• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

DI out on Marshall Origin 20C

• Thread starter Townie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Townie

Reaction score
What cable do I need to connect the DI out on my Origin 20C to my audio interface? 1/4” TRS or 1/4” TS? I’m assuming a speaker cable, so TRS? The AI can accept a 1/4 “ jack or an XLR.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What cable do I need to connect the DI out on my Origin 20C to my audio interface? 1/4” TRS or 1/4” TS? I’m assuming a speaker cable, so TRS? The AI can accept a 1/4 “ jack or an XLR.
:welcome: to the forum.
Speaker cable is not necessary for the DI out, and the amp is not stereo, so a TS instrument cable is all you need.
The DI out has a built-in speaker emulation, so if your interface can accept the 8 or 16 ohm powered speaker out, you may get a better quality signal.

Edit: You can also unplug the speaker - the Origin20 has a built-in dummy load that is activated when the speaker is not connected.

Townie

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
Speaker cable is not necessary for the DI out, and the amp is not stereo, so a TS instrument cable is all you need.
The DI out has a built-in speaker emulation, so if your interface can accept the 8 or 16 ohm powered speaker out, you may get a better quality signal.

Edit: You can also unplug the speaker - the Origin20 has a built-in dummy load that is activated when the speaker is not connected.
Regular cable; thanks! I don’t think my Scarlett AI can take the powered speaker out.

I can disconnect the speaker while the DI is connected and not blow my amp? That’s impressive! I did $200 worth of damage to my old YCV40 when I turned it on with the speaker cable out.

Last edited:

steveb63

Reaction score
Regular cable; thanks! I don’t think my Scarlett AI can take the powered speaker out.

I can disconnect the speaker while the DI is connected and not blow my amp? That’s impressive! I did $200 worth of damage to my old YCV40 when I turned it on with the speaker cable out.
Safe with the Origin.

Haven't had mine hooked to a speaker cab in months Lol.

I use it for recording a few times a week, no damage.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Speaker cables are unshielded. The size of the powered signal coming from the power amp completely overwhelms any rf interference the cable may pick up.

Instrument cable is shielded because rf interference may be on a par with the un-amplified signal from a guitar pickup.

The shielding on an instrument cable is also a possible cause of heat build up from a powered signal causing a fire risk, and isn't used for speaker connections.

Last edited:

Townie

Reaction score
Speaker cables are unshielded. The size of the powered signal coming from the power amp completely overwhelms any rf interference the cable may pick up.

Instrument cable is shielded because rf interference may be on a par with the un-amplified signal from a guitar pickup.

The shielding on an instrument cable is also a possible cause of heat build up from a powered signaI causing a fire risk, and isn't used for speaker connections.
So is the DI a powered out or a line level out? If I get what you said, a line level out needs an instrument cable or a shielded guitar cable to block any RF signals but use an unshielded cable if using the 8 or 16 ohm speaker output to prevent over-heating?

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is the DI a powered out or a line level out? If I get what you said, a line level out needs an instrument cable or a shielded guitar cable to block any RF signals but use an unshielded cable if using the 8 or 16 ohm speaker output to prevent over-heating?
DI out is unbalanced line level - shielded instrument cable is best.

Speaker out should be balanced, 2 conductor speaker cable.
Shielding on a speaker cable is unnecessary because the speaker signal will more than overpower any outside interference.

Caffeinated

Reaction score
Hijacking an old thread rather than starting a new one as relevant subject :)

I hadn't realised the ORI20 had a built in dummy - that's potentially useful.

I've not tried the emulated out yet but I know I don't care for the one in my DSL1. Is it even feasible to think about getting an unfiltered DI that could feed an IR loader for silent interface use? Isolation boxes aren't an option and small terraced housing means headphone operation at home is desirable for flexibility as it lets me pick my time rather than looking for everyone to be out first 😂

qautomat

Reaction score
Hijacking an old thread rather than starting a new one as relevant subject :)

I hadn't realised the ORI20 had a built in dummy - that's potentially useful.

I've not tried the emulated out yet but I know I don't care for the one in my DSL1. Is it even feasible to think about getting an unfiltered DI that could feed an IR loader for silent interface use? Isolation boxes aren't an option and small terraced housing means headphone operation at home is desirable for flexibility as it lets me pick my time rather than looking for everyone to be out first 😂
Yeah, it's very easy. You can use loadbox like AMT PE-15 to get raw signal and disable speaker

PelliX

Reaction score
I've not tried the emulated out yet but I know I don't care for the one in my DSL1.

The Origin has a DI rather than an emulated out, though I believe it's "speaker simulated", meaning it's not just a pure DI output as such. The e-out on the DSL's is a bad joke and an insult to their tone, hehe.

Is it even feasible to think about getting an unfiltered DI that could feed an IR loader for silent interface use? Isolation boxes aren't an option and small terraced housing means headphone operation at home is desirable for flexibility as it lets me pick my time rather than looking for everyone to be out first 😂

A DI box may work 'better', but is technically not required for connection of the DI out to your interface. Do check that it's set to handle the correct "level", else it may sound awful. Depending on the type there's probably a Line/Mic switch and perhaps a Pad option to drop the level by a few dB.

DI out is unbalanced line level - shielded instrument cable is best.

Sure? Many DI outs are in fact actually balanced. Often these are XLR jacks, but a stereo (TRS) 1/4" can be used as a balanced connector. I've honestly not checked this on the Ori or Studio series, though....

Speaker out should be balanced, 2 conductor speaker cable.

Balanced refers to there being a third connector; e.g.

Balanced-Unbalanced-Connections.jpg

The speaker cable might be referred to as 'symmetrical' rather than balanced for clarity. :shrug:

Caffeinated

Reaction score
DI OUT signal has EQ filter, so i prefered raw signal from loadbox for IR loader
That's what I was thinking. The 'speaker simulation' on the DSL1 is atrocious unless sludge is your bag. I'm kinda expecting to find the ORI20 suffers the same... If Marshall ever send anyone to read this stuff, it would be awesome to have a pure DI option..

PelliX

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. The 'speaker simulation' on the DSL1 is atrocious unless sludge is your bag. I'm kinda expecting to find the ORI20 suffers the same... If Marshall ever send anyone to read this stuff, it would be awesome to have a pure DI option..

Negative, the line out (or emulated out) on DSL's is at headphone-ish levels, emulated. The DI on any Marshall amp is (fortunately) either a pure DI or at least a DI with some EQ'ing/elementary simulation.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@PelliX , have you tried the DI out on the Studio800?

I’ve had the amp for 5 years now and I don’t recall ever trying it, I may have but if I did iIt certainly didn’t impress me. My experience with Marshalls Eout or Di out is not good, I haven’t heard any Marshall “out” that sounds good.

I’ve got a Bugera G5 Infinium that has an exemplary e-out, with the choice of either a 2-12 or a 4-12 virtual cab. The Bugera e-out actually sounds better than the amp does thru speakers, much better imo.

So much better than any Marshall e-out I’ve ever heard. The e-out alone is worth the price that I paid for the amp 7 years ago, ($200 open box at Sweetwater). I use if often for silent playing or recording, you just leave the amp in standby and the e-out is activated.

PelliX

Reaction score
@PelliX , have you tried the DI out on the Studio800?

Briefly - "it worked". I've never been into the DI thing as it were. Been meaning to give that another swing sometime soon...

I’ve got a Bugera G5 Infinium that has an exemplary e-out, with the choice of either a 2-12 or a 4-12 virtual cab. The Bugera e-out actually sounds better than the amp does thru speakers, much better imo.

Yup, Blackstars also seem to have pretty decent emulated outputs. How Marshall put the disgusting abomination that is their e-out on the DSL's beats me. I'm having a hard time imagining anyone, let alone an engineer hearing it and saying "ah, that isn't *too* bad - ship it, guys". :shrug:

So much better than any Marshall e-out I’ve ever heard. The e-out alone is worth the price that I paid for the amp 7 years ago, ($200 open box at Sweetwater). I use if often for silent playing or recording, you just leave the amp in standby and the e-out is activated.

Yup, and that's about the only saving grace for the e-out on a DSL - it doesn't require the power stage to be engaged as opposed to the DI out on just about all other Marshall amps.

Caffeinated

Reaction score
Pretty much. I mean most people probably want the emulated out for practice purposes where they really need a speaker put of the equation. I'm not sure many really want it for recording purposes anymore as there are just so many other options now.

PelliX

Reaction score
Pretty much. I mean most people probably want the emulated out for practice purposes where they really need a speaker put of the equation. I'm not sure many really want it for recording purposes anymore as there are just so many other options now.

When a device has 6.2mm (1/4") *and* 3.5mm (1/8") jacks, generally the latter are not intended for serious use. It's a rule of thumb that holds true with a lot of gear. There are exceptions of course like the 3.5mm jack on my TR-505 which 'dumps' the raw MIDI as binary audio signals to an external recorder.

Caffeinated

Reaction score
Yarp. What we used to call 'Walkman jacks' are a dead giveaway that a feature is aimed at home use.