thing to do on this budget entry level amps to to work them out yourself. I found many usable baseline tones and features.

I was playing a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

I bought it for the headphones feature but I don't like the tones at all. Nothing like what comes out of the speaker.

I was thinking of taking it back to Guitar Center but decided to keep it. I've not experienced any glitches.
Ya, I dont know why but phones out sounds awful. Better to run amp at super low volume, phones are really not useable,sad. Vox AV 30 had great tone on headphones and via speaker but, muddy gain.

Reaction score
I have the code 50 and it sounds horribly boxy. I'm not sending it back but I am going to take the back of it off tomorrow and cut 30% of the back panel off with a saw to see if that helps it sound less boxy.. I think this amp has potential but can't stand most of the sounds when playing with a drummer.. I will let you all know how it sounds after tomorrow.. Any thoughts?
Would like to know if that works. Id like to change the speaker to a real speaker like an eminence.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score

Word of caution. You're going to void your warranty and make it un-sellable when you decide to move on. Think real hard before you do that. You're better off returning it. If your going to play with a band, look at DSL15 which is a bit more expensive but a very good first valve Marshall. It's a Noticeable upgrade.

BTW, I asked the sales guy at Guitar Center where the Code Stands in the Marshall product line and what he thought of it. The answer-- MG line. You know who also said the same thing during a review on-line. The guy called the Captain at Andertons in the UK. He sells a few Marshall's. Point is, be realistic with expectations. I've not played one at gig volume so I can't comment. But at Practise levels above bedroom volumes it has a lot of usable tones and features.

Last edited:

Latest posts