DSL 401 Power Tube Size Question

• Thread starter emejia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

emejia

Reaction score
Just bought a crazy mint DSL 401. So mint, the EL84 power tubes are Marshall labeled and dated to the year of amp manufacture (49th week of 2003). Will change the tubes, but I've read only some will fit earlier models of this amp. Any experience out there with power tubes that proved too big in diameter, or that actually did fit? Thanks!

emejia

Reaction score
Why change them, is the amp faulty?
The Sovtek EL84M or 7189s have a slightly larger diameter and too tight to fit.
Most cheapo JJs or normal EL84/6BQ5s will fit.
Good question, reconsidering it, I probably won't change them until they develop a fault. But, given the rising cost of tubes/valves, I may order a quad of spares. And thanks for the info, I was thinking JJs are the way to go - don't want to spend more on the tubes than I did on the amp. BTW, had to look up the location of the Jurassic Coast - lived in Fairford for three years, surprised I haven't been there.

JohnH

Reaction score
My one is from 2005, and when I replaced the power tubes I used JJ which fit, work and sound fine. Yours is a little older though, I dont know when this diameter issue applied though I think the first ones were 1999.

One thing I did find: I didn't like a JJ preamp tube in V1, it was noticeably duller sounding. My original stock preamp tubes were still fine so I put the V1 back.

But if the whole amp is in great shape, maybe it hasn't been run much. You could get many years out of it as it is.

How's the temperature? Some made the front panel so hot that you can't touch it, and temperature issues are generally the cause of various problems that affected this amp. But hopefilly yours may have served its time and proven to be a good one.

But they can sound great! particularly the green channel, pushed with your favourite OD pedal, which I much preferred over the built-in OD.

Jon Snell

Reaction score
Good question, reconsidering it, I probably won't change them until they develop a fault. But, given the rising cost of tubes/valves, I may order a quad of spares. And thanks for the info, I was thinking JJs are the way to go - don't want to spend more on the tubes than I did on the amp. BTW, had to look up the location of the Jurassic Coast - lived in Fairford for three years, surprised I haven't been there.
Fairford; beautiful town in the Cotswolds. I am on the South Coast, near Kimmerige where every type of stone or sand from anywhere in England can be found ... under the shail covered in oil.
Wonderful part of our World as well.