Do you have a shop?

• Thread starter What?
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What?

Reaction score
I spent the morning replacing ball joints on the girlfriend's car and then did a couple of minor things to my truck, which required clearing engine codes and going for a test drive. I got 15 miles away on the test drive, and a big storm came out of almost nowhere. I had left 2 full tool boxes sitting wide open in the driveway. And of course I didn't check the weather this morning. I called the girlfriend to see if the storm had made it there yet, and of course it had. 3 hours after getting back home I had all the tools and 2 boxes dried as well as I could and sitting under a fan to dry up any hidden water in crevices.

A man needs a shop, for work and play.

gtpvfr

Reaction score
I wish, but my friend does have a nice lift in a well lit and heated garage but he barely has any useable tools. I used to be a shade tree mechanic, until I gave into my girlfriend's bitchin and cut the thing down last fall. Ironically, got some sunburn yesterday replacing her front brakes and doing some custom exhaust wiring. I decided to just do the shoulder crawl on hot concrete and not dig out the creeper past my truck. I do have a motorcycle lift in the garage that my truck straddles that can double as a workbench. I ordered a shed a couple of days ago to finally get some stuff out of the garage to at least have a spot to set something down, besides on top of one of the toolboxes. Apparently I've been spending too much time and money on guitar gear.... bahaha!

Crikey

Reaction score
I spent the morning replacing ball joints on the girlfriend's car and then did a couple of minor things to my truck, which required clearing engine codes and going for a test drive. I got 15 miles away on the test drive, and a big storm came out of almost nowhere. I had left 2 full tool boxes sitting wide open in the driveway. And of course I didn't check the weather this morning. I called the girlfriend to see if the storm had made it there yet, and of course it had. 3 hours after getting back home I had all the tools and 2 boxes dried as well as I could and sitting under a fan to dry up any hidden water in crevices.

A man needs a shop, for work and play.
Not yet but i wrench on all my cars. Have that happen a lot

What?

Reaction score
That's the dream, after a couple more years paying off my place. A shop for wrenching on things, a little wood work, a drum kit always set up in the corner along with all the other jam room stuff. 1 bay for working on things, 1 bay for playing on things.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Never been a fan of working on cars, but I did use to do all my own maintenance before back and neck issues stopped me in my tracks and I just can't do it anymore.

I would love to have a wood shop though and someday hopefully I will. As long as I can work on a bench I'm good, but I can't crawl around on the floor or lean under the hood anymore.

Frodebro

Reaction score
I have a wood shop that has been slowly growing over the past 15 years or so, and I'm just about where I want to be as far as tools go. The only major things I have left on the list are a good sized jointer and a bigger bandsaw (I have a 10" Rikon that has actually been fairly sufficient for most of my needs).

As far as wrenching, I have a two car garage that is sufficient for whatever I need to do.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
When I quit wrenching I brought my toolbox home and put it in the two car garage. No lift and I don't even own a compressor so all air tools have been sitting for 7 years or so. I still change my oil but the last repair I did was rear brakes. Rotors were seized to hubs and with my bad back working from the ground sucked.
Have thought of selling my tools but still think maybe someday I'll buy some kind of cheap classic or something just for fun.

Last edited:

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Garage .

I dream of a 50'x50' manspace, though it would never be big enough.

Just like trailers, I always need them slightly bigger.

Deftone

Reaction score
2 car garage. Eight motorcycles in there now.
Resized_20210201_181029.jpeg
We have a spot leveled for another 12x24 garage. The plan is to move the bikes and the side by side into the new garage then I can have more workspace. I'm a former Mechanic and a Machinist so I have four roll away tool boxes. I just bought a 3/4 size Milling machine, gonna get a lathe too and some welding equip.

My new (to me) Mill....

01212_cCo66XPGPXi_0hr0CI_1200x900.jpg

Redheadlvr

Reaction score
Had a single car garage in my last house. No compressor so it was hand tools for everything. Floor jack and jack stands.
When I was a professional mechanic the boss let us do work on our personal vehicles.
House I'm in now consists of a gravel driveway,no garage. The only thing I could do was oil changes or light stuff like filter changes,bulb changes,etc.
Now I'm medically retired -physically-so I can't do much of anything. Now my huge box of tools are just sitting in my basement.

Kendall124

Reaction score
20x20 detached garage. Half is for my Nissan, the other is for everything else. Lots of crap on the walls. Man cave-ish. Keeps me from making the rest of the house look like an 18 year olds bedroom. Plenty for my needs.
IMG_1719.jpeg
IMG_1720.jpeg