Dsl need help please

• Thread starter jaek
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaek

Reaction score
Got home today let the DSL warm up hit standby on and tried to play no sound. Took pedal board and cable and guitar out of equation. Sound DOES come out of speakers, just a gentle buzzing sound. Let cool off replaced V1 and V4 preamp tubes and checked the power tubes, nothing wrong with them other then they emit a clicking sound (but this isn't a new occurrence) Checked the OT and PT neither of them were even warm yet.....

Please help....

Frankie

Reaction score
Replace V2 and V3 with known good preamp tubes too. Your signal is passing through all of them, so if one of them is blown, no sound. Can you hear the speakers scratch a little when you move the presence knob? How did you check the power tubes?

jaek

Reaction score
Replace V2 and V3 with known good preamp tubes too. Your signal is passing through all of them, so if one of them is blown, no sound. Can you hear the speakers scratch a little when you move the presence knob? How did you check the power tubes?

Vula! Amp makes sound again! It was either V2 or V3......THANKS YOU FRANKIE

Frankie

Reaction score
Yesssssssssssss! Nailed it! I finally got one right, guys! :lol:

Glad it was an easy fix, sir.

jaek

Reaction score
Now to decide what tubes to replace it with...Any recommendations? in the 15 dollar per tube range?

Frankie

Reaction score
None here, I'm a vintage tube kinda guy so none of my suggestions will be in the $15 range.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Blech! JJ? Get some Tung Sol 12X7s or Mullard RI 12AX7s. JJs will dull your sound out. I really the Chinese tubes in Marshalls. They have great OD characteristics.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) Yep those 9th gen. Chinese are quite bright and tight. They work well in Modern Marshalls. Cheap too, around $10.00 or so a tube. Shauguangs.

:):) TWIN

jcmjmp

Reaction score
:) Yep those 9th gen. Chinese are quite bright and tight. They work well in Modern Marshalls. Cheap too, around $10.00 or so a tube. Shauguangs.

:):) TWIN

But they do have their limits. They won't make the JCM900DR sound any better.... Its a pity, really.

Frankie

Reaction score
I think those Chinese tubes were the first thing I took out of all of my newer amps. I think I have at least 7 of them collecting dust now.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
You don't want to go with cheap tubes in the DSL. My standard suggestion is:

V1-Tung-Sol Low Noise/High Gain
V2-Mullard RI High Gain
V3-Regular EH
V4-High Gain EH

All of these tubes are available from the Tube Depot (Memphis) or the Tube Store (Canada). The low noise option is $2 and the high gain is also $2. You're looking at about $60 for these tubes with the noted options.