Completely Out of My Depth - Modulus 50w 69 Build

• Thread starter kingfredward
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kingfredward

Reaction score
Pin 3 wires are inverted! And got exactly the same noise and loud hum

It hasn’t been biased yet considering the fact I am unable to read any bias current

LyseFar

Reaction score
You HAVE to check all your wiring from left to right. Ground scheme. Component values. Triple check the potmeter wiring (I have sometimes switched those around in a build - I have to admit - which can result in low or no sound). Tube wiring. Look for possible shorts.
EDIT: And your jack input wiring also…

Then use Rob Robinettes safety amp upstart procedure to check ground and all.

Important….

Last edited:

kingfredward

Reaction score
All this was hurting my head too much

Think I need to take a break from it all so put it in the head shell and I guess I can just admire it for now lol IMG_8185.jpegIMG_8184.jpeg

Really appreciate everyone’s help on all this

Last edited:

LyseFar

Reaction score
Maybe a good idea with a break.
I am sure that you sooner than later will succeed and enjoy the amp. 👍

kingfredward

Reaction score
Thanks all you guys are massive legends. I think I was rushing it as I am off to Canada for work soon for 1.5 weeks so wanted to get it finished

Also I noticed when discharging caps that the voltage creeps back up even when I haven’t got it plugged in. Is that normal?

Had a tiny shock today so now super paranoid and that was discharging everything and checking all the voltages carefully

I’ll take a look tomorrow. Appreciate all your guys help

PelliX

Reaction score
Also I noticed when discharging caps that the voltage creeps back up even when I haven’t got it plugged in. Is that normal?

Yes, that's normal. To avoid it you can - after fully draining the cap - clip its positive terminal to ground.

Had a tiny shock today so now super paranoid and that was discharging everything and checking all the voltages carefully

Healthy survival instinct, excellent :D

BlueX

Reaction score
Thanks all you guys are massive legends. I think I was rushing it as I am off to Canada for work soon for 1.5 weeks so wanted to get it finished

I’ll take a look tomorrow. Appreciate all your guys help
Sorry you ran into problems. Good idea to take a break, and come back with fresh mind.

The noise you hear could be caused by something simple like bad solder joint (could be tricky to find though). Follow structured best practice , like Robrobinette's startup procedure and troubleshooting steps, and you will get this amp working, I'm sure.