Could some one fill me in on 6100's?

• Thread starter Duppy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Duppy

Reaction score
I'm a pedals and NMV user so I'm use to no more than six controls, but lately I've been liking the idea of the amp making the dirt for me.

For some reason I'm drawn to the 6100, which is strange for me as that amount of knobs and switches usually makes me quiver with fright.

BUT... I think the 3 channel approach of clean/crunch/heavy is what I need as that's the way I set up my pedals.

But there are so many switches and buttons front and back, what do they all do?

And i'm sure i've heard the footswitch is midi controlled. Whats that all about?

And am I right in thinking there are 3 models. One with EL34's, one with 5881's, a 30th Anniversary edition and one that is all brass. Which is the one to get?

Do your best sales pitch on me and tell me why I should buy one.

allstar100595

Reaction score
Alright, here we go!

First off, the EL34 model and the LE brass model are basically the same amps, except for the brass, being limited to 800 amps, and being handmade. Other than that there are really no differences. I've only seen one LE up for sale in the past 6 months, and that was the one I got, so not many people seem to be selling, which I guess is a good thing. Those are the most desirable, and fetch a pretty penny compared to the others. Dr. Marshall himself said when these came out that the LE's would become the most desirable amplifiers ever. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm still hoping they do!

There is a MIDI output for a footswitch, or the footswitch that comes with the amp, which is a 6-pin. The MIDI just makes it much easier for you to switch channels and effects at the same time if you use a MIDI rig.

I too like as little knobs as possible, it just makes for less trouble and confusion, so I was wary at first. Just remember, on the front, there are just as few knobs for each channel, including the master volume and presence, as there would be on any 1 channel amp, there's just 3 channels. There are a few buttons on the front as well that give you a lot of control over your sound.

On the clean channel there is a bright button and a mid shift button, which do exactly as they say. This channel easily has the best cleans Marshall has ever made, and I love setting it just on the verge of breakup and turning my guitar volume down a bit.

The crunch channel, easily the most versatile of them all, literally takes you from JTM range to SLP to JMP to 800 to 900 by tweaking the channel volume, gain, and modes. I kid you not, my other guitarist has a YJM, and when I tried to copy his sound on my amp, it copied to a T. I could seriously not tell the difference between the two.

The lead channel has a mid contour (which scoops the mids) and a gain boost for soloing or insane gain. It does exactly what it should, though I don't use the channel myself much as I don't do too much lead work and I'm addicted to the sound of my crunch channel.

Actually, the way I run my crunch channel, I can easily use it as a one channel amp. I set it to mode B with the gain halfway and channel volume dimed, and run a Way Huge Green Rhino to get it to where I want it. Then it has awesome cleans by switching off your dirt pedal and rolling back the guitar volume. I really think that they shoved a whole JMP circuit into my amp, because it sounds exactly like one with the setting I have, and the dynamics of a single channel amp are still very present. Just by pick attack alone I can go from a decent clean to AC/DC.

There's also a volume comp. button for when you need to play quietly, which boost your frequencies and gain to make the tone better at low volumes. Also, there's low comp and high comp buttons, which can take the harshness of a bright guitar or muddiness of a bassy guitar away very well.

On the back, I can't help you very much as I don't understand a whole lot of what's back there. I'll try my best though! My favorite feature is the half power switch, which takes 2 of the 4 tubes out of the mix, and then the pentode/triode switch, which can take out part of the tubes you're using, so you essentially have either a 100w, 50w, or 25w amp. I'm not crazy about the 25w mode, but the other 2 are great.

There's a whole bunch of stuff to do with the FX loop that I don't really use that much, and that's really about all I can help with on the back!

All in all, there is virtually everything you could really want in an amp, and if you want more then you're just really selfish! The fact I love the most is that you don't need to use it as a 3 channel amp. You can easily use it as 1 or 2 and not miss anything. It'll handle whatever your long time favorite tones are, or your flavor of the month. I think it's a shame it's not a more widely known amp, because it really does every Marshall amp up to a JCM 900 extremely well, with ease. Hope this helps!

Mat_P

Reaction score
Allstar sums it up pretty well.
I was running two simultaneously back in the 90th, the 6100 with EL34 and the 6100LM with 5881 and just recently bought an LM for my son. Well, almost made me want to keep the Marshall and fobbing off my son with my Pittbull Ultralead. :D
The LM has a redesigned, more modernish voiced third channel with more allover gain. The EL34 version's third channel sounds more marshallesque to my ears. Really comes down to personal taste which one you prefer.
I like them both.

Duppy

Reaction score
That's great information from both of you thanks. It sounds like a pure joy. So the EL34 version isn't considered better than 5881 version, just different? The 5881 (is that the LM) having more gain on the 3rd channel?

What's the 30th anniversary edition?

Question is would you trade a 1974 Superbass for one?

allstar100595

Reaction score
Good question. It would really all depend on what you wanted. If all you really want is 1 channel at 100w and that's it, don't want any features or things to change your tone a bit, then no. But if you like having the options and all the cool features, 3 channels so you don't exactly need any pedals, then yes, in a second.

The other thing is value. I guess to most people the Super Bass would be much more valuable and more of an "investment". If you wanted a regular 6100 or 6100LM, you'd be getting a good chunk of cash back. With the LE edition, I'd imagine it would be pretty much a straight swap.

I'm pretty sure they're all considered 30th anniversary models, but I may be wrong.

CAPDUNN

Reaction score
The blue heads are worth more being made in 1992. All of those are EL34 unless converted to 5881s. I have both asnd love the non LM EL34 much more so I am finishing converting my LM to the same setup as my 6101.

If you are offered a blue LE. Get it as it will skyrocket in value in the next few years.

pinto79

Reaction score
I'll add that the effects loops, to me anyway, are very useful and don't mess with your tone. I was running a whole mess of pedals and a clean boost with great success.

My blue one is for sale in the classifieds if you are interested.

Sigi M

Reaction score
The 6100 30th Anniversary is the most versatile Marshall Amp I know
(I know a lot)

6100 LM live on the road, 20 years whitout any problems.

2x 6100 LE for playing at home. I prefer the EL 34 Version.

Sigi

Attachments

• 02-03.2011 004.jpg
    02-03.2011 004.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 07.01.2012 019.jpg
    07.01.2012 019.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 14

dptone5

Reaction score
The information others have given you is excellent. I absolutely love my 6100 (1994, Black Tolex, EL34's). I run my chorus, delay, reverb and EQ (mostly as a boost) in the loop and put my OD pedal in front.

The clean channel is unbelievable! Joe Satriani used 6100's for a number of years and in his signature JVM, he wanted the clean channel modeled after the 6100's clean.

Like Allstar, I primarily use the Crunch Channel in B mode. Pushed with a good OD, it sounds like my 800 with a stronger low end. Smooth sustain and power.

I love the low volume compensator button. Of all my Marshalls, I can play at low volumes, sit in front of the cabinet and still get that Marshall tone.

Pinto has a really nice one he can sell you!!!

Good luck and if you get one, please update us!

DP

trobdcso

Reaction score
Damn, this thread had made me want to add a 6100LM to my collection. Now the search begins...

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
I've got a non-LM 5881 from '93.

Great clean. Great crunch. Great lead. I do use Ch. 3...set it up similar to Ch.2 but louder. I don't really use it as a lead channel, but as another rhythm channel and push with ODs to go into lead mode. Ch. 3 is definitely tighter but also more bassy than Ch. 2.

You can find amazing tones on each channel, the only trade-off being the master-to-master ratios (maybe you like the global master above 4.5 on Ch. 2 but that high a global master setting makes Ch. 3 too gainy.

The FX loops are really great. I don't really want another amp.

trobdcso

Reaction score
I've got a non-LM 5881 from '93.

Great clean. Great crunch. Great lead. I do use Ch. 3...set it up similar to Ch.2 but louder. I don't really use it as a lead channel, but as another rhythm channel and push with ODs to go into lead mode. Ch. 3 is definitely tighter but also more bassy than Ch. 2.

You can find amazing tones on each channel, the only trade-off being the master-to-master ratios (maybe you like the global master above 4.5 on Ch. 2 but that high a global master setting makes Ch. 3 too gainy.

The FX loops are really great. I don't really want another amp.

Ok, I'm confused. A non LM 5881? I think I'm getting the 6100 and the LM mixed up...

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
Nah, I've got a weird in-between model. They exist. There's a few black, non-LM EL-34 and 5881 versions.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
Nah, I've got a weird in-between model. They exist. There's a few black, non-LM EL-34 and 5881 versions.
i had one too..pretty rare. powerfull amp and a tone monster. the only problem i had with it is i couldn't get along with the 5881 lack of the low mids typical to the marshall tone (ch 3 has more mids though) and i didn't want to change the tubes to el-34.So if you can i would suggest you get the el-34 version and enjoy a monster of an amp.

JayCM800

Reaction score
My sales pitch would be: "Get something with warranty, four chanels... and it also comes in blue!":
marshall-jvm-410hjs+1960ajsb.jpg

JVM410JS :naughty::naughty::naughty:

trobdcso

Reaction score
So if I want the 3rd channel a little more modern, I want a 6100LM with 5881's correct?

allstar100595

Reaction score
So if I want the 3rd channel a little more modern, I want a 6100LM with 5881's correct?

I kinda think that's in comparison to the EL-34 version, which for me is still plenty modern and gainy. I play it with the gain at 11 o'clock as a more driven crunch channel boost, and that's extremely modern sounding. I think the EL version could easily take on a 5150 or a Rectifier pretty easily with a much more organic tone and feel.