Dsl and vintage modern

• Thread starter Alowerdeep
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alowerdeep

Reaction score
Anyone ever have any luck getting a dsl to come close to matching high gain tones of the vintage modern?

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both. The DSL has more gain on it's Ultra Channel than the Vintage Modern in High Range, whether that extra gain is usable though is a matter of opinion. :cool:

Joe2000

Reaction score
Both amps have the 'Marshall' sound.

DSL is voiced similar to other Marshalls - JCM800, JVM, JCM900 etc...follows that line of amps.

Vintage Modern is very different. In my opinion you will struggle to get the DSL to sound like the Vintage Modern. The KT66's give that amp such a different feel.

dreyn77

Reaction score
You started off with an impossible task!
the whole point of ALL PRODUCT is to make the item perform the intended task of the maker.

they make a list of what they want the product to do and then they go about making the object do what they want it to do.

you come along and say you want the IMPOSSIBLE.

Sorry it's your idea and you stick with it. I'm not going to waste my life on that idea.

Marshall didn't tell you what the DSL did.
guys have spend a decade trying to workout what the sound actually was.

They told everybody what the VM did.
so that's it! game over! watch the video, cause that's all it does.

They told us all that they took the thing which they never told anybody (maybe they thought most of us were educated in hearing sounds, but most users have no idea what they're listening too) and then they built the VM around the old speakers.

Basicly they made the new sound with MORE 'bite' to each note across the fingerboard, and put it into the old speaker sound.

We're all suppose to know that the old sound from the old speakers was a dull burry note kinda sound. Low quality it was! ;)
The modern sound was clearer, sharper, better. :)

you'll notice that newer TV's sound is this way too.

You were ALL suppost to DUMP the old amp setup and play the Vintage Modern with it's crisper sound.
BUT once again the reputation out there ruined that situation from happening.
people are 'thickheads'. slow to grasp onto the latest and greatest item.

dreyn77

Reaction score
oh yeah, most of the sounds can sometimes seem real convincing.

I was convincing myself tonight playing a epiphone with DiMarzio's and a Solid State marshall amp jamming along to Ted Nugent Cat scratch fever. ;)
And AC/DC ballbreaker!

I was impressed by the sound. BUt I could hear there were some big differences in the comparison.
But that was all the hardwares fault, not my fault! ;)

Alowerdeep

Reaction score
They are cool for sure.....but I got a very similar tone from my dsl50 in the od1 setting so I sold it....the dsl has a better clean for switching as well,so I stuck with it.....but l liked it alot

67mike

Reaction score
Vm is a different beast. I will keep both the jcm2000 dsl and vm.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
They are cool for sure.....but I got a very similar tone from my dsl50 in the od1 setting so I sold it....the dsl has a better clean for switching as well,so I stuck with it.....but l liked it alot
:scratch:

The VM doesn't have a clean channel... :shrug:

Alowerdeep

Reaction score
I know it is a one channel amp.....hence the reason I kept the dsl.....I was able to tone match the vm with the dsl od1setting and since it had a nice clean channel to boot I sold the vintage modern and bought a budda

Latest posts