Custom 2 x 12 Cabinet Build Project

• Thread starter lespaulboy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nickc6

Reaction score
Great job on the cab!!! I'm a trim carpenter and I just slapped 4 pieces of birch together and used corner blocks for my 2x12 cab. You've really done a professional job!!! I think next time I'll use dowels or finger joints. Here's some pics of my cab. Open back design for my AC 30 using a webber alnico blue dog and webber alnico silver bell

Attachments

• IMG_6441.jpg
    IMG_6441.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6927.jpg
    IMG_6927.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 90

lespaulboy

Reaction score
Great job on the cab!!! I'm a trim carpenter and I just slapped 4 pieces of birch together and used corner blocks for my 2x12 cab. You've really done a professional job!!! I think next time I'll use dowels or finger joints. Here's some pics of my cab. Open back design for my AC 30 using a webber alnico blue dog and webber alnico silver bell

Wow.... that looks really nice !! Gotta love the retro blue. My project is still at a stand still. I was talking to Parts is Parts the other day and they still do not have my Tolex or Grill cloth... this has been going on 5 months :wtf:. I have my heart set on the OEM Marshall Tolex and Grill, speaker jack and skid plates, but my patience is running out. I'm thinking about going with the aftermarket stuff that other guys have...

Nickc6

Reaction score
5 months!!! That's crazy!!! I had a similar situation but mine wasn't out of stock I just got ripped off. I bought everything I needed from an online supplier including hardware and never got it. Needless to say I now research sites before I buy instead of after I can't get my stuff. Eventually I just picked up some marine grade vinyl from a fabric store.

lespaulboy

Reaction score
OK... just got a call form Parts is Parts. They finally got all their parts in from their new supplier and will be shipping out my Tolex, Grill Cloth, Piping and Recessed Jack in the next day. I'll be getting this project back into full swing in the next week or two... stay tuned !

:headbanger:

lespaulboy

Reaction score
OK... just got a call form Parts is Parts. They finally got all their parts in from their new supplier and will be shipping out my Tolex, Grill Cloth, Piping and Recessed Jack in the next day. I'll be getting this project back into full swing in the next week or two... stay tuned !

Alright.. I'm generally a very patient person, but I'm about ready to pull my hair out.

I follow up with Parts is Parts to find out why I haven't seen an order notification yet and the response I get is that my order was cancelled by mistake, right after they called to confirm that I still wanted to proceed and that all my parts were in stock. Guess what, all my parts are no longer in stock.... They now had to re-enter my order. :wtf:

lespaulboy

Reaction score
Ok... I was away last week on a bike trip in Deal's Gap, NC and when I got home... SURPRISE ! My tolex, grill cloth, piping, jack cup and anti skid trays had arrived while I was gone ! I now have everything I need to finish this project.

I'll be a bit busy with other stuff in the next week or so, but will be digging in shortly after to get this done ! There IS light at the end of the tunnel!

Short Circuit

Reaction score
Excellent !!!!!
This thread is inspiring me to build a 2 x 12 cabinet........after I get the bathroom renovations done first :naughty:

Mark

V-man

Reaction score
Your woodwork is giving me some wood here!

lespaulboy

Reaction score
OK... time for some updates and pics. I had some time this weekend to progress some more on this project. The speaker baffle board is complete. As per "Hillcountry's" suggestion, I put a "pictureframe" border on the face of the baffle to keep the grill cloth of the surface. The dimensions of the border is 1/4" x 1 1/2". I've also installed the "T" nuts for speaker installation and painted it black.

cab13.jpg

cab12.jpg

Since this project is based on a Marshall 1936 cabinet (just slightly bigger), I figured I would use some of the same components. I liked the idea of the anti skid trays for the amp feet, so i ordered a set. Thing is, I needed to router out a two small recesses in the top of the cabinet as they don't sit flush. The cavity is about 1/8" in depth (I considered the thickness of the tolex when routing).

cab9.jpg

cab10.jpg

I also had time to cut out the 1" x 1 1/4" pieces that the back panel screws into. I just placed the pieces in position, put still need to glue them into place. Note the side pieces have an angled cut near the top with a space. This is so the front baffle board can be slide in to the cabinet.

cab11.jpg

I hope make some more progress later this week !

lespaulboy

Reaction score
I spent part of Saturday working on applying the tolex. I did a quick test on some scrap pieces of wood to see what kind of tolex glue to use. I actually went with the first glue I tried. It's a waterbased "green" contact cement manufactured by LePages (parent company is Henkel...) This stuff worked fantastically. The thing I liked about it, is that it seemed to have a longer "open time", allowing me to take more time to cut and fit my corners as I went. I also bought a laminate roller (hard rubber) to apply even, heavy pressure to smooth out tolex and ensure good adhesion. This Contact Cement apparently has a shelf life of 18 months, so it is important to note the manufacturing date when you purchase it... there were cans on the shelf at the Home Depot that were manufactured in 2009... glad I looked and found cans that has a 2011 date on them...

So here's the seam on the bottom corner of the cab. I cut it so that it would end under the metal corners that will eventually be installed. Just looks a little neater and should help hold the seam in place.

cab14.jpg

cab15.jpg

I managed to get the cab completely tolexed (except for the back). I didn't find it very hard to do... the key is to plan your cuts, and practice on some scrap pieces before you commit. Be careful if you decide to precut your corners prior to applying the glue as the contact cement causes the tolex to shrink which would result in gaps at your seams. I applied the glue, let it set up, and then made my corner cuts. I used wax paper between the tolex and cabinet to prevent adhesion while I made my cuts.

Here's a couple pics (front and back) of the finished tolex job.. no hardware installed yet.

cab16.jpg

cab17.jpg

Next up... I'll need to tolex the back panel, install the speaker grill cloth, and glue in my corner braces...

nedcronin

Reaction score
Very nice work! I have no carpentry or woodworking skills so I really admire your work, it's first rate. I bet that cab is going to sound killer.

lespaulboy

Reaction score
That's looking real good !!!!
So that is one piece of Tolex wrapped around?

Mark

Yes.. it is actually one piece of tolex wrapped around. You can see where my one seam is (three pics up) on the bottom of the cabinet. I bought four yards of tolex which is enough to do two full 2x12 cabs and one head.

lespaulboy

Reaction score
I've got the rear panel tolexed now, and I'm working on the grill cloth but I'm really stugging with this (the tolex was way easier).

I'm using the black basket weave cloth. I managed to get it really tight on my initial install, lots of staples on the edge. As suggested by others, I lighty misted the cloth with water to help with the strechtcing process. The next day, the grill cloth was loose, to the point of flapping. So I removed the staples and did the job all over. It has again loosened up (confirmed it is not slipping or loosening up at the staples). So now I have physically stretched the cloth (applied a whole lot of pressure form the inside to stretch it more) and will pull the staples once more and reapply.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience ??? HELP !!!