Considering the Origin 20 Head - speaker and cab recommendations

• Thread starter heavypic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

heavypic

Reaction score
Hey all,

Greetings all! My first post here but long-time forum reader.

After listening to y-tubes and reading forum reviews, I am considering the Origin 20 Head. I play classic rock and blues (Allmans, Haynes, ZZ Top, Cream/Clapton, Stones, AC/DC, SRV, the 3 Kings, etc.). I think the Origin 20 Head would complement my current amps (HR DeVille 212, DRRI, BJ, Bugera V22) and guitars/pedals (LPs, 335, Strats, Teles, TS808, Dunlop wah and Boss GT-3). This would be my first Marshall amp. I like boosted clean tone to moderate distortion. This amp seems to cover that ground well. The Origin 20 ‘head’ is a good choice for me as I would like a cab I could use with my other amps as well.

Any suggestions for speakers and cabinet size for O20 head? I am considering a 1x12, open-back, plywood cab design. Many prefer a Greenback type speaker or other Celestion with this amp. I'm open to suggestions.

One potential speaker that caught my ear is the Warehouse British Invasion - 12” Invader 50, 50 watt. I'm too new to this forum to include links but I heard a nice y-tube comparison of 5 speakers (Celestion Creamback G12M65 vs WGS Invader 50 vs ET65 vs Reaper HP vs Celestion G12H30). My favorites in order of preference were: the WGS Invader 50, the Celestion G12H30 (a close second and sounded similar to the Invader), and then third, the Celestion Creamback G12M65. To my ear, speaker breakup from max to least for this trio followed this same order. Again, I think the Invader and the G12H30 were close and had the most breakup/OD/distortion quality of the 3.

Given the anticipated clean-to-moderate overdrive/distortion tones of the Origin20, I’m thinking that speakers with moderate breakup (WGS Invader 50 or Celestion G12H30) might be a good choice in a 1x12 cab for the O20 for the music I play. I certainly don’t have the practical experience to make the best call for speakers/cabs from y-tubes and forums, so I welcome opinions on these and other similar speaker alternatives. I’m leaning toward a speaker with a ‘tighter’ Greenback quality…one with 30-60 watts that will give a good driven clean tone as well as smooth overdrive.

Lastly cabinets: Some 1x12 options include: Eminence XTC112-BT at 22.8"L x 16.6"H x 11.4"D or Peavey 112-6 at 25”L x 20.9”H x 14”D or Seizmic Luke-1x12V at 24.25"L x 11.25"D x 21.25H". The Peavey and Seizmic are closest in dimensions and the Emi is a bit less wide and less tall. All are plywood construction with an open back or open back option. The Peavy and Seizmic might have the biggest sound (bass / low mids frequencies) but given all the variables (amp, speaker choice, cab wood, etc.) you never know the outcome until you put it all together.

I appreciate replies/suggestions. Thanks! Regards…

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
The Origin20H is a great way to start your Marshall collection.
I'm not sure if I can advise you on speakers, I'm no speaker connoisseur, and it sounds like you already know more than I do.
I'm content with a pair of Vintage30s under my O20H.
Stand by for more opinions...

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Greetings all! My first post here but long-time forum reader.

After listening to y-tubes and reading forum reviews, I am considering the Origin 20 Head. I play classic rock and blues (Allmans, Haynes, ZZ Top, Cream/Clapton, Stones, AC/DC, SRV, the 3 Kings, etc.). I think the Origin 20 Head would complement my current amps (HR DeVille 212, DRRI, BJ, Bugera V22) and guitars/pedals (LPs, 335, Strats, Teles, TS808, Dunlop wah and Boss GT-3). This would be my first Marshall amp. I like boosted clean tone to moderate distortion. This amp seems to cover that ground well. The Origin 20 ‘head’ is a good choice for me as I would like a cab I could use with my other amps as well.

Any suggestions for speakers and cabinet size for O20 head? I am considering a 1x12, open-back, plywood cab design. Many prefer a Greenback type speaker or other Celestion with this amp. I'm open to suggestions.

One potential speaker that caught my ear is the Warehouse British Invasion - 12” Invader 50, 50 watt. I'm too new to this forum to include links but I heard a nice y-tube comparison of 5 speakers (Celestion Creamback G12M65 vs WGS Invader 50 vs ET65 vs Reaper HP vs Celestion G12H30). My favorites in order of preference were: the WGS Invader 50, the Celestion G12H30 (a close second and sounded similar to the Invader), and then third, the Celestion Creamback G12M65. To my ear, speaker breakup from max to least for this trio followed this same order. Again, I think the Invader and the G12H30 were close and had the most breakup/OD/distortion quality of the 3.

Given the anticipated clean-to-moderate overdrive/distortion tones of the Origin20, I’m thinking that speakers with moderate breakup (WGS Invader 50 or Celestion G12H30) might be a good choice in a 1x12 cab for the O20 for the music I play. I certainly don’t have the practical experience to make the best call for speakers/cabs from y-tubes and forums, so I welcome opinions on these and other similar speaker alternatives. I’m leaning toward a speaker with a ‘tighter’ Greenback quality…one with 30-60 watts that will give a good driven clean tone as well as smooth overdrive.

Lastly cabinets: Some 1x12 options include: Eminence XTC112-BT at 22.8"L x 16.6"H x 11.4"D or Peavey 112-6 at 25”L x 20.9”H x 14”D or Seizmic Luke-1x12V at 24.25"L x 11.25"D x 21.25H". The Peavey and Seizmic are closest in dimensions and the Emi is a bit less wide and less tall. All are plywood construction with an open back or open back option. The Peavy and Seizmic might have the biggest sound (bass / low mids frequencies) but given all the variables (amp, speaker choice, cab wood, etc.) you never know the outcome until you put it all together.

I appreciate replies/suggestions. Thanks! Regards…
If it were I, a 1966 loaded with G12Ms would be my choice !!!

rolijen

Reaction score
I giggled with Marshall amps early in my music career. Then, after catching the SRV bug, I switched to Fenders. 20 years later, I began to reconnect with the classic rock of my youth and bought an Origin 50 head and re-entered Marshall land. To familiarize myself with the new Marshall at minimal investment I picked up a used Marshall MX212 cabinet for US$180. Everyone dumps on the 70/80 speakers in the MX cabs, but honestly they sound fine in a closed back cabinet. I don’t gig any more thus the MX cabinet isn’t getting moved all the time so I decided to keep it and upgrade the speakers. I chose Celestion V-types. Since then I sold the Origin50 and tried the 20 watt version for a while (which was also very nice). Both sounded amazing through the V-Types. I now use that MX cabinet with an SC20h and it’s the bees knees. For me, these speakers are a perfect blending of a G12M and a Vintage 30.

Just one reformed Fenderholic’s experience with a couple of Origin heads.

Beltalowda

Reaction score
Hey all,

I think I recently saw the same yTube video you mentioned and was really impressed with the Invader 50. If I had the extra scratch to buy 2 new 12s I'd probably give those a shot in my future 2x12 cab, though I'd certainly look up a few more demos to see if what I am hearing in that one video is pretty consistent across the board. WGS has a B Stock Invader @ $82.50 USD, but then $109 for the new ones isn't terribly steep.

heavypic

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I think the O20 Head fills a void in my current amp/tone possibilities. The question now is the choice of speaker and cab for a 1x12. I like the option of open or closed back cab offered by Eminence and Peavey, given my experience to date is only open-back combos. I'm going to give the Celestion V-Types a listen for comparison to the Invader 50. At this point I'll remain open to speaker and cab recommendations. I may order the amp first and run it through my combo cabs to help with a decision on a 1x12 speaker/cab.

Recommendations welcome... Thanks all!!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Marshall Forum @heavypic!

Great first post man, lots of info there. Looks from the list of bands you like, you’re stuck in the 70s and Classic Rock period,.... I love it, so am I!

Although we enjoy different bands from that era it’s all Classic Rock. I’m the same as my buddy @fitz288 as far as speakers are concerned. I’m no connoisseur when it come to speakers, but I know what I like.

My #1 favorite speaker for my main Marshall cabinet is a G12M-65 Creamback, it a very balanced speaker imo, just the right low end, mids, and high end. Plenty of headroom for my liking, but my tastes in 70s music is a little heavier than the bands you prefer.

I’m sure some of our more technical members that know all the ins and outs of speakers will be along before too long. But I’m thinking if you post a speaker thread in the ‘Cabinets & Speakers’ section you’ll get more responses.

:cheers:

speyfly

Reaction score
Welcome to the club, I have a O20H and 2 closed back 1X12 cabs (Orange and JetCity). Right now I have a G12M in the Orange and a V30 in the JC (the Orange 1X12 comes with a V30). Like them both but I find that I'm playing through the G12M a little more.

If it were me I would want a convertible cab, you would have the best of both worlds. BTW I think the JC 1X12 cab sounds better than the Orange.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Many great suggestions here, I'll have to agree with @FracStrat and @Mitchell Pearrow that vintage voiced Marshalls sound best with Greenbacks! I own the Origin20c with the G10 V type and really opened my mind to the V types, I think they are pretty good at doing a Greenback voicing but with a little of its own flavor. I have been debating replacing the G12T75s in my 1960 with G12 V Type and at 70 watts each they can handle a lot. My most recent amp purchase came loaded with G12V70s and I really enjoy them. The G12T75s sound great for moderate gain and tight thump, I see why Marshall paired them with the JCM800 series of amps but I definitely prefer the "vintage" voiced speakers of Greenies and Vs.

For your style of music/playing I'd definitely recommend a Greenback or V type Celestion.

As for cabs, I hear good stuff about Peaveys offerings, sound and quality but I recommend you decide what kind of sound you want when it comes to open or closed back. I personally find open back much better in smaller spaces or inside rooms, closed back are the way to go with large and or open areas.

Last edited:

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many great suggestions here, I'll have to agree with @FracStrat and @Mitchell Pearrow that vintage voiced Marshalls sound best with Greenbacks! I own the Origin20c with the G10 V type and really opened my mind to the V types, I think they are pretty good at doing a Greenback voicing but with a little of its own flavor. I have been debating replacing the G12T75s in my 1960 with G12 V Type and at 70 watts each they can handle a lot. My most recent amp purchase came loaded with G12V70s and I really enjoy them. The G12T75s sound great for moderate gain and tight thump, I see why Marshall paired them with the JCM800 series of amps but I definitely prefer the "vintage" voiced speakers of Greenies and Vs.

For your style of music/playing I'd definitely recommend a Greenback or V type Celestion.

As for cabs, I hear good stuff about Peaveys offerings, sound and quality but I recommend you decide what kind of sound you want when it comes to open or closed back. I personally find open back much better in smaller spaces or inside rooms, closed back are the way to go with large and or open areas.
You made me think about what it is that makes the V Type in my 40CR sound so good to me ……
Stock Speakers seem to beg to be changed in so many Amps …… That was (and is) Not the Case with the V Type in that combo …… Really Hits Home IMHO in the Open Back Environment

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I’ve owned my Origin20h for almost a year. I’m currently running it through 2 1x12 (self-made) pine cabs. They are convertible (open back now). Celestion (25w) Greenback in one and a V-Type in the other through a Cab-Link for a 16 ohm load. I really like these two together.

These are my opinions so others will disagree which is why there are different speaker models and manufacturers. I don’t have any personal experience with the top priced models, but generally kind of standard fare.

Celestion Rocket 50: my least favorite, sounds buzzy with non-Origin amps I paired it with.

Celestion G75-T, ok, I like tone of others better.

WGS ET65: pretty good, pairs well with some heads nicely -like it with my Micro Dark.

Celestion (25w) Greenback: couple years old, sounds good with Micro Dark, Bugera G20, and Origin that I’ve tried it with.

Celestion V-Type: personal favorite, similar to Greenback but a bit smoother and I just prefer its tone. I bought a second V-Type this winter to go into a 2x12 cab build this summer.

Try some different types if you can - they all have their own voice. Go with what you prefer.

heavypic

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks so much for your replies and recommendations. I sincerely appreciate the response and help you give to this forum newbie. It says a lot of this group/forum!

Given your recommendations and following several speaker reviews on y-tube, I narrowed down speaker choices for a 1x12 cab to the Celestion G12 V Type Classic Series 70W, the G12M/G12H Creambacks, the Invader 50 and the Celestion G12H 30W. Sorry...I still can't post links. I have to say the V Type is my first choice by a good measure at this time. It has nice overdrive tones across it's frequency profile and retains good individual note definition. I'm thinking the V Type speaker in the aforementioned Peavey or Emi cabs or similar would be a good choice for me. I like that these cabs have the option for open or closed back. Yeah, I think this amp/speaker will ease my pain as I struggle through playing to the Allman Bros - Live at the Fillmore...Statesboro Blues, You Dont Love Me and Stormy Monday...LOL!!. Nothing like a little Duane and crew to put a smile on my face!

I'll update once I work my deals and get the goods in-house. Thanks again all... Regards

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks so much for your replies and recommendations. I sincerely appreciate the response and help you give to this forum newbie. It says a lot of this group/forum!

Given your recommendations and following several speaker reviews on y-tube, I narrowed down speaker choices for a 1x12 cab to the Celestion G12 V Type Classic Series 70W, the G12M/G12H Creambacks, the Invader 50 and the Celestion G12H 30W. Sorry...I still can't post links. I have to say the V Type is my first choice by a good measure at this time. It has nice overdrive tones across it's frequency profile and retains good individual note definition. I'm thinking the V Type speaker in the aforementioned Peavey or Emi cabs or similar would be a good choice for me. I like that these cabs have the option for open or closed back. Yeah, I think this amp/speaker will ease my pain as I struggle through playing to the Allman Bros - Live at the Fillmore...Statesboro Blues, You Dont Love Me and Stormy Monday...LOL!!. Nothing like a little Duane and crew to put a smile on my face!

I'll update once I work my deals and get the goods in-house. Thanks again all... Regards
Sounds like you're headed in the right direction!

I really can't say enough good about the V types, they sound so beautiful, chimey and clear when playing clean but can get that Greenback crunch that is oh so fantastic when pushed. It really is vintage sounding to my ears and I have yet to play an amp with them that sounded bad.

Have fun man!

Welcome to the MF!

C-Grin

Reaction score
Sounds like you're headed in the right direction!

I really can't say enough good about the V types, they sound so beautiful, chimey and clear when playing clean but can get that Greenback crunch that is oh so fantastic when pushed. It really is vintage sounding to my ears and I have yet to play an amp with them that sounded bad.

Have fun man!

Welcome to the MF!
So quick question, I have only used the VT jr and can’t speak for the 12”. But I always see it compared to a greenback (I did not hear that in the jr). So does it retain some of the dynamic vocal qualities that makes the GB so magical or is it say more compressed and less dynamic and “tighter” making it better suited for higher gain,drop timings and the like?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So quick question, I have only used the VT jr and can’t speak for the 12”. But I always see it compared to a greenback (I did not hear that in the jr). So does it retain some of the dynamic vocal qualities that makes the GB so magical or is it say more compressed and less dynamic and “tighter” making it better suited for higher gain,drop timings and the like?
I've run my O20H through a 10" GB & VT jr., along with pairs of 12" M-25 GB's & V-Types.
The 10"ers are much closer to each other than the 12's.
A/B on the 12's I think the V-Types stay cleaner and more transparent.
The 70w V-Types will start to break up if you have the Origin pegged.
Great speaker for hearing what the amp is doing, but doesn't add that "green back" mojo unless you're really pushin' air. (IMO)

Latest posts