Dime that Mid knob!

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Just a little observation I made.

Been playing and loving my Jubilee Halfstack for almost half a year now, both at rehearsal and live.

Have a new Telecaster I've been using with a higher gain rail pickup. I noticed that whilst the guitar sounds very crunchy and tight, it drowns a bit in the mix with the band.

So I fiddled around with my EQ settings on the Jube yesterday and ended up with the mid knob on 7,5! Sounded amazing and I could hear myself just fine again :)

Remember folks, mids are your friend, especially in a live setting with the band!

goldtop0

Reaction score

Been playing and loving my Jubilee Halfstack for almost half a year now, both at rehearsal and live.

Have a new Telecaster I've been using with a higher gain rail pickup. I noticed that whilst the guitar sounds very crunchy and tight, it drowns a bit in the mix with the band.

So I fiddled around with my EQ settings on the Jube yesterday and ended up with the mid knob on 7,5! Sounded amazing and I could hear myself just fine again :)

Remember folks, mids are your friend, especially in a live setting with the band!

With my HW and Studio Marshalls I have the Middle knob on 10, that's pretty much essential on the JTM45 as I found many moons ago and that worked through the rest of the amps as I acquired them over the decades. The Bass in most cases is at around 1-2 except on the SV20 where it's on 10.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, if you want to get really technical, the knobs don't "turn up" anything. When less than open all the way, they are cutting signal. My philosophy is to turn them all up, and then cut what I feel is necessary to cut for the tone I'm after.

Not trying to be a jerk, or syntax nazi. Just possibly a different way to look at it.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score

Couldn't agree more! You can actually dime the midrange and cut through just fine. It sounds terrible when you're not playing with the band, but in a rehearsal or live setting, it's a must. Rock on!

nix_gibby

Reaction score

Use the presence as well! Nice balance between the mids and presence is crucial for live sound.

Last edited:

GuitarIV

Reaction score
At first I was puzzled about diming the mids on a Jube through V30 family speakers. But then I saw it was in the context of a rail pickup in a tele. That makes sense.

It might be my speaker cabinets fault, it's a straight one and shooting the sound at my feet. With my angled Jubilee cab I had no troubles cutting live on stage.

Right now I have the mids on my sc20h at about 7.5, I had it at 10 prior to that. No particular reason for changing it.

Oh, and @TXOldRedRocker makes valid points, it’s cutting frequencies.

Where did you have the mids set at prior to the change @GuitarIV

My mids are usually at around 6. Had to bump em up slightly. Still sounds great!

Use the presence as well! Nice balance between the mids and presence is crucial for live sound.

I found that the presence on the Jube is the real way to dial in the high end, with the treble knob it gets spikey real fast. The presence control works much better :)

Here's a clip from a gig with the Jubilee Halfstack and a Telecaster with the rail pickup:

Sound on stage was great and we got compliments on the mix. So I might be selling my straight cab and just switch to an angled one

El Gringo

Reaction score

On my 2555X's I always have the mid on 7 and I love it .

GuitarIV

Reaction score
On my 2555X's I always have the mid on 7 and I love it .

I also find that Mid at 6.5 on the 2555x is equal to 5 on the 2203, and above 7 it's honk city, so one needs to be careful with the mid control on the 2555.

I think it depends a lot on the speaker. An overly mid heavy speaker like a green or creamback ill dial her down to 7ish. But the more the merrier feasibility. Love that cocked wah territory

Been tinkering a bit more with it yesterday at rehearsal and set the mids to 7 on the dial. This seems to be the sweet spot and it works perfectly in the mix without sounding too nasal!

Also very important: gain control not higher than 4,5 and a boost in front.

My other guitar player hates me cause my sound cuts so well :lol:

Bull Rock

Reaction score
Yeah live band sound differs from at home sound for sure. Mids are your friend live. I had a evh first gen lbx and it was suggested to dime all controls. I balked at it but ended up trying it and it was absolutely glorious setting all the frequencies through unthrottled like what
@TXOldRedRocker said.
Nice gig sound. Definitely cutting through 👍

GuitarIV

Reaction score
What happens if you set the gain above 4.5?

The sound can get too dark.

There is no specific point on the dial but I noticed the sound of the Jubilee is perfectly balanced between bright and agressive and the saturation somewhere at that setting, when you add a boost in front.

Like with every Marshall you have a bright cap on your gain control which gets disengaged progressively the further you turn it up.

This means that if you have your gain set too high you lose definition, the low end can start to get flubby and the amp starts sounding quite dark which can make it hard to be heard in a mix.

In general: less gain, less bass, more mids and a healthy amount of high end: you'll have a clear cutting sound that fits in with your drummer and your bassist cause you're not occupying the same frequencies. The guitar sits in the midrange.

So for me personally I found that when I have my gain control (or Lead Master as they call it on the Jube) set between 4 and 5, I just have to add a boost in front and a guitar with a medium output pickup and then I have enough cut with plenty of gain as the amp stays articulate. There's still some bright cap involved :)

Last edited:

Latest posts