DSL 40 volume drop from Crunch to Clean

caper

Reaction score
Hi guys. I can easily balance the volume from 1 of the clean channels, to the overdrive no problem, and then use the foot switch to toggle back and forth. However, if I set up say the "Crunch" mode of the clean channel, and then later need to use the "Clean" mode, there is a massive volume drop, so when playing live, it's supper annoying to have to mess with the volume knob to get things equal again, especially when the volumes and channels are all set up during the sound check (don't want to really be messing with your amp volume after that).
So if I change from Crunch to Clean on the clean channel, I would have to crank the volume knob up quite a lot in order to have the same output as the Crunch was. Obviously the reverse it true...after switching back to Crunch, there is going to be a MASSIVE volume increase. (I also have my amp mic'd for performances)

How do you all deal with this issue? Thanks.

WiderGates

Reaction score
Hello,
so I think you have the older DSL40C not the newer DSL40CR.
With the DSL40CR you have two separate master volumes you can switch.
The amp even remembers which master volume you have used the last time for each of the 4 modes/channels.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
@caper
This totally normal.
One of the work arounds is to use your volume knob on the guitar in the crunch mode.

If it is a Dsl40c an not the CR version of the amp.

Cheers
Mitch

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
So, 40C or 40CR?
Has the amp got Master Volumes 1 & 2 at the right end of the front panel? If so, it's a 40CR.

You mention a 'live' setting.
Do you use this amp live?
To get between the Clean and Crunch would either require walking back to the amps front panel, or using the 6-button footswitch (40CR only).

If you have a 40C, then the simplest option would be an OD pedal used in conjunction with the Clean channel.

If you have the 40CR, set the Clean volume with MV1, and the other three modes with MV2.

Another solution for the 40CR is a multi-effect in 4CM, with MIDI switching.
You could set the Clean patch level in the multi-effect to balance with the other three modes.
This last method is the one I use with my DSL40CR.