Does the quest for Tone ever end?

• Thread starter ricksteruk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ricksteruk

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I'd got my rig sounding perfect.

Then I went out and gigged in a new venue and it wasn't sounding right - it made me question everything....

So.... Does the quest ever end?

dsn716

Reaction score
Nope, it never ends. I've said this before... You fiddle and fvck with it. You buy stuff, you sell stuff, and buy more stuff. You drive yourself nuts. Then, one day, you find it. THE perfect tone. At that moment, the planets align and all is right with your world. Then, a few weeks or months later, for one reason or another, that perfect tone is somewhat less than perfect, and it starts all over again.

Rodney

Reaction score
I am starting to learn be happy with what you have and learn to enjoy it , I'm sick of wasting money on gear , I now have a great amp , 3 great guitars and a cupboard full of pedals that I don't use , my effects now consist of a TC G System IB Modified and a nova drive, if I cant get a decent sound from that then what., also test drive your new gear with other musicians, where possible of course as tone changes from being on your own to jamming with others.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I am happy to report that in fact it can. I am a major tone freak (freq). In addition I am fortunate enough to have taken the time to start studying circuits and been graced with some pretty cool lessons from a couple great techs/engineers. In the end I have found my tone by building my own version of a Cameron/Friedman circuit.

Just used it live this week end and never turned on my stock or Cameron Marshall's on.

I'm sure I will continue to evolve but not chasing at the rate I had over the past 42 years of playing.

I also would like to add that there are those who like to point out don't worry about it as pro's etc.. can't always choose their backline...but I play for pleasure not because I need to and a huge part of the pleasure is hearing the roar of a well balanced analog tube amp tuned to my ear.

Examples below.

My $.02 David ♫

My modded circuit, Plexi converted 2204 straight in.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGoS5u8wSlg]Marshall Modded Plexi Complete - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf295SWLDP4]Eighteen - YouTube[/ame]

roycaster

Reaction score
For me the quest for tone ended some time ago. But like the man sang, I just can’t be satisfied. I still have some fine tuning to do, but I don’t see any more big changes in gear. I’ve been around too many neurotic guitar players that obsessed about their tone; I promised myself I would never join them…

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I'd got my rig sounding perfect.

Then I went out and gigged in a new venue and it wasn't sounding right - it made me question everything....

So.... Does the quest ever end?

"gigged in a new venue and it wasn't sounding right"
-there's your answer and there's a lot of variables in that.

same goes for the house,studio,or wherever else you may play regularly.
even in your room you can move or change the amp's direction by just a couple of feet or even stand in a different spot & to your ears it'll be different & make you think your sound is off that day.

then the GAS/OCD kicks in telling you ya need to go gear shopping.
it's only natural.
:yesway:

wakjob

Reaction score
It only ends when you have that moment of clarity and realize that after all the money spent and gear changes made, you're still a crappy guitarist.

A crappy guitarist because you spent all your time chasing and not practicing.

Gear is wonderful hobby.
Just make sure you're getting in proper playing time... tone be damned!

metromutt

Reaction score
I remember reading an article, or something, where Billy Sheehan said it took him about 1000 gigs with a new amp before he got comfortable dialing a tone that fitted the venue.

Once I start to fiddle with my settings I'm knackered, yet the odd thing is if you forget it and concentrate on your playing yours ears get use to the sound that irked you first time off... weird things ears:scratch:

JimiRules

Reaction score
The quest for the perfect tone is much like the quest for the perfect piece of ass. Once you think you have it, it's not long before you end up coming across something just a little bit better.

Ed Hunter

Reaction score
To answer the thread question for me NO the tone quest will never end and i have a simple reason for that.
Some days i love my tone and it sounds smokin great and other days even with the SAME EXACT RIG/SETTINGS it does not sound good at all?
I blame this on the tone gods having a good laugh at my expense!:D

jreldmyr

Reaction score
....the tone quest never ends....and the moment you think you've attained it the next day it's lost....:slash::slash::shred::scratch::shred::scratch::shred::ugh::ugh::mad:

....plus when we think we've attained it, others disagree....no, no, no!
....let ME show you how to do it.

So who has attained that magical glassy tone....Clapton, Knopfler, Slash....

....every time I buy something new....guitar, amp or pedal....I think....this will finally give me the tone I've been searching for....

....usually that feeling doesn't last more then a couple days then it's back to the Sweetwater catalog.....hmmmmmmm....what to buy next?:slash::shred::cool:

mott555

Reaction score
My quest for tone recently came to an end, just a couple months ago. It wrapped up when Hot Tubes modded my SD-1, I put together a Fuzz Face clone, and bought a Mesa Mark III to stand next to my JMP 2204. In all honesty I can't think of anything I'd add to my collection, it's literally perfect for me.

Mike_j

Reaction score
Never really ends. I was very happy with my DSL and pedal setup and then I bought a Fender digital modelling amp for using at home. Surprised at how great it sounds and even more surprised I can use it with my band. Fvcking scarey man.

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Moose Hut Studio - Amherst, VA 24521 - USA
Once you find YOUR sound, yes it can. Then it's a matter of adjusting for the environment of each venue or studio.

I think the main issue is deciding what you really want your sound and response to be.
If you can't, the quest for tone ends here:
xljytz.jpg

:cheers: Cheers

Latest posts