Did Hendrix ever run a JTM w/JMP heads?

• Thread starter Purplexi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Purplexi

Reaction score
I'm talkin' actual photo or tech note/quotes. Obviously at some point this had to have occurred and I feel it of importance enough to try and determine when or where. If you think you can spot this with high def or by eye, please chime in!

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that at some point Jimi must have used JTM's. My understanding is that he loved 50 watts in the studio. Good luck.

July 1966: Do these look like Small Boxes, IDK?
HendrixSmallBox.jpg

I know that you understand the history but here is another link just in case.

Aracom Amplifiers Crank it up! History of Early Handwired 1962-1973 Marshall Amplifiers

David

David C. Hopkins on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Purplexi

Reaction score
I do appreciate the Aracom site history you've provided. Jimi was of course known to use a wide variety of JTM 100 watt heads, starting in 66 with the JTM 45 100 and later at Monterey with "Black Flag" JTM 100's. I just want to find proof that he teamed any EL34 based JTM 100 watt head, the Super, "C", "Black Flag" along with the later 68 and 69 SLP JMP's, EL34 or even 6550 powered heads. I hadn't even considered small box heads but it's an interesting as well as logical point.

guitarman8

Reaction score
We all used them super leads with the four inputs just cranking them up. Strat users like jimmy depended on fuzz tones, jimmy page just cranked the les paul through a echoplex.

I saw the Hendrix Experience at the fillmore east coast several times, once at shea stadium - Janis Joplin and big brother & the holding co. opened up for him, later at the fillmore more Jimmy with buddy miles and billy cox as the band of gypsys. Sweet

Last edited:

Purplexi

Reaction score
I saw the Hendrix Experience at the fillmore east coast several times, once at shea stadium - Janis Joplin and big brother & the holding co. opened up for him, later at the fillmore more Jimmy with buddy miles and billy cox as the band of gypsys. Sweet
Oh, do go on... please?? Just any old thing you might recall on that subject...:hippie:

Marshallhead

Reaction score
Monterey had a 45/100 head, not a black flag JTM. I haven't seen any pics in all my travels with jtm and jmp amps mixed together.

Purplexi

Reaction score
I genuinely appreciate your input concerning Jimi's use of the JTM 45 100. Although it was his initial amp for recording and through his extensive UK performances, it was discovered by high def imagery that Jimi in fact had one, more likely two "Black Flag" JTM 100's at Monterey.

Marshallhead

Reaction score
What's your source for this - do you have links to the pics? I'm on my iPhone on a train so limited in what I can do here but the Monterey footage clearly shows a 45/100 on top of the stack. It's easy enough to tell, as you get a few good shots behind him and the amp has the characteristic bigger space between the inputs and the front panel cutout of a 45/100. The black flag jtm and the jmp heads have the whole collection of switches knobs and inputs further over to the right.

Purplexi

Reaction score
The footage is in the Monterey DVD as Jimi's leaving the stage. Stop frame analysis has made it a given amongst experts. I only have the VHS but I'll try and scare up some links, here's something for now under "Black Flag", just info.JTM45/100

Marshallhead

Reaction score
Aha, I get you. I checked my HD DVD and it's the amp sitting on it's end on the floor that you're referring to. Even on a 50" screen and HD you can't tell if it's a Black flag JTM or JMP - it's definitely one of these two and not a 45, but given the accepted timeline it prettyuch has to be a black flag. Mystery solved!

Now, I wonder why he chose to use his old 45 and not the shiny new one?

Purplexi

Reaction score
Beats the heck outta' me, but you're the resident MKIII guy here. All I know is, his cleans at Monterey are a little hard for KT66's, at least to my ears and when I first read about the "Black flag" at the legendary festival it made sense to me. Now I don't know what to think but I'm still interested to note ANY occassion where he may have blended, inadveratantly or otherwise, different output stage Marshall's. Do ya' think we might have a winner here??

Marshallhead

Reaction score
The KT66 cleans are fairly full yet glassy, and there's the added effect of a fuzz face with the guitar backed off which actually sounds even cleaner. The head on the floor at Monterey seems to be switched off and has nothing plugged into it, so I don't think it was used at all, however there are also the Fender amps to Jimi's left which we may be hearing.

Incidentally, I played through the Dickinson amp, but it was impossible to close in on an authentic early Jimi tone, without messing with the amp and fuzz, which I didn't have time to do. Put it this way, you could not plug on and get instant Jimi.

Reaction score
Interesting topic. I've read about the black flag being on stage and, just like mentioned in the last post, no guitar cable was plugged in - maybe it was supposed to be a backup at that moment. Any good stills or pics would be fantastic of course :)

Regards,

VintageCharlie

Trick

Reaction score
Can someone fill me in on the whole "Black Flag" Thing? what does this mean? On the other note, yes I always thought Hendrix's tone at Monterey was a bit muddy.

Purplexi

Reaction score
Well, this thread was never meant to be an argument about what amp Hendrix was playing at Monterey but you're resident 45/100 guy seems to have determined that what has been accepted in the field is incorrect, and in doing so helped me determine the answer to my original query: That Jimi in fact DID run the original single output JTM 100 along with possibly a JTM 5C("Black Flag") up until Woodstock. Then, adding 68 JMP SLP's right through "Band Of Gypsies" until his final set up of 68/69 JMP SLP's seen at "Rainbow Bridge", or something close to that. Just trying to get an historical picture of what he was really using throughout his career. At least this topic isn't so hard to solve, over at the Metro Amp forum they have a 21 page argument over Jimi's supposed use of El34's vs. 6550's for his Band Of Gypsies perfomance.The Jimi Hendrix Experience | Popular Culture & Entertainment Auction</li> | equipment, Memorabilia | Christie's

spiritdave

Reaction score
Anyone ever wonder what the hell Hendrix would be coming out with if he were still alive today? Wow ... imagine it.

The new album was pretty awesome!

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
In one of the latest interviews Jimi gave just days before his death he talked about wanting to move away from the power trio and into a 5 piece band with a lead singer. In addition he expressed interest in a new musical direction as well stating that what the "new" bands like Cactus & Mountain are doing has all been done. Then he talked about watching the Sun Rise From the Bottom of the Sea and Oceans of Mercury.

David

Purplexi

Reaction score
Anyone ever wonder what the hell Hendrix would be coming out with if he were still alive today? Wow ... imagine it.

The new album was pretty awesome!
I love the single "Valley's Of Neptune"...like hearing him greet us from beyond. technically challenging, brilliant, mystical. Even from the grave he continues to influence.

In one of the latest interviews Jimi gave just days before his death he talked about wanting to move away from the power trio and into a 5 piece band with a lead singer. In addition he expressed interest in a new musical direction as well stating that what the "new" bands like Cactus & Mountain are doing has all been done. Then he talked about watching the Sun Rise From the Bottom of the Sea and Oceans of Mercury.

David
He probably meant that literally!

Marshallhead

Reaction score
Purplexi, I had a look through some of my books, and I have a pic of Jimi in France where he has two stacks connected by a Y cord, left stack is the Dickinson/Monterey amp, you can see the broken plexi under the inputs, right hand one is a Black Flag or JMP atop Sound City cabs, so we have proof he played through both at one time. The Dickinson/Monterey amp had GEC KT66s when Rich got it, and there's no reason to believe that Jimi didn't use it with those, plus the other amp would have come with EL34's.

guitarman8

Reaction score
Oh, do go on... please?? Just any old thing you might recall on that subject...:hippie:

Early Jimmy was great he was all over the place later in the band of gypsys he just stood there, looked a little depressed. Still he played very well Machine Gun was real interesting.

Maybe that crack by Dick Cavet about gimmicks got to him. :)

I used a 68 super lead 100 full stack with a Gibson 60's fuzz tone and we covered, Purple haze, foxy lady, if 6 were 9, you got me floatin, voodoo child and others. Had a ball figuring out all Jimi's lead idea's.

I just saw Eric Johnson at a Hendrix Tribute show, 1st row seats and Julia Roberts sat a few seats away (pretty girl). Eric did Are you experienced and did it very well. Satriani was there plus kenny wayne sheppard, johnny lang. Eric Johnson was the best for me.

Latest posts