DSL 100H almost no volume on 8 ohm outs and channel switching quit working.

• Thread starter djpj1977
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpj1977

Reaction score
I bought a used DSL 100H from musician's friend in 'great' condition. The first time I plugged in both my cabs (using both '8 ohm' outs) I got basically no volume. I could hear a very faint signal but it was as close to no volume as you can get. Playing with all the control knobs, disabling the FX loop, and plugging directly in did nothing. Also the channel switching was disabled. I switched to the single 16 ohm out and all was fine. Since then I've been using the 2- 8 ohm outs without problem until yesterday. The last time I played it was at band practice where I use a 4x12 and the single 16 ohm out. Yesterday was the first time I've plugged it in since practice and got the condition again. Same thing, I switched to the single 16 ohm out and everything was fine. I've read on the forums that these amps can have a problem with the ground bypass switch for the 2- 8 ohm outs. Would this also cause the no channel switching condition? Or any other ideas what's going on?

I'm pretty sure I could return this on MF's dime, but if it's an easy fix I'm competent enough to open it up and repair it. Thanks

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
There are 3 different types of DSLs and Marshall didn't make it very easy to decipher. Which version do you actually have?

How many knobs does it have, 10, 11, or 13?

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Ok, so my understanding is that the speaker ground issue was resolved by then. I took the speaker jacks/board out of mine and tested for continuity between the grounds on the jacks with or without cables inserted and there is continuity. So I believe it's been fixed on these.

These and the new hR versions don't have the bias drift issue so you don't need to worry about that.

If you have enough time before the return period I'd try to clean all of the jacks with deoxit or similar contact cleaner. Edit: Make sure that the amp is not plugged into an outlet/power source! I've written more detailed instructions in my next post below.

Last edited:

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
I'm sorry that I wasn't as specific as I should've been in my last post.

If you do decide to clean the jacks with deoxit or similar, make sure the amp is not plugged into an outlet/power source.

Spray some contact cleaner in the jack and spray some onto a cable end and run it in and out of the jack a dozen times. Once you've done that, do it again.

After that I always let it dry for an hour or so before I power up and see if the problem has been fixed.

If that doesn't fix it then I personally would exchange it but that decision is up to you.

djpj1977

Reaction score
I'm sorry that I wasn't as specific as I should've been in my last post.

If you do decide to clean the jacks with deoxit or similar, make sure the amp is not plugged into an outlet/power source.

Spray some contact cleaner in the jack and spray some onto a cable end and run it in and out of the jack a dozen times. Once you've done that, do it again.

After that I always let it dry for an hour or so before I power up and see if the problem has been fixed.

If that doesn't fix it then I personally would exchange it but that decision is up to you.
OK, thanks. I thought the output ground switch issue was on these too but after looking around again it seems your right. I'll try cleaning the outputs. I'm not sure how the channel switching being disabled is tied to the no sound condition, but that should be a good clue. I saw one guy posted about the same problem and he said that replacing a bad preamp tube fixed it. Is that possible? Not sure I trust that anecdote because the problem is intermittent (about 10 days between when I saw it) and he may have not reported back if it happened again.

I may just send it back. It may turn out to be an easy fix, but without having a good idea what the problem is I could have to wait weeks or months until I'm convinced it's actually fixed.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I thought the output ground switch issue was on these too but after looking around again it seems your right. I'll try cleaning the outputs. I'm not sure how the channel switching being disabled is tied to the no sound condition, but that should be a good clue. I saw one guy posted about the same problem and he said that replacing a bad preamp tube fixed it. Is that possible? Not sure I trust that anecdote because the problem is intermittent (about 10 days between when I saw it) and he may have not reported back if it happened again.

I may just send it back. It may turn out to be an easy fix, but without having a good idea what the problem is I could have to wait weeks or months until I'm convinced it's actually fixed.
Not sure about the pre amp tube idea.

I agree with your comment about the time frame to be convinced that it's fixed and I'd probably just exchange it too if you're getting close to the end of the return period.

Hopefully someone else will come along soon with better advice.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the little brother’s Dsl40c’s, but I have not had any of the problems you are dealing with.. I would return it for a replacement or they fix the issues with it.
Sorry I am of no help here.

Mitch

djpj1977

Reaction score
I have a DSL 100H made is 2014 and have not have had the issue you described.. Have tried toggling the effects loop button on and off?
Yeah I tried that while the problem was happening.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
The DSL100H can develop a problem with an
ic and or a diode, which are parts of the channel switching system. If i remember correctly this was a specially programmed chip, therefore only available from Marshall directly.

There was a workaround for the problem which
solved the locking of the channels for atleast 1
guy, because he changed the chip and the diode
but the problem re-appeared. Something probably
underspecd, maybe heatrelated or faulty program.

This could be part of your amps problem.

Cheers.

Last edited:

djpj1977

Reaction score
The DSL100H can develop a problem with an
ic and or a diode, which are parts of the channel switching system. If i remember correctly this was a specially programmed chip, therefore only available from Marshall directly.

There was a workaround for the problem which
solved the locking of the channels for atleast 1
guy, because he changed the chip and the diode
but the problem re-appeared. Something probably
underspecd, maybe heatrelated or faulty program.

This could be part of your amps problem.

Cheers.
This is making the most sense to me. I was looking at the schematic last night and it seems there's no way a problem in the output could cause the channel switching problem. I think it has to be the other way around. I think I'm just going to arrange a return tomorrow. Sucks because it was a good deal that will be hard to find again. This is the second Marshall tube amp I've owned (other being a DSL40) and both have had problems right out of the gate. The DSL40 had pots fail on multiple occasions. Do you know, are cheap or underspecced components a concern on higher end current production Marshalls? Or what brand/line would you look at for a Marshall clone that is well built and specced? I was looking at a Friedman BE50 Deluxe, but bought this DSL 100H to hold me over til it makes more sense to spend $3,000+ on an amp.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
I think its a shame too, i was shortly interested
in buying a DSL100H model, mostly because i
had couple of very good offers and its always
exciting to try something new.

Since you asked for my opinion, i spent way too
much time buying amps that were close to what
i really wanted. If i could do it over again i
would save up or wait for the right deal to come
along and get the amp that satisfies your need.

In my case its a handwired Superlead, if you like
Friedman i think you should get the Friedman.:yesway:

djpj1977

Reaction score
Solid advice. I mean I think the sound of the DSL 100 is great, just not impressed with the reliability of these China built Marshalls. It might be time to take the plunge.