comparison of 50w combos - JCM800 vs JCM900

• Thread starter Claret Badger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Claret Badger

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First post - so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I have got a 4502 JCM900 DR combo - which if I'm honest, sounds great with my Westone Thunder 2a.
Plenty of gain, nice distortion, full tone - bottom thru mids to top end. I can hear every note I (ham fistedly) play.

My bro - who got his JCM800 Master Lead the other week is struggling to get a decent tone when using his guitar (ESP Kirk Hamster thingy). He complains of great crunch just no bass/bottom end presence.

To me it sounds markedly thinner than my 900 - we even hooked it up to a 4x12 Marshall and although this tightened things up - he still was unhappy.

OK - I know this all sounds a little piecemeal - but of course I haven't had time to twiddle with it - and he is new to Valve amps.

But any advice opinions is welcome

The tubes are JJ's.

CB

butrus

Reaction score
The JCM800 should have plenty of botttom end...even more so then the 900.
Which model does he have?What speakers?

jitees

Reaction score
if he just got it recently, he might want to get it serviced & filter caps replaced, tubes checked & properly biased, etc. I'm pretty sure bad filter caps will rob the bottom end, and a 800, assuming they're stock, would surely be due.