• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

DSL100 - advice

• Thread starter MG100
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MG100

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been using solid state Marshall for the past 3 yrs or so - generally I'm happy with the MG100's versatility. While the lead tone on the MG is obviously not ever going to be as great as a top end tube amp, it is decent enough for what it is and fine for the sort of gigs I do. Also - it generally doesn't break down!

But I am hankering for a good tube amp also....

I am checking out a second-hand DSL 100 amp this weekend - I've owned a DSL50 and 100, a JCM900 combo and a few JTM30 combos previously. If I was to describe the tone I'm looking for, I guess in-your-face 80's British rock would describe it (John Sykes / Whitesnake...). I like the amp to be just on the verge of feeding back (a la Satch). I found the DSL clean channel was ok - only gripe was that it shares the EQ with the lead channel...)

Does anyone have any tips for setting the bass/mid/treb/presence/deep switch etc. to get that sort of sound that I could use when I check out the amp?

My cab is a 4ohm 1936 2x12 loaded with V30's.

I mostly play an Ernie Ball Silhouette Special (SD custom custom in the bridge).

Anyway - if you guys who know & love your DSL's could share your tips/settings I'd be most obliged. Hopefully it will help me figure if this amp is for me.....

Thanks very much in advance folks.....

MG

Ken

Reaction score
Oh man, you just have to play with it. But you say you already owned one....what's up with that?

Took me a month to understand all the tones and distortion options. The presence is best used to cut through the mix live so I dial it way low playing by myself or when recording. Other than that, if your ears can't tell you what sounds good with your guitar, cabinet and playing style, no one else can help.

Me? For either channel I have Mid/Treble at 12:00 on my DSL 50 live and the bass, which is more like 3:00 and tweak accordingly depending on the room and volume. Deep on and tone shift off. I rarely use the Ultra overdrive. But I'm playing through a 1982 model cabinet with G12H 30 speakers, so that's completly different from what you have I'm sure. Besides, you'll just sound like ME with those settings! LOL You just gotta put in seat time.

Ken