Cosmetics of reissue 1974x always been the same?

• Thread starter bluesroom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bluesroom

Reaction score
When the 1974x was reissued were the cosmetics the same as it is now? Did the first run look more authentic? Thank you

goldtop0

Reaction score
The early ones had a better looking grille cloth to them, looked more like the '66/67 Pinstripe cloth of the originals.

Last edited:

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I’ve owned a few 1974x’s. I think that I bought my first one new in 2011 (first photo).

I believe that last photo was a 2016 or 2017 1974x and an older 1974x extension cab. You can clearly see the difference in the grill cloth.

IMG_0067.jpeg
IMG_1570.jpeg
IMG_1570.jpeg
IMG_2587.jpeg

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
If it were mine, I'd spring for the E.C. Collins repro pinstripe grille cloth. Expensive but totally worth the look, in my opinion.

I'm about to build a bottom version of a 2061CX cabinet and when I've got the pair I may put Collins grille cloth on both.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
If it were mine, I'd spring for the E.C. Collins repro pinstripe grille cloth. Expensive but totally worth the look, in my opinion.

I'm about to build a bottom version of a 2061CX cabinet and when I've got the pair I may put Collins grille cloth on both.
Agree. I had Eric’s cloth installed on my 1962HW and it improved looks and tone.

I’m thinking of buying it again in another Marshall, if I can locate someone locally, to install it professionally.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Well, I AM in Florida, across the state in Melbourne, and I have the right tools (a canvas stretcher, and a staple gun, and a good eye) to do a really good job and if you're in the area I'll do it for you. It's an easy hour's job. If you bring it to me stripped and ready for new grille cloth, it'll be done before we get done BS'ing about the weather. And it'll be drum tight with even tension all across.

I'll have a photo up of my '75 Fender Princeton in a few minutes. I made a new baffle for it and grilled it. That's a clean piece of work, the grid lines are even it's drum tight, and even across the whole surface.