DSL100H solder joints

• Thread starter dslman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dslman

Reaction score
I recently acquired my second DSL100H as I really enjoy running these in a stereo type situation.
I opened my recent addition , and prepared to set the bias, but noticed that some of the small ceramic caps, and resisters look almost like no solder was used.
I opened my older head , and it is similar in some areas, however all the tube sockets, and most components solder looks great.
I used a dentist mirror to look under the board, and it seems all the effected components are soldered from that underneath side , and look fine although I prefer to see more solder when looking at the components from the top of the board.
Both amps are super quiet at idle, hold bias, and function flawlessly, so I didn’t heat up the iron.
I imagine if both my heads exhibit this , others will also.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a dentist mirror to look under the board, and it seems all the effected components are soldered from that underneath side , and look fine although I prefer to see more solder when looking at the components from the top of the board.
Well, the traces are on the back of the board, so that where the solder is applied.

dslman

Reaction score
Well, the traces are on the back of the board, so that where the solder is applied.
Yes, I just like to see more consistency in the solder flowing through and filling the hole like most of the joints, I should not worry I guess.

Jon Snell

Reaction score
The multilayer board used nowadays have etched eylets. These only need to be soldered one side, if there is low current flowing and the flow soldwer machine limits the solder for cost reasons and has no detremental effect upon the contacts.
Any higher current places; heaters etc, have extra solder on them.
I agree, it looks shabby but as the accountants are in charge, this is the result.

dslman

Reaction score
The multilayer board used nowadays have etched eylets. These only need to be soldered one side, if there is low current flowing and the flow soldwer machine limits the solder for cost reasons and has no detremental effect upon the contacts.
Any higher current places; heaters etc, have extra solder on them.
I agree, it looks shabby but as the accountants are in charge, this is the result.
“Shabby” is a good description, thanks for the info. on how it’s done. I feel better about it now.