DSL 50 compared to jcm 800 2204

• Thread starter papa-seano
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

papa-seano

Reaction score
Hi guys, I own a JCM800 2204 and was wondering how it compares to the JCm dsl 50?
Ive heard it can replicate the jcm 800 on the 2nd channel?
I love blues and love early 90s grunge/post grunge music ( pearljam, silverchair etc ).
I hear gary moore used the 1st channel on green for most of his work over the last ten years with the addition of a ts10?
And pearljam used 800's on their album 10.
How close is the 2nd channel? Or does it sound more like a jcm900?

Comments please

Ken

Reaction score
DSL's have a lot more gain available than your 800. The green channel of a DSL is a similar sound to an 800, but it's not the same. I like both myself.

A 900 (I assume you mean the 4100) to my ear is more "brittle" sounding than either. They lack the depth of a DSL or an 800, and are best suited for commercials for American trucks, where you want an "electric guitar" sound that's in your face but not threatening.

Ken

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
DSL's have a lot more gain available than your 800. The green channel of a DSL is a similar sound to an 800, but it's not the same. I like both myself.

A 900 (I assume you mean the 4100) to my ear is more "brittle" sounding than either. They lack the depth of a DSL or an 800, and are best suited for commercials for American trucks, where you want an "electric guitar" sound that's in your face but not threatening.

Ken

+1. me too!:)

topcat 70

Reaction score
Hi guys, I own a JCM800 2204 and was wondering how it compares to the JCm dsl 50?
Ive heard it can replicate the jcm 800 on the 2nd channel?
I love blues and love early 90s grunge/post grunge music ( pearljam, silverchair etc ).
I hear gary moore used the 1st channel on green for most of his work over the last ten years with the addition of a ts10?
And pearljam used 800's on their album 10.
How close is the 2nd channel? Or does it sound more like a jcm900?

Comments please

Ive got both.The 800 has a brighter and more aggresive tone than you could ever get with a dsl.My take on it is if you want 1 spot on tone go for the 800.If you need more options clean/crunch etc go for the dsl!

Last edited:

dread1

Reaction score

Ken

Hahahaha! That's too great! Like a rock baby!!!!!

papa-seano

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys :)

And quality comments ken haha.

I also own a vintage modern so I have the flexibility of a nice crunch sound up to tight overdrive/distortion with great depth in comparison to the jcm 800.
Would it be a wasted load of money me purchasing a DSL50?

I like the idea of the deep switch and sometimes the extra gain would come in handy :) on ebay they are very reasonable too.

Ken

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys :)

And quality comments ken haha.

I also own a vintage modern so I have the flexibility of a nice crunch sound up to tight overdrive/distortion with great depth in comparison to the jcm 800.
Would it be a wasted load of money me purchasing a DSL50?

They only cost around $500 used, so they're cheap and easy to sell if you change your mind. The DSL gives much more variety than the amps you own, so you might use it almost exclusively. Or, you might just like the 800 or VM better and not use it at all. Some people find they don't like the gain of a DSL and prefer the 800 tone. I agree lots of times cleaner is better, but sometimes you also need lots of gain and that's what a DSL provides.

Ken

Latest posts