Code100 Into Code412?

Is it possible

• Total voters

Bergdaassassin

Reaction score
Okay so out of curiousity, is it possible to put the Code100 Combo (the non head one) into the Code412 Cabinet and have it run? Making it a 6x12. If it doesn't work, can you tell me why, and if it does, can you tell me how? Thank you. 12515507_800.jpg J32121000001000-00-500x500.jpg

Clifdawg

Reaction score
Yes, it can be done. In fact, the Code 100 is clearly designed with that in mind. There's an 8 ohm loudspeaker jack on the back of the 100, and the Code 412 is an 8 ohm load, making it compatible. All you need to do is run a 1/4" speaker cable (NOT an instrument cable - order one specifically for speakers if you're not sure you have a cable that's safe for speaker output use) from the loudspeaker out jack on the combo to the loudspeaker in jack on the 412.

And with that said, I have one question... Why? Are you looking for more volume? Or sound quality? Because adding a 4x12 probably won't give you much of either. The only thing I can work out is that having a 2x12 combo on a 4x12 cabinet will "look cool" on stage, but that's a lot of money and effort for a little added stage presence...

If you want more volume and stage presence and arguably better British crunch, might I suggest the Orange Crush Pro 120 head and a decent 2x12? There's always the Harley Benton G212 Vintage cab from Thomann, which will net you a cab with two Celestion Vintage 30s for less than the cost of just the speakers themselves, even after international shipping. In fact, I'd recommend this over a Code 412 anyway, even with the Code Combo.

Last edited:

Clifdawg

Reaction score
He wants to run all 6 speakers,don't think its possible impedence will be wrong.
8 plus 8 will equel 4 ohms

You're right, but there's only one output jack, and that for an 8 ohm load. I wonder if plugging in a cab defeats the internal speakers?

Keefoman

Reaction score
You're right, but there's only one output jack, and that for an 8 ohm load. I wonder if plugging in a cab defeats the internal speakers?
That is certainly very common on combos with external output. Anyway, the code is not a tube amp, so speaker load isn't such an issue.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Most solid state amps can run 4 ohms minimum load...it's valve amps where you have to match impedance. You can usually plug any mix of speakers into a s/s amp so long as the load doesn't go less than 4 ohms.
Does anyone know if the Code is different?

rrguitar1

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a code 100 head into a 1960 cab demo. Very interested to hear how a quality cab sounds through it.

AtlBuckeye

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a code 100 head into a 1960 cab demo. Very interested to hear how a quality cab sounds through it.

Yes!! All the demo's I have heard of these are through the cheap a$$ Code speakers/cabinets. I am interested in this amp but don't know if it is capable of sounding good. So, if anyone has played the 100H through a decent cab, I would definitely be interested in hearing your opinion

Pat Travers

Reaction score
It sounds very good thru a REAL cabinet. I had the 100 combo but returned it because on its own i was not impressed.

JohnH

Reaction score
Im gonna say no dont do it!

The manual for the head says: "Do NOT connect a speaker cabinet of less than 8ohm"

So a 6x12 rig, likely to be 4ohm, is not covered. It also says not to run without a cab, unusual for an ss amp. It took Marshall many months to get this amp out the door, due to poweramp issues. I wonder if thats related?

Workerunit

Reaction score
I know this is necro posting, but I just got a like new Marshall Code 100H and with the latest firmware, and stock presets it sounds pretty damn good through my Fender 4X12 Showman cab. I just got it though, so I really only have a few minutes of play time through it.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Just an FYI, many moons ago I plugged a 4 ohm solid state amp into a 2 ohm cab, it always ran fine at low volume, but at band volume I'd pop fuses, and eventually burned out the amp a couple times operating it like this. After learning about serial and parallel wiring and ohm matching I rewired the cab to 4 ohms (and replaced some burned caps and resistors) I never had a problem again. So just do the math with your amp and cab ohms and you'll know if its a good idea or not.

Last edited:

Workerunit

Reaction score
Thanks paul-e-mann. I just got a used Marshall 412 code cabinet, but I have not had time to unpack it.

GustHFS

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know if my comments fits here, but I often run my Code 100 head through my MG50CFX's combo cabinet speaker and it rocks! I don't know if that works so well with the stock speaker, since I replaced it with a Celestion Seventy 80 some time ago.

Gust