DSL with Greenbacks?

• Thread starter Joe2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shredless

Reaction score
I didnt like it, but Im hating my whole rig at the moment...

but really, I thought the V30s and even T75s were better with mine

This is a very subjective matter

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved it! I play rock and didn't use it for modern high gain though. Great for blues, classic rock and hard rock for sure. I have a 412 loaded with GB's.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use their DSL with Greenbacks? Does it sound good? Any comments?

I like V30's with a greenbacks in a closed back X pattern but, with the DSL imo most any Celestion's alright. I do modern hi gain but, my taste in rigs other than pickups isn't as modern. I like to be able to coax a lively clean tone from my rig as well. I think from what i've used with my DSL i like the V30's the best and the 75's in 2x12's with it but, it is a matter of taste. greenbacks offer up a smooth rich tone which the DSL already does pretty well with and the 75's are tight and bright so they do well at hi volume and low tunings and the V30's are a nice middleground that cover a lot of territory so if i had to use one type of these three it'd be the V30's.

Esc

Reaction score
I just got my DSL MLB 100 and bought a 1960 classic cab w/ 25w Greenbacks and I think it is amazing. The smooth response of the Greenies with the DSL is a great combo. I have seen several mention the V30's/Greenback x-pattern is nice as well - want to give that a go eventually. IMHO the Greenbacks are nice in that they are a very versatile speaker matching the great versatility of the DSL.

Frankie

Reaction score
:) I Sincerely hope You are testing it out with that 335 Frankie....

:):) TWIN

Just the V and the Telecaster so far, but the ES-335 is coming to practice with me this week along with the new head. :dude:

Oh yeah, I've only tried it on the 30's, I've yet to try it on my 25 watt Greenies, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to rock like everything else I plug into those cabinets.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
Greenies are ok for some stuff but for some music, I find that they can lack definition.

Yep. That's a drawback to that early break-up that they have. They can get mushy.

Frankie's got the Cabs with the Heavy Duty Greenback "C"s in them though.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
Just the V and the Telecaster so far, but the ES-335 is coming to practice with me this week along with the new head. :dude:

Oh yeah, I've only tried it on the 30's, I've yet to try it on my 25 watt Greenies, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to rock like everything else I plug into those cabinets.

I forgot You had a "V". NICE.

tonefreak

Reaction score
mine sounds great with greenbacks

I've yet to open my cab up and see what the insides look like.
maybe this afternoon.

Frankie

Reaction score
Yep. That's a drawback to that early break-up that they have. They can get mushy.

Frankie's got the Cabs with the Heavy Duty Greenback "C"s in them though.

Are the C's heavy duty? I don't really know much about them other than they sound excellent. I have Wharfedale GSH12-30's in my 2x12 cabinet, which are basically G12H-30's. The amp sounds great on those, but I can't wind it out without fear of blowing 'em.

I forgot You had a "V". NICE.

Yessir! That 500T in the bridge absolutely lights that DSL up.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
Are the C's heavy duty? I don't really know much about them other than they sound excellent. I have Wharfedale GSH12-30's in my 2x12 cabinet, which are basically G12H-30's. The amp sounds great on those, but I can't wind it out without fear of blowing 'em.

Yessir! That 500T in the bridge absolutely lights that DSL up.

Yeah I thought the "C"s were a type of Bass Version like the G12H Heritage. The Wharfies are Greatly under-rated speakers.

Frankie

Reaction score
I really thought the C's were just a special G12M-25 they put in the Hendrix and VM cabinets personally. There's no solid information anywhere on the internet I've been able to find. Guess it's time to Google!

If they're bass speakers, they sure aren't very bassy. They don't have near the punch of a 75 or 30, but man do the mids sing and cut the mix out of those things.

Frankie

Reaction score
I guess a dsl and greenies would sound good with the green channel. Maybe not so good with the red..?!!?

Sounds awesome with the red too. All that fizziness you guys are complaining about is coming from those G12T-75's and shit. Greenbacks are pure pushing mids and sound fantastic. Great with JCM 800's too!

Bloodrock

Reaction score
I put Greenbacks in my 1960 specifically to smooth out my DSL, Works like a charm.

Latest posts