Code 25 - Anyone As Disappointed As Me?

• Thread starter LeftyLuke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeftyLuke

Reaction score
So, I've had my Code 25 for about 2 months. And although I really wanted to like this amp, I really feel Marshall dropped the ball on this one.

My main gripe is that it feels like they rushed this one to market and the amp wasn't really ready to be released yet:

1. Footswitch isn't available yet.
2. No means of exchanging patches with other people
3. BUGS! My amp frequently locks up and needs to be restarted. Even worse, recording via USB is unusable due to digital noise on the signal. Marshall recognised the problem, but so far, we're still waiting for a firmware update.

But the worst part: the amp just doesn't *sound* good. Don't get me wrong: via headphones, the amp sounds stellar. Really, the amp modelling is excellent, including the lightly overdriven sound, which is so many modelling amps struggle with.

Clearly Marshall partnered with the right company here. Also: too bad you can't record it because of the USB problems.

But unplug the headphones and play via speaker and what do you get? An amp that lacks definition and sounds way too boxy. Is it just me, or is this amp way too loud, even at a master volume of 1?

I know at this price point we shouldn't expect the same quality as a $2000 Kemper, but with all of those problem, I should have spent my money elsewhere.

andy k

Reaction score
i got my gripes with it too, but seriously, where else can you get the amount of good stuff that the code25 gives you for the price of a pedal?
i agree they released it early, and us early adopters will always be the bug-finders.
i completely disagree that it doesnt sound good, cant compare headphone sound with speaker sound, and cant really expect the same response from a 10" speaker that you would get from a 4x12, but personally-i think they did a damn good job, and couldnt wait to get it out there.
Clearly, i think there will be a V2 version--maybe more wattage options, but i think even then people would be complaining that the 1 watt version doesnt deliver ,
i play my 25 at fairly quiet home volume, and get tone that i could never get with my 50 watt jcm900, or even my class5, at least not without severe attenuation or a lot of pedals, so now its just guitar-lead-amp.
anyhoo,
you'll get most of your money back if you sell it, and at least you tried, sorry it didnt work out for you- better luck next time.
cheers
andy k

rick16v

Reaction score
I've only tried the 50watter. I thought it was outstanding for the price and it sounded great through the speaker.

I guess the 12 inch driver is the key difference there.

James Clent

Reaction score
Not disappointed at all.
Looked at Mustang (nah), looked at the semi-modelling amps from Vox, Peavey, etc.

I like the Code because it has free access to good amp models and effects in an easy package, which (can) sound real.
But you need to put work into it, and as mentioned before, you need to match the patch to your guitar.
Just like the real deals, an AMP that sounds good when you play a Les Paul through it, may not sound as good with a Strat or Tele going through (with no tweaks).

Does it feel rushed: Yes
Does it feel bad? No
Does it meet expectations? Only you can answer that one.

My main recording amp it the 11-rack. (supplemented with Guitar Rig5, Sampletube, and GTR3.5)
My gig amp is the Marshall Code, just because of simplicity.

James
PS. Some folks switched out their speakers and felt they had better results. (search on You Tube)

The Ozzk

Reaction score
I've had zero problems with mine, and after some fine tweaking of the presets (i.e. starting w/a clean patch), it sounds terrific. It's remarkable to me that they can pack that kind of quality / that much amp into $250. Strong buy imo.

Did you get the 25 or 50, CR?

Ghostman

Reaction score

I'm still kicking around the MG102CFX for $599.99 +shipping

PzRBdoA.gif

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
OP, while sound opinions vary and are subjective, as to boxy - are you right in line with speaked or slightly off axis? It is very directional.
Also, keep Volume setting on each patch low so you can turn Master up some, it's less finicky. Past that, I like the 50 with the 12" speaker. Too bad the 25 didn't do it for you. And yes, there are some short omings due to what must have been a rush to get it to market, and THAT worked well...

shooto

Reaction score
I thought the Code (50) sucks...big disappointment...and I have a JMP, VM, JMD and a Mustang...so I'm familiar with real Marshall tone, Softube capabilities and a full-on cheap modeller...

I swapped the speaker out of the Code, cut out the cab sims and all the other tricks that have been talked about...all that made minimal difference in the quality of the amp's sound....boxy is correct and there is no way to dial it out...there were some decent models...I liked the JTM and Jub but they really failed to do the huge sound of these iconic amps justice, imo...to bad...awesome idea, bad execution...had it for 4 days-

Plectrum

Reaction score
I'm more than happy with my 50. I'll get the footswitch when it's available but so far it hasn't restricted my ability to use the amp live. I don't use any of the supplied presets but instead have made my own and spent a lot of time tweeking them to taste (I mainly use the JTM45 and Plexi models). Now that the speaker is breaking in I think it sounds rather good. Other guitarists have been complimentary about the sound and so far no-one from the audience has complained either :D I am under no delusion that it sounds exactly like a JTM45 or Plexi into a 4x12 but, at a fraction of the cost and weight, it's close enough for me :) It doesn't worry me that it occasionally locks up whilst saving a preset because I don't save presets midway through a song whilst playing live.

LeftyLuke

Reaction score
OP, while sound opinions vary and are subjective, as to boxy - are you right in line with speaked or slightly off axis? It is very directional.
Also, keep Volume setting on each patch low so you can turn Master up some, it's less finicky. Past that, I like the 50 with the 12" speaker. Too bad the 25 didn't do it for you. And yes, there are some short omings due to what must have been a rush to get it to market, and THAT worked well...

Yeah, I figured that out quite early on: originally I had it on the floor and the experience was really bad. It's indeed a very directional speaker. I have it on a chair now, but even then the sound is quite boxy. I guess it's the 10" speaker. I was tempted to go for the 50W with the 12", but seeing how loud the 25W is, I'm glad I didn't go for that.

I forgot to mention my final pet peeve in my original post: when you stream music from your PC via USB, the output is dual mono. I only noticed because they messed up the mix and it's mostly the left channel. But seriously. Mono. In 2016.

Open Lane

Reaction score
i keep waiting for solidstate amp technology that will compete with what the fractle has to offer. From what i've heard, the "code" isn't there yet. However, given the price tag, i would have been (pleasantly) surprised if it was.

Antmax

Reaction score
I think the 50 is fantastic value. My strat sounds excellent on it after some basic tweaks. My Ibanez needs completely different presets the hot pickups sound really bright and nasaly or as someone else mentioned about theirs "Honky" The difference between the two guitars with the same settings is quite stark.

Once you spend some time dialing it in and using the knobs on the guitar to help adjust the sound. It can sound very realistic. Like LeftyLuke I have mine about 2.5 feet in the air on a sideboard next to my desk kind of like a L shape with the amp on the short end facing me. So I guess it might be very directional (I never played it any other way) and I suppose the 12" is going to have a broader range than the 10".

When I first got my 50 I was a tad disappointed. I still haven't written a proper review of it because I really want the Gateway app fixed so I can give it a good rating. As an early adopter I don't mind the teething problems just so long as they keep supporting it and there is evidence of progress being made.

The patch sharing is in the works and a third party tool is being developed by on of the users here. Could open up the Midi functionality to Windows users.

fatpat187

Reaction score
i bought the code 25 on impulse, not particularly impressed, but for 200$? do you really expect a 200$ modeling amp to sound like a cranked jcm800? or a plexi? its never going to sound like that, but for living in an apartment, and working swing shift where im often up at 3am, it can noodle around on it and not get noise complaints..... it is what it is, a 200$ amp, want the real sound? spend 2000 on a head and 1000 on a cab, and crank it

LeftyLuke

Reaction score
i keep waiting for solidstate amp technology that will compete with what the fractle has to offer. From what i've heard, the "code" isn't there yet. However, given the price tag, i would have been (pleasantly) surprised if it was.

Actually, I'm kind of impressed with the digital part of the amp modelling: via headphones, the sound is really good. First time I hear the 'lightly overdriven' sound modelled so well. It's the analog part (the speaker) that I'm less impressed with.

flimbo

Reaction score
I'm really NOT impressed with the headphone sound on this amp. To me it sounds just like my Digitech RP360XP multi effects pedal (and that was basically unusable with headphones and isn't much better through an amp.)
I got a CODE 50 the other day and will probably send it back as the sound is really not doing it for me. I also have the Blackstar ID:30 TVP and that sounds a whole lot better, both through speaker AND headphones. I had high hopes for the CODE series but am disappointed.
Don't want to start a Marshall/Blackstar war but to me the Blackstar is the better sounding amp here.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
i bought the code 25 on impulse, not particularly impressed, but for 200$? do you really expect a 200$ modeling amp to sound like a cranked jcm800? or a plexi?

No, and that's why I would never buy one.

frankr442

Reaction score
I was very close to getting a Blackstar ID:30 TVP when I heard about Code. So I waited 6 months and got the 50. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Last edited: