discussion about implementing a healthier diet

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
I'm 49 (will be 50 in December), and lately, as I've gotten older, I've really been thinking a lot about my overall physical health.

within the past few years, I've been making some small changes to my diet and have been doing my best to stay active and to go to the gym every other day. I've eliminated all alcohol, have been eating less carbs & sugar, been trying to have smaller portions of my meals, been drinking more water, and have been eating more fruits & veggies.

I've been giving some thought to making an additional change - eliminating all red meat... I've considered possibly going vegan or at least vegetarian, but I think that would be too hard on me, so I figured the next best thing would be: no red meat... my question that I'd like to pose is - is there anyone here that have done that? if so, what were your experiences? I'm aware of all the health benefits of quitting red meat, but I still wanted to get some input from people who are omnivores that have actually done it. what biological changes have you noticed? it will be a bit of a challenge for me, since I have a wife and two kids, and in some instances it might be difficult since I don't expect them to go along with me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
I'm 40yo and I'm a vegetarian since 2020 all I can say is: it will depend on several factors, not in a particular order.

1) Go visit a nutrologist or any doctor related to eating habits, in Brazil we call them nutrologists (again MDs who can build you a eating plan, ask for blood screens, prescribe hormones if needed, no nutrictonists - MDs). Ask for macro and micronutrient balanced plan.
2) it will be easy cutting, or reducing red meat,if you like the lifestyle suits your habits, you can take other meats out from your diet. I'm a vegetarian 95% of my time, but shrimps makes me happy and I like eating shrimp once or twice a month. I have no ideology on eating animals, so fuck that and let us be happy.
3) follow the changes your doctor will prescribe. most of people stop eating meat and doesn't put enough protein to keep your organism in a good shape
4) at 50 go to your gym and start lifiting weights, you will need muscles when you are older
5) if by eating the proper amount of protein and lifting weights you are not building up lean mass, please consider a hormonal therapy.
6) having as much muscle as you can will make your life a lot easier in 10 to 20 years and also reduce a lot osteoporosis risk

finally, I can live without meat well, there are nice plant based burgers - and that was my favorite red meat dish. Regarding pasta, I really like traditional pomodoro pasta so no worries for me. Do not be super straight, if you want to eat red meat once in a while, no worries, but reducing red meat will be good for a lot of things, such as cholesterol levels, inflamation levels, getting fatter and your digestion will be as a breeze.

anitoli

Reaction score
Food in current times has no where near the nutritional quality that it did 20-30 years ago. Pesticides, GMO's, Chemtrails blocking out the sun ( and doing whatever else) has greatly degraded what we eat. Finding high quality food will be pricey and depending where one is potentially difficult.
Best of luck to you.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
I stopped eating red meat about 20 years ago,
I moved into a Buddhist house and they had a no meat rule.
I still eat fish because the evidence it is good for you is overwhelming,
in particular the oils are very good for the brain and joints, which are my main concerns.
No meat is not an issue for me,
there were a couple of times when my mother was dying and she served meat and I ate it to avoid offending her but in general I just dont want it.

My advice is switch to foods that you like and cook your own, if you do eat meat once a week its not a problem,
dont stress about it because when we fight the mind it fights back harder.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Biological changes are hard to isolate.
From my experience going meatless was easy, because I was doing it as part of a community and I had a reason.
But in the years after it I was not particularly healthy, because I had a high stress lifestyle living in London.
Also I was regularly lifting weights in the gym, so I wanted a high protein diet, so I ate a lot of soya, peanuts and dairy that I now avoid.
The biggest improvement in my health happened when I stopped eating sugar and carbs and started intermittent fasting.
Over about a year I lost 10 kilos and my mental clarity, memory and alertness improved by a huge amount.

nortiks

Reaction score
Everyone is different, but for me eliminating gluten was the key to massively improved health. After researching I think it might not actually be the gluten itself that is causing me problems, but rather the pesticides, genetic makeup, etc. associated with domestic (US) wheat that are the problem. I've seen many reports of people that can't tolerate domestic (US) wheat products that do fine on wheat products sourced from other parts of the world. And I may try that myself at some point, but tbh after using gluten free alternatives for over a year I no longer care for the taste and texture of gluten containing products, so at this point not a high priority to try. A big gigantic YMMV on this one, but it has been transformative in my case. It did take a few weeks to realize the benefits and at this point if I eat a single meal containing domestic wheat I feel bad for several days.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I very very rarely eat red meat. Probably once this year so far. I still eat fish and poultry. No sugar, not a lot of carbs apart from bananas.
When I was younger - I`m in my 60s - I was a bit of an athlete. Medal winning mountain biker, UK national silver medalist in speedskating. I could get lazy, do nothing for a while then jump back on my bike and I'd get back into it quickly and rapidly notice weight loss and improved fitness. I'm just doing that right now and it's taking a long while to have an affect and the extra pounds that snuck on over winter are determined not to go. They did tell me this would happen but I was immortal and I didn't believe them...

Nadir

Reaction score
My suggestion is:
DIY is not for health.
Go to a medic specialized in diets and food. He will give you the best diet fit for you and your body.

cccc

Reaction score
If more people had a clue what the WEF psychopaths have done to the worlds food supply there would be a lot more outrage.

They are absolutely obsessed with population reduction , they should all be doing life in prison.

EndGame00

Reaction score
My suggestion is:
DIY is not for health.
Go to a medic specialized in diets and food. He will give you the best diet fit for you and your body.
Yep. Consult with a dietician/nutritionist before making any drastic diet or lifestyle change...

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
I went on a diet a while back that helped my hearing and arthritis. It's basically smaller amps and lighter strings with a limited number of pedals. I seem to poop a little better and I am much quicker to flip people off in traffic. Now if my wife could just lose that big fat butt. Damn.. She had 90 pound mole removed from her ass on Monday and lately I don't know whether to hose her down or feed her peanuts?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
-No beer.
-No sugar.
-Don't eat anything white - substitute with brown, I'm talking bread, rice, pasta.
-Eat lots of fiber - fruits and vegetables.

I lost a bunch of weight doing this and I feel better overall. My biggest problem is beer, I LOVE beer, so I'm back on it a little but much less than before, plus I'm making my own too.

nortiks

Reaction score
My suggestion is:
DIY is not for health.
In theory yes. In real life, not so much ime.

I had to diagnose my kid's medical/diet issue and then convince the doc to test for it. It was the sole test to come back positive. Good on him for being willing to test for it despite saying "yes it fits, but only a 1% chance of that". If I stayed out of it maybe he would have finally gotten it months and visits later, but maybe not.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I was vegetarian for many years in my younger days. More recently I have done some of the things already mentioned: no gluten, less sugar, less carbs, less processed foods, etc..

IMO- the hardest part is just making new habits. As someone said cost might be an issue at least until you figure it out.
Supposedly grass fed beef is healthier. If you get the craving maybe opt for that.

Gutch220

Reaction score
I think red meat in moderation is fine. Cutting out sugar by like 95% will make the biggest difference by far. Not drinking alcohol is a plus. Try intermittent fasting and eating only small meals.
One thing to do is rewire your brain to be OK being hungry. For example, you don't always need to be 100% full. So when you get down to 90% you don't need to eat again. Instead, when you get down to about 30% eat until you're 60% full. Also, don't eat snacks, and don't pick little bites of food throughout the day. This picking will add up to full meals secretly.
No/minimal sugar, no alcohol, no snacks, no overly processed food. I call it the 1700's diet because you should eat like people did in the 1700's. Humans were not poisoned by added sugars those days. We humans eat WAY too much sugar.

aikiguy

Reaction score
I’m 56 and recently found that my cholesterol has been sneaking up on me. I’m a pretty active dude, walking every day usually, and Judo a few times a week. None of this seemed to make a difference. I basically cut out red meat and have gotten rid of ice cream and other treats, which was a real problem for me, I could eat it every day! lol.

In July I’ll be getting blood work done again and seeing my doctor, and I’m hoping for an improvement. Currently I have a 25% chance of having a heart attack, and my heart health is that of a 72 year old, so I do hope these changes have helped.

In addition to cutting out the red meat and sweet stuff, I’m eating really high fibre. The change I notice here is that I need to go to the bathroom quite a bit more frequently. I feel good, though.

My blood pressure was at 145/90 at my last visit. He wants me to work towards 135/85, I did better than that the last time I checked.

My advice is to make the changes… it’s far easier to do now, than later.

Good luck.

V-man

Reaction score
Increase in veg is a positive for most anybody.

Veganism OTOH is not healthy (longterm - absolutely not “raw vegan” diets). More Veg is great, as is cutting cholesterol. The problem is it requires an act of congress to get healthy (unprocessed/min-processed) protein in sufficient quantities. Legumes are life and death… beans and peas (protein derivatives). None of that is on the table for raw vegans. If you want to lose weight and do minimal exercise, a vegan diet can work well, but not happening with strenuous exercise unless you are using supplements nutritionist, etc.

Eggs, egg whites, fish and beans are great healthy protein. Adding these with higher vegetable diets (Mediterranean, pescatarian, Pesc. + eggs) are miles anead of veganism.

Second point. You are getting weak and losing your virility as you march on to old age. This is the last chance getting a part-time job to put gains in the bank. You are not going to bounce back in strength training in your mid-60s. Put up a good bank of strength (+/- Tes. When the time comes) and live as best you can on your “fixed income” of strength through your 60s-70s, maintaining weights at the gym. Veganism and more extreme practices largely takes that off the table.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just go 100% organic / free range / grass fed / pasture raised / locally farmed with minimal pesticides, and eat large amounts of mixed greens with every meal. People who make it to 80 yrs or more, have eaten a full variety of healthy foods, and less of it altogether; the less food you consume and still survive, the longer your organs last before they get rusty.

Also, an abundance of fresh clean oxygen and daily exercise goes a long way as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts